Page 23 of 25  •  Prev 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Fifteen Deadliest Food Myths
4 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2010 - 9:37AM #221
Ceren

On the issue of healthy food vs. cost:

www.rodale.com/eating-healthy-foods?page...

Eating Healthy Foods Can Save You Money

A survey published in early 2009 even found that people were cutting their food budgets by spending less on healthy food and more on, of all things, hotdogs! But a new study shows that you don't have to live on white bread and wieners to save money; eating healthy foods can be just as cost-efficient. The research, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that eating healthy foods on a budget is as easy as replacing some red meat with less-expensive whole grains and beans.

By simply redirecting your food dollars from meat to beans, you could save some serious cash and improve your diet at the same time. And, the authors write, the increases in AHEI score you could achieve by spending more on whole grains, nuts, and beans could lead to a 25 percent reduced risk in cardiovascular disease. By contrast, taking medications such as statins (those popular cholesterol-lowering drugs) lowers your risk by 20 to 27 percent, at a cost of $830 per year. Save money on food and on health care? What's not to like?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2010 - 9:39AM #222
Christianlib

As in so many things, much of the problem boils (no pun intended) down to education and ready availability.

Unfortunately for the poor in America, there are wealthy powerful interests who have a financial stake in preventing both of those.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2010 - 9:47AM #223
appy20

Oct 12, 2010 -- 9:39AM, Christianlib wrote:

As in so many things, much of the problem boils (no pun intended) down to education and ready availability.

Unfortunately for the poor in America, there are wealthy powerful interests who have a financial stake in preventing both of those.

It is just easier to eat more cheaply when you have more money.  The poor pay more.  That is the irony.  Poor folks buy smaller quantities at higher prices (they have to live paycheck to paycheck) and cannot buy in bulk.  They don't have credit cards so they can't always order online for things that are cheaper.  They do pay more penalty fees for things because a crisis is going to always set them back.  They can't afford memberships to places like Sam's and Costco.  

Once upon a time, they could do layaway for things.   Many stores like Walmart have done away with that.  The beauty of layaway is that they didn't have pay interest and if they couldn't follow through, they were not penalized with fees or bad credit scores.  

We have a system that screws the poor.  The rich do profit from the screwing.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2010 - 10:17AM #224
belleo

My husband eats beans everyday I don't because it doesn't agree with my gastropareses . I use to eat lots of meat . I don't anymore . I hardly ate it as a kid . Since northern Ontario , Canada had little sun we all lacked vitamin D. My doctor gets me to take it now 1000 MG of it a day . I do eat lots of fruit today and vegetables . We grow our own veggies .

I'm not sure that buying in bulk is useful . A friend on mine had bought lots of barley and she had to throw it outbecause of worms or whatever these things were called . And cereal when bought in large amounts become stale after a given time . I had a Cheerios box the only cereal I eat and it tasted awful . The company just said it's expired .

My son lives in Asia and he shops fresh daily . He says its a pain but it is well worth it . It's pumpkin time here . There it is pumpkin time all the time . It is low in carbohydrate . Lots of recipes if one googlies Korean recipes for pumpkin . I have acquired a taste for pumpkin

Just me
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2010 - 10:26AM #225
Christianlib

Let's look at it this way, according to the Consumer's Union, in 2004 alone, the Fast Food, Candy, and Soft Drink industries spent $11.26 BILLION on advertising in the US.  Meanwhile, $9.55 MILLION was spent to promote healthy eating.

Notice the "B" and the "M."  That's a more than 10 to 1 difference.  And, in advertising and mass communications, "Share of Voice" is everything.  In other words, he who can afford to shout the loudest WILL be the voice heard.

$11.26 BILLION buys a lot of noise.

Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2010 - 11:21AM #226
IreneAdler

Oct 12, 2010 -- 10:17AM, belleo wrote:

My husband eats beans everyday I don't because it doesn't agree with my gastropareses . I use to eat lots of meat . I don't anymore . I hardly ate it as a kid . Since northern Ontario , Canada had little sun we all lacked vitamin D. My doctor gets me to take it now 1000 MG of it a day . I do eat lots of fruit today and vegetables . We grow our own veggies .

I'm not sure that buying in bulk is useful . A friend on mine had bought lots of barley and she had to throw it outbecause of worms or whatever these things were called . And cereal when bought in large amounts become stale after a given time . I had a Cheerios box the only cereal I eat and it tasted awful . The company just said it's expired .

My son lives in Asia and he shops fresh daily . He says its a pain but it is well worth it . It's pumpkin time here . There it is pumpkin time all the time . It is low in carbohydrate . Lots of recipes if one googlies Korean recipes for pumpkin . I have acquired a taste for pumpkin

I have found that if one freezes dry grains, pasta, etc. for a week or more, and then stores well-sealed in pantry, worms/bugs won't infest. Not sure if freezing will help the Cheerios though.

But then, one requires a freezer to do this.  Not something everyone has.  

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2010 - 11:23AM #227
Christianlib

Don't know about beans, but a dry Bay Leaf tossed in a canister of flour will keep weavils out.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2010 - 11:42AM #228
IreneAdler

Oct 12, 2010 -- 10:26AM, Christianlib wrote:

Let's look at it this way, according to the Consumer's Union, in 2004 alone, the Fast Food, Candy, and Soft Drink industries spent $11.26 BILLION on advertising in the US.  Meanwhile, $9.55 MILLION was spent to promote healthy eating.

Notice the "B" and the "M."  That's a more than 10 to 1 difference.  And, in advertising and mass communications, "Share of Voice" is everything.  In other words, he who can afford to shout the loudest WILL be the voice heard.

Guess the lowly tomato, bean or banana hasn't the lobby that the mighty Big Mac has behind it. Sigh.

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2010 - 11:44AM #229
Christianlib

Oct 12, 2010 -- 11:42AM, IreneAdler wrote:

Oct 12, 2010 -- 10:26AM, Christianlib wrote:

Guess the lowly tomato, bean or banana hasn't the lobby that the mighty Big Mac has behind it. Sigh.

Irene.

Neither the lobby nor the gigantic advertising budget.  There's a reason they give away toys with those meals you know.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2010 - 12:04PM #230
Erey

Oct 12, 2010 -- 11:23AM, Christianlib wrote:

Don't know about beans, but a dry Bay Leaf tossed in a canister of flour will keep weavils out.

I would like to think so but unfortunately that is probably not true.

I have a weavil problem Yell.  Last night I was pitching the spices that have weavils in them and I came across a small bag of bayleafs fraught with weavils.  They were having a party in my little bag of bay leaves.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 23 of 25  •  Prev 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook