Switch to Forum Live View Skype and good parenting
4 years ago  ::  Sep 06, 2010 - 6:51AM #1
jesusfreakgal

I was reading an article in an old issue of a magazine (I think maclean's magazine) where they mentioned how some judges are allowing one parent to move (with the children) to another (far) state or even another country because of things like skype, I imagine because the child(ren) and other parent will be able to speak to, and SEE each other. The problem is as the article mentioned that the parent might get to see things like the child's first haircut, but can't actually be there to take them to the barber/ salon. They wouldn't get to be there for a lot of major milestones as well (depending on when the parents got divorced and one moved to the other far state/ other country), such as firat word and step, first day of school, first day of high school, prom (parent not getting to see child off to prom and take a bazillion pictures of them), not actually getting to teach their child to drive or ride a bike or whatever. They would miss out on a lot. I also feel a lot of children, if they are young enough, won't understand why they cannot see mommy/ daddy so easily. I believe its possible they might even become angry at that far away parent, either thinking 'I am so mad that dad/ mom did not come with us when we moved to x' (I believe this could stem from the child believing that their parents will get back together) or whatever. Or they could end up mad at their custodal parent, being mad that they took them away from their other parent. I do understand though that if one parent was from another country or a far away state and had no real friends/ family where they were living when married/ had their kid(s) and they believed/ knew that things would be best for them in that other state/ country then it might create difficulties. It might be like if I met someone here  who spoke great english but was from another country and planned to move back. If we fell in love and decided to get married, I could decide to move with him. If my language barriers and differences in education system or whatever made it difficult for me to get a job in my field there (at least without some retraining or whatever), it could become the case where I either am either upgrading myself for a number of years or decide not to work at all (stay at home wife). If I ever had kids and then divorced, being not quite qualified to work in much of anything in that country, having at least somewhat language barrier(s) and such might make me decide that moving home to canada best. But in this case, it might mean leaving my children behind, or taking them with me, even if my ex does not what to move to canada.

JFG

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 07, 2010 - 2:52PM #2
Erey

divorce is can be really stinky and it is almost impossible to be fair.  It is best to be very picky about who you procreate with.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2010 - 6:37AM #3
jesusfreakgal

Yes, it can be the case where people have been quite picky about who they have procreate with. I do not know how old the couple was when they got married, but I know a couple who are about somewhere 38-41 who just had their first child this year. They could have been married for 10+ years. Then, in 10 years from now they could (personally doubt it, but who knows) divorce. For all I know, one of the couple could be from another far away province. Also, i had a best friend who I met in school in Toronto. Her mom was from the United States and her dad from Holland. If they parents divorced, they (either one or both of them) could have decided that moving back to where they were from was better for themselves/ the kids. Although there was no skype then, if there was, then one of them could have won that right.

JFG

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook