Page 6 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Eating more fiber could mean longer life
4 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2011 - 12:33PM #51
IreneAdler

Feb 21, 2011 -- 5:53PM, writingal1 wrote:

For people who might be interested in adding a little more fiber to their daily nutritional intake--

Two delicious suggestions--

1--I have a friend who makes oatmeal most mornings (lots of fiber) and slices up and adds whatever fresh fruit is in season just before she eats the oatmeal. Her personal preferences are for bananas and also blueberries but she says that other fruit is just as yummy.

2--I have never been a "granola-type person"--but I accidentally purchased some from my local produce market and found that the kind they sell is so good it doesn't even need milk added  but can be eaten as a snack whle reading etc.

My to fave kinds--"Peach Cobbler Granola" and "Cherry Cobbler Granoloa." Each one contains the fruit in the title plus other fruit and some nuts and coconut.

I never in my life thought I'd be telling someone else--"This granola is so good it tastes like a sweet dessert.'

These are from the Sunflower Markets that we have in the southwest and come in a really handy resealable bag.

Do others here have good-tasting suggestions for getting more fiber?

Adding a few nuts to the cereal.  Try more than just oatmeal: Teff, amaranth, millet, quinoa, barley, kamut, etc.

Adding some veggies to the pasta (Might need to par boil them or cook them through first). Sometimes pasta needs the good crunch of celery!

I like making casseroles with lots of veggies (onions,celery, spinach, carrot, tomato, broc, water chestnuts, swiss chard, mushrooms, green peppers-not fond of these myself), some sort of starch (corn, beans, potato, winter squash  or whole grain pasta), and a little meat. For binding I use a little yogurt. Sometimes such creations are more stew-like as I start with a tomato-based product. One can get very creative with the flavor combos and use of spices in such things too. 

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2011 - 12:23PM #52
writingal1

Irene--thanks! That's a lot of good ideas. I am already making some notes for my next trip to the produce market.

I think the yogurt is an especially good idea since it is so much lower in fat and calories than a white sauce would be. I am going to try that this week--I have some Greek yogurt ready to use for that.

I sometimes use extra virgin olive oil (has more flavor) as the sauce when I put fresh lightly steamed veggies like broccoli, asperagus, cauliflower in with pasta. And then add some herbs etc to taste.

I hear that lightly steamed greens like spinach or kale or chard are also yummy with pasta. I haven't tried those yet but will soon as the weather warms up when I prefer lighter meals.

Also I noticed in the produce store I go to that they are now carrying durham wheat pasta. They have a big section with many different shapes/kinds of pasta. The durham wheat pasta is higher in fiber and protein and other nutrients--and has that nuttier fuller flavor.

And also is more filling since it is processed more slowly by the body than bleached flour pasta.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2011 - 12:26PM #53
Ebon

Lib, if you're still reading, the wholewheat pizza was delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2011 - 12:29PM #54
Christianlib

WG,

I often stir fresh baby spinach leaves directly into still-steaming pasta.  Cooks the just enough.

I LOVE a simple pasta dish of just pasta, extra virgin olive oil, minced fresh garlic, the spinach leaves, and a light dusting of grated Pecorino Romano cheese.  Don't cook either the garlic or the spinach, just stir them into the hot pasta.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2011 - 12:30PM #55
Christianlib

Feb 24, 2011 -- 12:26PM, Ebon wrote:

Lib, if you're still reading, the wholewheat pizza was delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

You're quite welcome.

We, of course, had it too on Friday last.  And will tomorrow night.

Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2011 - 12:32PM #56
writingal1

CL--Mmm! I just brought home a big container of baby spinach from the produce store so your recipe is very timely. Thanks so much. I am going to try it in the next few days.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2011 - 1:17PM #57
IreneAdler

Oh, yes- the pasta, spinach and parmesan cheese is a fave at my home. Even Limpy the dog enjoys it. Course, she does spit out the spinach while going ape over the rest.

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2011 - 3:45PM #58
Girlchristian

Feb 24, 2011 -- 12:29PM, Christianlib wrote:

WG,

I often stir fresh baby spinach leaves directly into still-steaming pasta.  Cooks the just enough.

I LOVE a simple pasta dish of just pasta, extra virgin olive oil, minced fresh garlic, the spinach leaves, and a light dusting of grated Pecorino Romano cheese.  Don't cook either the garlic or the spinach, just stir them into the hot pasta.

I make the same dish, but add sun-dried tomatoes.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2011 - 4:21PM #59
Christianlib

Yep, a good addition.

In fact, this is one of those good, basic dishes on which many variations can be built.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2011 - 4:32PM #60
loveontheair

Feb 24, 2011 -- 12:29PM, Christianlib wrote:

WG,

Hello,

Yes many variations can be made on this recipe. I like to add anchovies to this...

love

Good works will never produce faith, but faith will always produce good works. loveontheair
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook