Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Statin drugs may soon be given to fast food customers with meals
4 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2010 - 5:52PM #11
solfeggio

The whole concept of fast food started with the hamburger, and the term 'fast food' itself has been in the dictionary since 1951.

Because of the clever marketing techniques associated with the rise of the fast food industry, people are perfectly willing to eat a food with no nutritional value, simply because it is cheap and convenient.

Will the fast food companies ever decide to start selling healthier food?  If healthy foods were cheaper, and junk food more expensive, then perhaps there would be more incentive for the fast food business to feature them instead of empty calories.

Meanwhile, here are some foods to avoid:

www.menshealth.com/20worst/worstffchicke...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2010 - 8:55PM #12
jane2

Aug 30, 2010 -- 5:52PM, solfeggio wrote:

The whole concept of fast food started with the hamburger, and the term 'fast food' itself has been in the dictionary since 1951.

Because of the clever marketing techniques associated with the rise of the fast food industry, people are perfectly willing to eat a food with no nutritional value, simply because it is cheap and convenient.

Will the fast food companies ever decide to start selling healthier food?  If healthy foods were cheaper, and junk food more expensive, then perhaps there would be more incentive for the fast food business to feature them instead of empty calories.

Meanwhile, here are some foods to avoid:

www.menshealth.com/20worst/worstffchicke...

I eat very little fast food, but most fast food "restaurants" in the US also offer salads, etc.

Personally I don't think a regular Mickey Dee's hamburger and fries are all that dangerous. Is the pickle on the burger dangerous? It's been 40 years since I could pack away the occasional Big Mac.

Don't get there much anymore but I do enjoy a Varsity slaw dog and a side of onion rings. The Varsity is an Atlanta phenom--the first built next to the campus of GA TECH. Great orange drink, too.

When I was in late grade school I took art lessons at the Albany History of Art. My dad drove me and picked me up every Saturday and we had lunch together. Occasionally he would take to a White Castle for a burger. Other Saturdays we had chocolate malteds at the counter of a fave pharmacy. Sometimes we lunched in the coffee shop of a prominent hotel with early pix of Albany. Ah, all girls should have a dad who takes them to lunch !!

So it goes...............

J.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 31, 2010 - 9:40AM #13
Christianlib

Well, the pickle IS high in sodium.  Not dangerous unless one is hypertensive.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 31, 2010 - 1:29PM #14
Beautiful_Dreamer

Jane, I *love* The Varsity! I also love that the buttons are back.

I hope they're not serious about giving out statins. When I saw this thread, I thought it was a joke. There's a *reason* you have to have a prescription to get them...just like any prescription drug, not everyone can take them. And we can't possibly expect fast-food consumers to know whether or not they are the ones who can't take them or who will have bad side effects, because the average fast food customer isn't a doctor.

More where that came from...

Writing I get paid to do

Beliefnet Community Host - Christian Faith and Life, Christian to Christian Debate
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2010 - 9:27PM #15
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook