Page 3 of 10  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Eating more fiber could mean longer life
3 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2011 - 10:04PM #21
solfeggio

The definition of 'moderation' is too vague and general a term to have any meaningful use when talking about diet.

Which is why so many people like to throw the term around without giving it any serious thought.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2011 - 10:12PM #22
Girlchristian

Feb 19, 2011 -- 10:04PM, solfeggio wrote:

The definition of 'moderation' is too vague and general a term to have any meaningful use when talking about diet.

Which is why so many people like to throw the term around without giving it any serious thought.

The definition of "moderation" is not too vague. It simply means you avoid extremes or excesses on both sides. So, yes, I eat meat, but I don't eat it every day or every meal. Yes, I have wine or drink, but I don't drink every day. Yes, I enjoy dessert, but not with every meal. Yes, I make sure I get enough fiber, fruit, and veggies, but I don't freak out if a meal doesn't have enough of any one of those. Yes, I work hard to eat healthy and exercise, but I also enjoy eating stuff that is good, but may not be healthy and I don't judge myself if I skip a day or two of exercise. My quality of life is great (despite what WGal implies).

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2011 - 10:15PM #23
writingal1

Solf--hi.

Maybe by "moderation" they mean eating only HALF the recommended daily dietary fiber? ;)

Thanks for your kind words. Most of what I know I started to learn when I started doing daily workouts that include biking 20 miles and 1+ hours of weightlifting. etc.

The more athletic activity I engaged in the more I realized the importance of giving my body the nutrients it needed to do what I was asking of it.

And not impeding its excellent functioning with fats and other empty calories even "in moderation.'

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2011 - 10:19PM #24
writingal1

GC says--

"My quality of life is great (despite what WGal implies"

My post about quality of life was in reply to a post of Jane's-- a fact made very clear in my post.

Interesting that you have to comb replies to other people's posts to find "insults" to complain about.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2011 - 10:24PM #25
Girlchristian

Feb 19, 2011 -- 10:19PM, writingal1 wrote:

GC says--

"My quality of life is great (despite what WGal implies"

My post about quality of life was in reply to a post of Jane's-- a fact made very clear in my post.

Interesting that you have to comb replies to other people's posts to find "insults" to complain about.

I didn't take it as an insult. Your response was to the bolded part of Jane's response regarding being overly concerned about one eats. You then bolded her statement (specifically about being overly concerned about what one eats) and asked about quality of life. My quality of life isn't diminished because I don't watch every little thing I eat or drink.
But, it's interesting that you classified what you said as an "insult."

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2011 - 10:29PM #26
Roodog

With our liberties being strangled, and a move to enslave our kids as child laborers to further impoverish our nation, who really wants to live longer?

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2011 - 10:31PM #27
solfeggio

Like writingal, I am very conscious of the dangers of fats and avoid saturated and transfats like the plague.  As well, I am a true believer in the benefits of getting lots of regular exercise.  For me, that means an hour of brisk walking every day.

I really do believe that we should think hard about what we're eating, and choose carefully.  I really do choose to eat only foods that I know will benefit my body, which is why I won't go near fast food, snack foods like potato chips, or processed sugars, either.

It may sound like a lot of bother, but our bodies are worth it! 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2011 - 10:32PM #28
writingal1

Roo--another one who doesn't care about their own quality of life?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2011 - 10:36PM #29
writingal1

GC--I'm sorry you feel so bad that you feel you have to grub for every imagined way to "insult" someone who is trying very hard not to address you directly about eating and food issues since you posted about an eating disorder.

I try never to bother people with that kind of problem.

I will go back to not responding because I don't want to make things any worse.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2011 - 10:45PM #30
Roodog

Feb 19, 2011 -- 10:32PM, writingal1 wrote:

Roo--another one who doesn't care about their own quality of life?

I question whether if we as Americans have anything to live for.

It may be better for us to die.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 10  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook