Switch to Forum Live View entering *dog shows*
4 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2011 - 11:29PM #1
lil_lamb

hello all! have been away a long time, so i'm a stranger really. my dog is the lilypup. got her from a rescue two years ago. we did the three levels of petsmart obedience and then moved on, with the same trainer, to nosework (scenting). which she's just been loving.

well, as part of this, we did the first level ORT (odor recognition test) today. this is to see if the dog can find the source of the first scent on the list (birch, smells like the dentist's office) and if the handler can tell. we fringed (meaning we were one box off) and thus were eligble for same-day retest (we passed). as a tangent, the dog before us *poufed* the target box - meaning he jumped on it to *pouf* the odor out and the whole room was overwhelmed with the scent of birch.

after ORTs, you can compete in trials. don't know about that. these things are supposed to be fun... but i can't say that it was.

first, i felt accused of abusing my dog because we fringed on the first round. the judges offered some handling tips after, but they really did not take to a show of interest in their tips. and second, i felt my dog was treated as diseased because she's a mutt. it's been very much, beyond our own little weekly training classes, *what are you thinking showing up here with a mutt?*

does anybody do these things? how do you have fun at them?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 24, 2011 - 4:03PM #2
appy20

I have never shown a dog before or did any kind of competitive obedience work but I have been on a dog board with people who show their dogs.  THAT was no fun either.  I came away convinced these people didn't love "dogs" except their own.  They were so adamant about hating everything that wasn't theirs.  

That was my experience.

Lamb, I just got two new rat terrier/chi pups and I am all for mutts!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2011 - 12:57AM #3
lil_lamb

((appy!!)) i've missed you! life has been too much for me since the economy tanked. hells bells. and those show people, found them a mean lot.

but hey! you got chi-terrier pups! do they look like my lilypup?!! i know they are just adorable! how did this happen? ... wait, i sound like a 60s sitcom... i DO know about the birds and the bees...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2011 - 1:54AM #4
appy20
I am sorry you are having a hard time with the economy.  It is a scary time.  I wish things would get better.  I hope things get better for you.

Hershey is ten years old now.  I cannot replace her.  She has always been a partner rather than a pet. I depend on her for so many things. I have loved many pets but I have not depended on any like I do her.  I have to have a watch dog.  So, I decided to get a small yappy dog because they excel at being an alarm dog.  Being that I work, I worried about the pup being alone all day so I got two so that they would keep each other company.   So, enter Dickens and Dobby.  My best camera was stolen so I only have cell pictures.  I will go find them and post them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2011 - 2:00AM #5
appy20
Here goes.  This is Dickens
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2011 - 2:01AM #6
appy20
This is Dobby:

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2011 - 3:37PM #7
appy20
As for the pedigree of these pups, it came about this way.  A coworker of mine has a sister who has a rat terrier that she got from her boss who was a breeder.  So, the mother is a registered or able to be registered rat terrier.  She never got the dog spayed.  The daddy was a rolling stone.  Just kidding.  He was the neighbor chihuahua or chihuahua mix.  All the puppies that resulted from the union look like the father.  They have his coloring and curly tail.  However, they are half rat terrier which is a very good breed of dog. 
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2011 - 1:48AM #8
lil_lamb

Feb 7, 2011 -- 3:37PM, appy20 wrote:

As for the pedigree of these pups, it came about this way.  A coworker of mine has a sister who has a rat terrier that she got from her boss who was a breeder.  So, the mother is a registered or able to be registered rat terrier.  She never got the dog spayed.  The daddy was a rolling stone.  Just kidding.  He was the neighbor chihuahua or chihuahua mix.  All the puppies that resulted from the union look like the father.  They have his coloring and curly tail.  However, they are half rat terrier which is a very good breed of dog. 

aww! they are so adorable and sweet! they look a lot like lilypup to me... who could be chihuahua terrier altho i think she's probably chihuahua corgi 'cuz of her use of her back end, lol.

'ppreciate the sympathy. if only i could invent the post-it note or something...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2011 - 11:52AM #9
appy20

Feb 9, 2011 -- 1:48AM, lil_lamb wrote:

Feb 7, 2011 -- 3:37PM, appy20 wrote:

aww! they are so adorable and sweet! they look a lot like lilypup to me... who could be chihuahua terrier altho i think she's probably chihuahua corgi 'cuz of her use of her back end, lol.

'ppreciate the sympathy. if only i could invent the post-it note or something...

How does Lilypup use her backend?  Sometimes, mine walk on their front legs.  

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook