Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Switch to Forum Live View How to Save 45,000 Lives a Year
4 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2010 - 12:53PM #41
Guessses

Oct 30, 2010 -- 12:35PM, Yavanna wrote:

Sorry solf, I'm an omnivore and I hate alcohol. Why suggest that we crave alcohol based on which ape we came from? Unless you inherited alcoholism from some drunks it's not innate. It's a learned behavior of our species. Alcohol is an aquired taste.

Genetics is adaptive.

Infinite Blessings
Mike/NAFOD
"Lord, please, protect me from Your followers!"
"WWBD? Buddha- Does it matter? If you are enlightened it does not. If you are not enlightened it still doesn't matter."
"If you go looking to place blame, eventually you'll wind up blaming the Gods"
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2010 - 1:15PM #42
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Oct 30, 2010 -- 12:35PM, Yavanna wrote:

Sorry solf, I'm an omnivore and I hate alcohol. Why suggest that we crave alcohol based on which ape we came from? Unless you inherited alcoholism from some drunks it's not innate. It's a learned behavior of our species. Alcohol is an aquired taste.

Yeah, but it's pretty good once you acquire it.....

Wink

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2010 - 1:16PM #43
Yavanna

Blech. All the more booze for you if I don't. Tongue out

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2010 - 1:19PM #44
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Oct 30, 2010 -- 1:16PM, Yavanna wrote:

Blech. All the more booze for you if I don't.

There isn't much of a shortage..... 

I thought about posting a "well you just haven't tried the right kind yet", but figured that you couldn't tell I was joking in a text based discussion, and aren't in my head so you wouldn't see how tiresome I really find that phrase. 

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2010 - 7:18PM #45
solfeggio

Whatever anybody wants to think, human beings as a species do have a definite taste for alcoholic beverages.  Of course, you're looking at a bell curve here, in which there are going to be those who don't drink at all on one side, and those who drink to excess on the other.  In the bulge of the bell are the average people who like to hoist a few at the neighbourhood pub on a Friday night or enjoy a glass of wine at home in the evening.

I, personally, don't drink for the simple reason that I had two alcoholic uncles, my mother drank too much (until she got religion and stopped), and my brother is an alcoholic.  I figured that the odds were that if I decided to drink I'd end up the same way.  The stuff tasted too good.

And beer has been around for a l o n g time:

www.geog.ucsb.edu/events/department-news...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2010 - 7:43PM #46
Guessses

Oct 30, 2010 -- 7:18PM, solfeggio wrote:

Whatever anybody wants to think, human beings as a species do have a definite taste for alcoholic beverages.  Of course, you're looking at a bell curve here, in which there are going to be those who don't drink at all on one side, and those who drink to excess on the other.  In the bulge of the bell are the average people who like to hoist a few at the neighbourhood pub on a Friday night or enjoy a glass of wine at home in the evening.

I, personally, don't drink for the simple reason that I had two alcoholic uncles, my mother drank too much (until she got religion and stopped), and my brother is an alcoholic.  I figured that the odds were that if I decided to drink I'd end up the same way.  The stuff tasted too good.

And beer has been around for a l o n g time:

www.geog.ucsb.edu/events/department-news...

alcoholism.about.com/od/genetics/Genetic...

Infinite Blessings
Mike/NAFOD
"WWBD? Buddha- Does it matter? If you are enlightened it does not. If you are not enlightened it still doesn't matter."
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2010 - 12:08AM #47
solfeggio

Guesses -

Thanks for that link, which proved very informative - for me, anyway.  I was especially interested to learn that the alcoholics in my family all suffered from behavioral disinhibition, as described in the article.

My brother, in particular, could be a poster boy for that condition.  He was lucky in that he got help from AA and has been clean and sober for many years now.  Others in the family were not so lucky, though.

Since a tendency to drink too much runs in both sides of my family, I've always been afraid I'd succumb, too, if I wasn't careful.  Not enjoying a drink now and then seemed like a small price to pay for not ending up like my brother.  When he got drunk, he was a really scary person that you didn't want to be around.  Have you ever seen anybody actually wildly tearing a house apart in a mad quest to find alcohol, any alcohol at all?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2010 - 2:21AM #48
Yavanna

Oct 31, 2010 -- 12:08AM, solfeggio wrote:

Guesses -

Thanks for that link, which proved very informative - for me, anyway.  I was especially interested to learn that the alcoholics in my family all suffered from behavioral disinhibition, as described in the article.

My brother, in particular, could be a poster boy for that condition.  He was lucky in that he got help from AA and has been clean and sober for many years now.  Others in the family were not so lucky, though.

Since a tendency to drink too much runs in both sides of my family, I've always been afraid I'd succumb, too, if I wasn't careful.  Not enjoying a drink now and then seemed like a small price to pay for not ending up like my brother.  When he got drunk, he was a really scary person that you didn't want to be around.  Have you ever seen anybody actually wildly tearing a house apart in a mad quest to find alcohol, any alcohol at all?

With all due empathy to your family situation, it sounds like you're projecting your own family background and concerns onto the human race. There is no racial desire to booze it up.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2010 - 11:07AM #49
Guessses

Oct 31, 2010 -- 2:21AM, Yavanna wrote:

Oct 31, 2010 -- 12:08AM, solfeggio wrote:

Guesses -

With all due empathy to your family situation, it sounds like you're projecting your own family background and concerns onto the human race. There is no racial desire to booze it up.

As I stated, Genetics is adaptive and there is proof, far beyond personal anecdotes.  However, personal anecdotes are the easiest to share for they are indeed personal. A certain "blood line" can indeed be more susceptible  than others.

Infinite Blessings
Mike/NAFOD
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2010 - 7:44PM #50
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing