Page 5 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Eating more fiber could mean longer life
4 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2011 - 5:49PM #41
jane2

Feb 20, 2011 -- 5:34PM, writingal1 wrote:

GC says--

", part of being healthy is eating all things, healthy and unhealthy, in moderation so, unlike you and Solf, I will allow myself potato chips and I will allow myself creme brulee and I do exercise, but I certainly won't over-exercise"

Neither Solf nor I has said anything about not enjoying the kinds of foods you mention.

Again you mischarecterize what has been said (and invetn things that have NOT been said) in order to try to make us out to be "extreme" in some way known only to yourself....

And I find it interesting that you have not inquired about WHY I have such a workout regimen.

I am finding this thread and the "sexist" thread to be very enlightening about some very old-fashioned ideas that still seem to lurk even in the 21st century.

WG

You have axes to grind. Not all of us do. Why would we wonder about your work-out ?

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2011 - 8:55PM #42
mytmouse57

I work out a lot, or gravitate toward the heaviest tasks I can at my job because I like it. I like physical exertion, and always have.

That's not for everybody, nor is it required to be healthy.

"Quality of life" to me, it would seem, means doing things you like.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2011 - 8:56PM #43
writingal1

Offering suggestions--based on experience--on how to possibly be a little healthier is an "axe to grind"?

I continue to wonder about the psychological bases for the  extreme reaction against such common sense suggestions as we have seen here.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2011 - 9:12PM #44
solfeggio

Well, yes, quality of life could, in general, mean enjoying yourself and doing things you like.  But, a lot depends upon what it is you like to do.

If what you like is steaks larded with fat, or driving everywhere instead of walking, then, obviously, you may think you have a good quality of life, but you body will eventually tell you otherwise.

And, yes, it is true that genetics does play a part in longevity, and we can't do anything about that, but that is why we do have to think so seriously about diet, and also exercise, because those are areas in which we have total control.

Generally speaking, humans do seem to be very tough creatures whose bodies can take a lot of abuse.  But, this is only a general statement, and it doesn't apply to everybody.  If diabetes runs in your family, then you would be well advised to adopt a low-glycemic diet, for example.  And if you had a parent who died of a heart attack, you really shouldn't smoke.

We're mainly talking about diet here, but I think we cannot emphasise enough the importance of exercise, either.  Humans developed our long legs for the express purpose of moving them!  We're meant to walk and run.  And, like mytmouse and writingal, I enjoy exercise to the point where, if for some reason I am not able to get in my daily walk, I really feel as if something important is missing for that day.

Anybody who has read the Sue Grafton novels will know what I'm talking about.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2011 - 9:16PM #45
jane2

Feb 20, 2011 -- 8:56PM, writingal1 wrote:

Offering suggestions--based on experience--on how to possibly be a little healthier is an "axe to grind"?

I continue to wonder about the psychological bases for the  extreme reaction against such common sense suggestions as we have seen here.

Many suggestions here are superflous to some posters..

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2011 - 9:21PM #46
solfeggio

That's probably true, Jane, but you have to take into consideration the fact that there may be lurkers who don't post but do read what people say.   And, it is just possible that one of them might learn something that would help this person to live a healthier life.

That's what I always consider, anyway, when writing something.  The regulars are pretty familiar with where everybody stands, but there will always be newcomers and lurkers who could benefit from a little good diet advice.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2011 - 9:30PM #47
jane2

Feb 20, 2011 -- 9:21PM, solfeggio wrote:

That's probably true, Jane, but you have to take into consideration the fact that there may be lurkers who don't post but do read what people say.   And, it is just possible that one of them might learn something that would help this person to live a healthier life.

That's what I always consider, anyway, when writing something.  The regulars are pretty familiar with where everybody stands, but there will always be newcomers and lurkers who could benefit from a little good diet advice.

Tongue in Cheek, Solf

I thought that was why God created The Today Show.......................

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2011 - 5:53PM #48
writingal1

For people who might be interested in adding a little more fiber to their daily nutritional intake--

Two delicious suggestions--

1--I have a friend who makes oatmeal most mornings (lots of fiber) and slices up and adds whatever fresh fruit is in season just before she eats the oatmeal. Her personal preferences are for bananas and also blueberries but she says that other fruit is just as yummy.

2--I have never been a "granola-type person"--but I accidentally purchased some from my local produce market and found that the kind they sell is so good it doesn't even need milk added  but can be eaten as a snack whle reading etc.

My to fave kinds--"Peach Cobbler Granola" and "Cherry Cobbler Granoloa." Each one contains the fruit in the title plus other fruit and some nuts and coconut.

I never in my life thought I'd be telling someone else--"This granola is so good it tastes like a sweet dessert.'

These are from the Sunflower Markets that we have in the southwest and come in a really handy resealable bag.

Do others here have good-tasting suggestions for getting more fiber?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2011 - 5:56PM #49
writingal1

Feb 20, 2011 -- 9:21PM, solfeggio wrote:

Solf--hi. I always keep the reading-but-not-posting people in mind when I post info.

I've been a college teacher--have you taught? It may be a teaching mindset....;)

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2011 - 12:15AM #50
writingal1

While at the store I thought of another tip for a tasty way to increase fiber intake--most stores now carry "Multi-grain" pastas which have significantly more fiber than the single grain white pastas.

An added benefit is that these pastas usually have a delicious "nutlike" flavor and most stores have them in their own store brands so that the price is not significantly different from the bleached pastas.

Use them the way you'd use the bleached single-grain pastas. Once you taste it you might find yourself coming up with additional ways to use them because they are so delicious.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook