Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
4 years ago  ::  May 26, 2010 - 3:28PM #1
jesusfreakgal

What do you think about the idea of school uniforms. I know that most, if not all public schools do not have them. My opinion is that is for the most part is a good thing. But I sometimes wonder about the cost. I know this is probably not a great place to get the information, but WikiAnswers said that the average price of a uniform is $150- $300 a year. See, if all public schools went to uniforms, they would have to be priced in such a way that students whose parents did not make a lot of money could afford them. And there might have to be something set up where students whose parents were on welfare had their uniform paid for or something. But I do see a lot of benefits of a uniform. Students do not have to think about what they will wear in the morning. Also there is less of a risk of students (particularly female students) from trying to get away with wearing something a little too 'racy' at school. I kind of find it funny though (only a little) that schools that have uniforms allow teachers (within reason) to wear whatever they want.

JFG

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 26, 2010 - 3:36PM #2
jesusfreakgal

I should add this question: What benefits and drawbacks do you see to students wearing a uniform to school?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 26, 2010 - 5:40PM #3
Erey

My kids have always worn uniform in both a public and private schools.  The uniforms were cheap about $8 for a shirt and another 8-12 for the bottoms. 

My good friend said it best, she is bar-none the most stylish and creative person with her dress.  She attributes alot of her style to growing up in those catholic schools in the carribean with their prissy uniforms.

She said she tried to rebel against the uniform - which gave her something safe  to rebel against.  She was always looking for ways make her uniform more creative which really required alot of imagination on her part.

She also said it gave the local merchants and business owners an idea of who the kids were and where they went to school.  Which was important because her peers like to skip class alot and they were always afraid that the ice cream shop owner or whatever might turn them in by calling the school.

Also it is an equaliser.  I remember craving expensive jeans and name brands and with a uniform it is a nonissue at least during school time.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 26, 2010 - 7:13PM #4
Tolerant Sis

I grew up wearing Catholic school uniforms, and while they were universally despised by the girls (I imagine the boys felt the same way over in their school), they were a unifying thing for us.  It gave us all something to hate that wasn't hurt by our hate. 

And man, those things were ugly.  We had a maroon blazer with a school crest located in a rather unfortunate place on the right label, a white short-sleeved blouse with a pixie collar, a necktie with maroon and grey stripes, and a gray and maroon plaid skirt.  In the warm months, we wore light vests over the blouse, without the blazer or tie.  We had black penny loafers and short maroon bobby socks that always slipped down into the loafers.  Our coats were gray with maroon scarves and hats and gloves.

We had a beret in the winter and a straw boater in the summer.  We were expected to wear our hair in a single braid until the age of 12, then in a bun thereafter.  Jewelry except for our religious medals and school rings was forbidden. 

Then there was our riding habits, our choir robes, our gymnastic uniforms (possibly more ugly than the regular school uniforms) and our *play* clothes which could be worn after four p.m. and before Vespers (the only time we were able to wear pants except on Saturday, when we could wear *street* clothes).

Back in my day, some 30 years ago, the cost of this ensemble was about $500 per year, and one usually needed several blouses and at least six pairs of socks.  It wasn't cheap, but it didn't change from year to year, either, so if a body didn't outgrow the costume, we could get away with not buying a new blazer or coat every year, or pass down our uniform to someone else.

Even so, I think it was a great scheme. 

First amendment fan since 1793.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 26, 2010 - 9:36PM #5
jesusfreakgal

Wow $500 is a lot. Was this a private school? If not than yikes! To the first poster, good that the uniforms are so cheap. Is this for elementry school or high school? I imagine one would be more expensive for high school but I could be wrong.

JFG

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 26, 2010 - 9:39PM #6
jesusfreakgal

I can see, for elementry school, why uniforms could be cheap. If kids got recess like I did, there is the possibility of playing around in such a way that could make the uniform dirty, and sometimes to the point of it being stained, and technically unwearable. If a child did this multiple times a year (say 5 of 6 times), you'd have to spend a lot of money on uniforms, especially if what the child ruined was the expensive part of the uniform (such as pants/ skirt, or whatever).

JFG

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 27, 2010 - 10:42AM #7
Tolerant Sis

May 26, 2010 -- 9:36PM, jesusfreakgal wrote:

Wow $500 is a lot. Was this a private school? If not than yikes! To the first poster, good that the uniforms are so cheap. Is this for elementry school or high school? I imagine one would be more expensive for high school but I could be wrong.

JFG

Yeah, it was a private residential school, so we needed outerwear as well as the typical school uniform.  But my daughters' and sons' private school uniforms in high school were something like $200, just for the basic blazer-tie-skirt/pant combo, and everyone had to buy their own shirts and blouses.

The uniform at the Montessori school was just a polo shirt with a crest and any tan pair of slacks/shorts you wanted, and that was cheap ... $12 or so I think.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 27, 2010 - 12:38PM #8
jesusfreakgal

You had to have/ wear school issued outer wear (coat/ jacket, scarf and gloves and such)? How come?

JFG

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 27, 2010 - 1:39PM #9
Tolerant Sis

Well, we lived there, and there was an expectation that we would be in the community as well in all four seasons.  We weren't putting on a coat or hat and going to the library and then going home to our parents; we were putting on our coat or hat and going to the library and then going home to school.

It was just part of the school uniform; we had to buy it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 27, 2010 - 5:15PM #10
jesusfreakgal

Was this a boarding school?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement