Page 1 of 10  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Eating more fiber could mean longer life
4 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2011 - 9:50PM #1
solfeggio
An interesting new study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine has shown that the more fiber you consume, the better your chances of living longer:

www.sci-tech-today.com/story.xhtml?story...

archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/extrac...

And you're now saying: We all have to die someday, so who the hell cares?

Well, yes but, regardless of that fact, we'd all like to have as painless a death as possible, and the high fiber diet has been shown to lower the risk of developing a nasty disease like cancer in men, for example, as well as a lower risk of heart disease in both men and women.

Does anybody really want to have a heart attack if it could possibly be avoided by a change in diet?

So, what do they mean by 'fiber'?  They mean fruits, veggies, legumes and grains. 

www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09333...

Oh, and BTW, there's no fiber in meat, milk or eggs.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2011 - 10:29PM #2
jane2

Feb 17, 2011 -- 9:50PM, solfeggio wrote:

An interesting new study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine has shown that the more fiber you consume, the better your chances of living longer:

Well, yes but, regardless of that fact, we'd all like to have as painless a death as possible, and the high fiber diet has been shown to lower the risk of developing a nasty disease like cancer in men, for example, as well as a lower risk of heart disease in both men and women.

Does anybody really want to have a heart attack if it could possibly be avoided by a change in diet?

So, what do they mean by 'fiber'?  They mean fruits, veggies, legumes and grains. 

Back again to being overly concerned with what we eat. Be aware, be a bit wise and enjoy life and food.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2011 - 11:49PM #3
mytmouse57

I know one thing.

It makes you poop better.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 18, 2011 - 12:00AM #4
writingal1

Jane says--

"Back again to being overly concerned with what we eat. Be aware, be a bit wise and enjoy life and food."

Does the term "quality of life" mean anything to you?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 18, 2011 - 12:02AM #5
writingal1

Higher fiber food also make you feel fuller after ingesting fewer calories too.

Which means a possible lower weight--also healthier.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 18, 2011 - 10:44AM #6
Girlchristian

Feb 17, 2011 -- 10:29PM, jane2 wrote:

Feb 17, 2011 -- 9:50PM, solfeggio wrote:

Back again to being overly concerned with what we eat. Be aware, be a bit wise and enjoy life and food.

Agree. I get plenty of fiber and make sure of it, but I don't obsess over it. IMO, everything in moderation is good and leads to the best quality of life for me.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 18, 2011 - 11:04AM #7
Christianlib

We eat either oatmeal or yogurt with flax seed meal every morning, and have nothing in the house but whole wheat breads--and that includes our Friday Pizza crust, and the occasional batch of biscuits.

Of course, at our age, it's about trying to keep cholesterol out of our bloodstreams.  AND the fact that whole wheat tastes better.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 18, 2011 - 12:20PM #8
loveontheair

Hello,

I'm lactose intolerant so I will not go near oatmeal and mush just as I stay away from yogurt.  I rarely eat whole wheat bread--bread of any kind. When I do I choose a French bagget. My cholesterol is 135. I drink green teas. I drink alcohol in moderation. I eat meat in moderation. I eat sweets in moderation. I'm more interested in my sugar intake than fiber or meat. My $.02

love

Good works will never produce faith, but faith will always produce good works. loveontheair
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 18, 2011 - 12:31PM #9
newsjunkie

I'm with jane and girlchristian. The middle way is usually best. I do eat a certain amount of crap, but a lot of good stuff, too. I work out at least 6 hours per week. That's a lot more than I used to, and good enough for me. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 18, 2011 - 2:12PM #10
Yavanna

Feb 18, 2011 -- 12:31PM, newsjunkie wrote:

I'm with jane and girlchristian. The middle way is usually best. I do eat a certain amount of crap, but a lot of good stuff, too. I work out at least 6 hours per week. That's a lot more than I used to, and good enough for me. 

I agree. With how much dietary standards fluctuate, one could dig themselves an early grave worrying about them and trying to keep up. Moderation, discipline and good, healthy exercise are the way to go.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 10  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next