Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 8 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Eating more fiber could mean longer life
7 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2011 - 5:06PM #71
writingal1

CL--hi.

I found numbers at about 60 calories for a peeled baked potato. Leaving the skin on adds about 100 calories.

Putting cheese and bacon on a baked potato puts the calorie count at about 600 calories.

BTW--I remember that weekly 10 lb bag of potatoes very well. I think it was a staple in a lot of houses for a long time.

We had a lot of soups and stews with potatoes as a major ingredient.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2011 - 5:07PM #72
Christianlib

Yes, leaving the peel on does add calories.  But it also preserves nutrients.

As in all things---moderation.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 25, 2011 - 10:15AM #73
Erey

At the store last week they were offerng samples of these new chips made out of black beans called Beanaritos (instead of Doritos I guess).  Instead of potato or corn they somehow mushed up and dried black beans and then baked it into a chip.  Actually quite good!  They had different seasoning choices like chipotle.

Each chip, which is about the size of your typical Lays potato chip has 1 gram of fiber, which I think is alot. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 25, 2011 - 2:00PM #74
writingal1

EREY--black beans like most legumes do have a lot of fiber. A can of black beans usually has the total amount of fiber recommended for one day.

The fact that those chips are baked instead of fried makes them pretty healthy too--depending on what else is in them--IE like the amount of salt and possible presence of the almost-ubiquitous high fructose corn syrup.

I'll have to look for them at my store and see what the other ingredients are.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 25, 2011 - 10:24PM #75
Roodog

My wife will make a stew with stirred fried veggie mix, broccoli, peppers, whole peas and greenbeans and carrots. It usually has me rushing to the outhouse. It that what it means that fiber's good fer ya?

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2011 - 1:27AM #76
writingal1

Usually if one eats the daily recommended amount of 25 grams or more of fiber daily the body gets used to it and that kind of thing doesn't happen.

Also it is possible that that particular reaction is caused by an allergy to one or more of the ingredients in the stew.

Sometimes certain spices or very hot chilers can cause that kind of irritation.

Experiment by not using one of the ingredients each time and see if the absence of one of them results in the lack of that kind of irritation/reaction.

As always if you think you might have a phsyical problem it's best to consult a doctor.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2011 - 3:22PM #77
Roodog

Feb 26, 2011 -- 1:27AM, writingal1 wrote:

Usually if one eats the daily recommended amount of 25 grams or more of fiber daily the body gets used to it and that kind of thing doesn't happen.

Also it is possible that that particular reaction is caused by an allergy to one or more of the ingredients in the stew.

Sometimes certain spices or very hot chilers can cause that kind of irritation.

Experiment by not using one of the ingredients each time and see if the absence of one of them results in the lack of that kind of irritation/reaction.

As always if you think you might have a phsyical problem it's best to consult a doctor.

Aw, Gee, I thought that's what the veggies were SUPPOSED to do, relieve constapation!

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2011 - 4:42PM #78
writingal1

Roo--hi.

Not quite.

Regular ingestion of circa 25 grams of fiber per day (the usaul reommened amount for most healthy adults) for most people creates regularity--so that constipation isn't even an issue.

Fruits and veggies also are an excellent source of vitamins and minerals--all necessary for healthy functrioning of the body.

BTW--the veggies you named--unless you eat a very large amount of them in that stew --are not all that full of fiber. But if one does not ingest circa 20-25 grams of fiber daily then even a small amount of fiber "suddenly" can create in some the problem you mention.

For most people a diet that includes an adequate amount of fiber rules out constipation problems.

That's just one of the benefits of eating more fruits and veggies and less fat-bearing foods.

Another is that foods with more fiber tend to take longer for the body  to digest thereby levelling out the amounts of nutrients that get into the bloodtream over time--which can usually keep a person feeling full and satisfied over much longer periods than eating fat-laden foods.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2011 - 8:11PM #79
Roodog

Which veggies are loaded with Fiber??

St. Thomas Aquinas

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2011 - 8:53PM #80
writingal1

Roo-hi.

I have a pretty good idea but I want to do some online research so I can get a link for you. This may take me a while--so it will probably be tomorrow before I post the info.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 8 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook