Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Litter box tips/accident cleanup/odor battles
4 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2010 - 9:32AM #11
appy20

That is brilliant!!!!

Knock on wood, none of my people are missing their boxes.  Getting up the offending carpet has helped me a lot.  There is a point at which carpet just can't be cleaned any more.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2010 - 9:55AM #12
appy20

Most of my litter is given to me by a patron who works at a cat litter factory and he gets the rejects.  I have been surprisingly pleased with it.  I also use Sam's Club litter.  I pay $10 for 40 lbs of scoopable litter. I find that my cats like it and it really works well as far as odor control goes. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2010 - 1:06PM #13
Patzadvocat

Ooooo! Forgot about Sam's Club! I am paying 5.50 for a small box of ScoopAway at $ General. I need to go to Sam's! When the last three (bedroom/bath bound) females have been spayed-there will be little use for cat litttie except for a box for emergencies. Most all of my 15 use the cat door and go outside. I get one or two that use the kitchen littie box. During rain, or late at night. I got a free spay voucher for one female for letting the vet use one of my cats for an emergency blood doner. So kool! That is one $55.00 voucher coming my way! After all three are spayed and vaccinated-I can have my bedroom back again! (I TOLD u I am their Hooman! I CATer to them! And I just could not split up my 6 Grandkitttens! I promised them! (;-) I would have it no other way. People say "how do u afford it?" I tell them "One cat at a time" I get 9 Lives dry from $ General. Can 9 lives for weekend treats. I buy my canned fish for Tigger, my leuk pos. kittie at $ General. I get their yearly vacs just a couple at a time. It works out. 15 cats-12 months in a year. The shots are very important to me. Rabies/leuk/upper respiratory. cost is about 60$ per. One cat at a time. They give me back so much more. I love my fur babies. they are Prrrrrfect Therapy!

>^..^< x's 15 and luvin' it!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 19, 2010 - 12:37PM #14
Agnosticspirit

Hi padzadvocat, pulling for your Tigger kitty. As far as vaccinations go, doesn't your local animal control shelter or Humane society offer them for a lesser amount?

Question about vaccinations --- last month I went on vacation. Briefly considered leaving kitties in a kennel. The owner of the kennel said before they could stay there, I needed to show records of yearly vaccinations. The one I recently adopted (he's the one with half-closed eyes on the pictures thread that looks like a laid-back stoner kitty) just had his series of shots.. But the other big eyed kitty I inherited from my former roommate --- I don't have his records. She takes VERY good care of her pets, I trust her that she made sure he had his shots.

I understand why a group of pets housed together for board need to be vaccinated, but what surprised me was the recommendation that they needed yearly vaccinations? I didn't know annual shots were needed when kitties are kept indoors. Suggestions anyone?

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 19, 2010 - 12:44PM #15
appy20

In Georgia, we are required to vaccinate for rabies every year.  That is the only shot required by law.  But because FeLv and FIV are so prevalent around here, I get those shots.  For one thing, even though my cats don't go outside, occasionally, they get out and the darned illnesses are so bad around here that a hour outside meeting a stray cat could be a death sentence.  So, I get the whole caboodle of shots.

I do want to say that Petsmart is offering shots in some of the larger cities.  My nearest petsmart is 75 miles away.  I can't drive 75 miles with screaming kitties.  So, it isn't an option for me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 19, 2010 - 6:07PM #16
Ironhold

Jun 19, 2010 -- 12:37PM, Agnosticspirit wrote:

I understand why a group of pets housed together for board need to be vaccinated, but what surprised me was the recommendation that they needed yearly vaccinations? I didn't know annual shots were needed when kitties are kept indoors. Suggestions anyone?

Not only are they required, but some cities actually have public ordinances concerning this and a few reserve the right to immediately put down any outside cat they spot who doesn't have any sort of tags on them.

My recommendation is to simply pay a visit to your local verterinarian and explain your situation to them. You should be able to get some shots in pretty short order, and then be able to get on with what you're doing.

(We just had a rabies scare here in town; a woman called in a sick cat who turned out to be rabid.)

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook