Page 12 of 12  •  Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12
Switch to Forum Live View $ 75,000 a year is happiness, more not needed
4 years ago  ::  Sep 23, 2010 - 4:23PM #111
CharikIeia

Sep 23, 2010 -- 2:12PM, arielg wrote:

Char has a point. The poor have a higher level of angst not  because their material needs aren't satisfied, but because their basic  needs aren't satisfied. There is something to money bringing less stress  (and therefore more happiness).

I don't think you could find a better example of materialism,  a doctrine that material success and progress are the highest values in life.

It doesn't   matter how I treat others or how I live, as long as I have what I want.

Karl Marx would be proud...

I think you might benefit from sitting more. Your thinking is completely undisciplined here.

What you say is off topic, fully unrelated to the research in question. Kahneman and Deaton did not ever suggest "material success and progress are the highest values in life", and in fact, Irene's reference to Maslow makes clear that material stuff is rather lowest in life, if that escaped you. Nor did Kahneman and Deaton say it doesn't matter how you treat others, and so on.

All these additions are your very own free associations, following only your own private logic.

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 02, 2010 - 3:26AM #112
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2011 - 2:50AM #113
walter08

While a definitive response to the query “What is happiness?” will permanently stay elusive, Drs. Angus Deaton and Daniel Kahneman, of Princeton University, have attempted to find contentment in numbers. Specifically, the physician duo investigated replies to the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index (GHWBI) questionnaire. Curiously, households in the U.S. gaining exactly $75,000 per year were found to be most joyful. Article resource: People are happiest at $75,000 per year, says study

But I do not totally agree with them. If a person doesn't know how to feel contentment he can never be happy no matter what he achieve in his life. Sure thing $75, 000 a year is really such a great money. But the happiness that you feel is only shallow. This maybe cliché but if we do not feel any love for ourselves and to others we're like zombies in this world. Seems alive in the outside but dead deep down inside

Quick Reply
Cancel
10 months ago  ::  Jan 09, 2014 - 2:33AM #114
Norm_uk

Sep 7, 2010 -- 3:01PM, Hatman wrote:

i agree with Appy, including her vague estimates. Setting an exact monetary value is just stupid. After all, 50 years ago that figure could just as easily have been 7,500, as the authors do not account for the engineered inflation that robs individuals of the value of their ersatz "money" as time passes, e.g.: "Inflation has now been institutionalized at a fairly constant 5% per year. This has been determined to be the optimum level for generating the most revenue without causing public alarm. A 5% devaluation applies, not only to the money earned this year, but to all that is left over from previous years. At the end of the first year, a dollar is worth 95 cents. At the end of the second year, the 95 cents is reduced again by 5%, leaving its worth at 90 cents, and so on. By the time a person has worked 20 years, the government will have confiscated 64% of every dollar he saved over those years. By the time he has worked 45 years, the hidden tax will be 90%. The government will take virtually everything a person saves over a lifetime." -- G. Edward Griffin, American Historian, Author With goodwill to all the People- Hatman

Doesn't inflation compound? A 5% inflation rate two years running would actually mean your $100 is worth $90.25 in the second year.

Just saving money is not very useful long term unless you can earn enough interest to at least keep up with inflation. There's a reason why people who are serious about having enough money to retire on invest in stocks, bonds, property and business. Unless you are saving huge amounts your dollar will decrease in value while you are being taxed. Of course there are tax efficient savings out there as well as any Financial Planner of note could tell you.

N.

Quick Reply
Cancel
10 months ago  ::  Jan 09, 2014 - 2:34AM #115
Norm_uk

I think happiness comes from within. Money is just a means to an end. It makes life easier if you have it and manage it wisely but it shouldn't be a source of happiness.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 12 of 12  •  Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook