Page 10 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Switch to Forum Live View Eating more fiber could mean longer life
3 years ago  ::  Feb 27, 2011 - 7:34PM #91
jane2

Feb 27, 2011 -- 4:03PM, Iwantamotto wrote:

solfeggio:   how dietary rules are always changing or

But they DO change.  One minute eggs are going to kill you, another minute and they're going to save your life.  Dietary rules change because of the agendas of various members of the food industry ... INCLUDING veggie farmers and health-food industries.  The REAL reason Person A can eat nothing but meat and live a long life and Person B can eat nothing but broccoli and live a long life and Person C can eat nothing but peanut butter sandwiches and live a long life is that everyone is *GASP* different and everyone has their own specific needs, which is something NOBODY in the food industries, from the cow people to the beet people seem to be able to recognize, because unless everyone subscribes to their program, they can't be as rich as they want to be.

And nobody ever defines 'moderation.'  I think what most people would like to believe is that it means you can eat anything and everything your little heart desires and not worry about it.

Eat some meat.  The veggies are making you rather slow, to the point of being silly.  :P

At any rate, as numerous medical studies have shown, the high-fiber diet is best for us

Not for people who must have a low-fiber diet.  Not ... everyone ... has ... equal ... needs.

The definition of 'moderation' is too vague and general a term to have any meaningful use when talking about diet.

Don't starve yourself.  Don't eat until you pop.  Is that so hard to grasp?

tmore35:  In my case it is likely that genetics has made a contribution to my cardiac problems. This is a major area in life we have absolutely no control over. My mom and her five brothers and sisters all had heart trouble.  However, most of them lived into their 80s, after going through heart attacks, open heart surgeries, medications and other procedures.

My family is rather long-lived, living well into the 80s if not 90s ... and I can guarantee you they didn't eat "healthy" throughout the years, nor did they live "healthy".  Usually, about the only time you die earlier than 80 is if something catastrophic hits you (like a Mack truck or something, LOL).  Whenever doctors ask me for a history, I tell them it's easier to say what family DIDN'T have, and I don't really worry about cancer because for the most part it only really shows up around the time I'm too old to do anything about it, really.  I'm not about to listen to people tell me how to live.  Given how picky of an eater I was, and to a lesser extent still am, I'm surprised I lived through childhood.  But I did -- which implies any devotee of any specific diet doesn't know what they are talking about at all.

writingal1:  Neither Solf nor I has said anything about not enjoying the kinds of foods you mention.

Except for the part where we are all going to die if we don't eat like you?

mytmouse57:  That's not for everybody, nor is it required to be healthy.

Samson, Hercules, John Henry ... all very fit and athletic folks.  All died young. :P

solfeggio:  If what you like is steaks larded with fat, or driving everywhere instead of walking, then, obviously, you may think you have a good quality of life, but you body will eventually tell you otherwise.

Unless your body, for one reason or another, can process it well.  I can eat a whole roll of crackers and not see a single spike in my blood pressure.  I can eat things with lots of sugar and my insulin does just peachy.  I am never told, aside from some whining about my weight, that my life is awful.  My family can live through lots of bad things.  My brother had a fever when he was a kid well over 100.  The doctors said he should be dead or severely brain-damaged.  And yet he is alive and well and very bright.  I was tossed out of a car as a kid (actually, fate tried to kill me off rather frequently, LOL) and no one said I should have lived.  And here I am.  I am not saying no one should be a vegetarian ... only that it is a mistake to generalize dietary needs.  Just because it works for you doesn't mean it's necessary for anyone else.

writingal1:  Roo--I have a friend who was rather overweight and who lost 50+ pounds by eliminating a lot of white foods (including sour cream and cream cheese) from her diet.

I lost the most pounds working at Burger King eating a mostly Whopper diet aside from breakfast.  Started picking up the carbs again, and got fired from a job that required a lot of walking (I worked at a zoo) ... and magically the weight came back on.

Great thinking.......................and fun.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 27, 2011 - 9:54PM #92
Erey

I too am shocked about the avocado, I had no idea it was that high in fiber.  Surely they mean only the flesh of the avocado and they are not refering to eating the skin.  Nobody eats the skin, right?  Just that seems like a whole lot of fiber grams for an Avocado. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 27, 2011 - 10:14PM #93
jane2

Feb 27, 2011 -- 9:54PM, Erey wrote:

I too am shocked about the avocado, I had no idea it was that high in fiber.  Surely they mean only the flesh of the avocado and they are not refering to eating the skin.  Nobody eats the skin, right?  Just that seems like a whole lot of fiber grams for an Avocado. 

Not that long ago avocados were on the "bad" list because of "fat" content. Now we all cook with olive oil !!

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2011 - 10:29AM #94
writingal1

Okay.

Olive oil and avocados are two different things.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2011 - 11:31PM #95
jane2

Thought this was interesting, from tonight's NYT :

Do you treat yourself as well as you treat your friends and family?

That simple question is the basis for a burgeoning new area of psychological research called self-compassion — how kindly people view themselves. People who find it easy to be supportive and understanding to others, it turns out, often score surprisingly low on self-compassion tests, berating themselves for perceived failures like being overweight or not exercising.

The research suggests that giving ourselves a break and accepting our imperfections may be the first step toward better health. People who score high on tests of self-compassion have less depression and anxiety, and tend to be happier and more optimistic. Preliminary data suggest that self-compassion can even influence how much we eat and may help some people lose weight.

This idea does seem at odds with the advice dispensed by many doctors and self-help books, which suggest that willpower and self-discipline are the keys to better health. But Kristin Neff, a pioneer in the field, says self-compassion is not to be confused with self-indulgence or lower standards

well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/28/go-eas...

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2011 - 8:12PM #96
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 10 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing