Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View B 4 U GROCERY SHOP: Meat tainted with deadly bacteria is being sold to consumers; government forms '
4 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2010 - 12:05PM #1
Weepingangelofthetrees

Meat tainted with deadly bacteria is being sold to consumers; government forms 'work group'

See full article from WalletPop: HERE

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 02, 2010 - 3:40PM #2
Ebon

Without wishing to repeat the lecture that everyone here has heard already; stop buying supermarket meat!

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 02, 2010 - 6:07PM #3
solfeggio

HEAR, HEAR!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 02, 2010 - 6:15PM #4
Weepingangelofthetrees

What's scary is, even Vegetarians have to beware when shopping in the market place.

I gave up meat and now I eat veggie burgers. Delicious. And I can eat them without it eating at my conscience, that my food once had a face.

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 02, 2010 - 6:24PM #5
Ebon

I've tried veggie burgers sometimes and found them to be very hit-and-miss. The Linda McCartney ones you can buy here are really nice, so are the Quorn ones. The ones I used to get from fast-food outlets were invariably awful although the spicy bean burger that Burger King used to do was really tasty (and, as usually happens when I find something I really enjoy, they stopped making it).

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 02, 2010 - 8:09PM #6
Weepingangelofthetrees

Oct 2, 2010 -- 6:24PM, Ebon wrote:

I've tried veggie burgers sometimes and found them to be very hit-and-miss. The Linda McCartney ones you can buy here are really nice, so are the Quorn ones. The ones I used to get from fast-food outlets were invariably awful although the spicy bean burger that Burger King used to do was really tasty (and, as usually happens when I find something I really enjoy, they stopped making it).

I've not seen the Linda McCartney burgers at the local grocery. I'll have to venture to other shops and take a look. The one's I buy are Franklin farms brand. Original recipe and the portabella mushroom. Gluten free, they're rather tasty. But then again, I add a healthy dop of Heinz 57, some sweet onion slivers and red roasted peppers, while they cook so that all those flavors seep in.

Add some veggie cheddar cheese on top to get all nice and melty, and then put it onto a multi-grain bun with lettuce and tomato and mayo. Add a side of french fries and I'm deliciously good to go.

Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 02, 2010 - 10:12PM #7
Abner1

Ebon wrote:

> I've tried veggie burgers sometimes and found them to be very hit-and-miss.

My ex used to get the ones from Morningstar Farms ... ugh, they smelled horrible.  The odor was enough to make me nauseous, and she was very resentful that I asked her not to cook them or eat them while I was around.

Hopefully the other brands are better than that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 02, 2010 - 10:25PM #8
Weepingangelofthetrees

Oct 2, 2010 -- 10:12PM, Abner1 wrote:

Ebon wrote:

My ex used to get the ones from Morningstar Farms ... ugh, they smelled horrible.  The odor was enough to make me nauseous, and she was very resentful that I asked her not to cook them or eat them while I was around.

I know the brand I buy is. It's the only brand I've tried thus far, as I just started with eliminating meat from my diet. And thanks for the heads up on the Morningstar brand.Smile I don't need "smelly Ugh!" on my plate.

Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 02, 2010 - 10:54PM #9
Stardove

Oct 2, 2010 -- 10:12PM, Abner1 wrote:

Ebon wrote:

I buy lots of MorningStar products which are really good imo.  Bacon, chicken patties, chicken tenders, crumbles (used like hamburger), different vegetable bites, hot dogs, and corn dogs are a few non meat products I like. The company has 11 different veggie hamburgers at the site.

My favorite burger is MorningStar Farms Chipotle Black Bean Burger which I buy from Costco.  I do know buying veggie burgers from Costco the burger patties are larger than the same product from a grocery store in smaller package.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 03, 2010 - 7:38AM #10
Abner1

Stardove wrote:

> I buy lots of MorningStar products which are really good imo.  Bacon, chicken patties,

> chicken tenders, crumbles (used like hamburger), different vegetable bites, hot dogs,

> and corn dogs are a few non meat products I like. The company has 11 different

> veggie hamburgers at the site.

It was probably just that one variety - she used other products from them with no trouble.  But that one variety was sufficiently bad that I often had to clean the microwave to get the worst of the odor out before I could use it one on of my own foods.  (Thankfully I don't use the microwave that often.)  Alas, I don't remember which variety of Morningstar veggie burger was causing the problem.

Oddly enough, the cats agreed with me - they would flee the kitchen with their ears back when she cooked those things.  Coming from animals that will gladly eat cat food or a dead cricket, that's a pretty harsh review.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook