Page 1 of 11  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: Introduce Your Pets
5 years ago  ::  May 03, 2010 - 6:25PM #1
appy20

I thought I would start an introduction thread for our pets.  If enough people respond, I will make a sticky out of this.  This is what you have to do:

1. Post a good picture of your pet

2. Give name, breed, age, gender

3. Give a bio of the pet

4. Describe their "personality" or whatever makes them unique.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 03, 2010 - 6:30PM #2
appy20

This is Hershey.  She is a female, german, shepherd mix (her parents are known.  Her mother was a purebred German shepherd and her father was a black lab).  She is 8 years old.  I got her on Petfinder after placing an ad.  She is a brilliant dog and she helps me with my minifarm.  She can herd cats.  She will find horses.  She will notify me of any strange animal or human on the property.  She never errs nor barks at the wind.  She only barks when there is something to bark about and she never misses a thing.  She is smart, very good natured and extremely lovable.  She loves to cuddle and play.  Ball is her greatest obsession.  She has excellent manners.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 03, 2010 - 7:53PM #3
rasphila

This is Sam. He is a mixed-breed male (neutered) tuxedo cat, about 12 years old, although he doesn't act his age at all. A neighbor rescued him from under a car when he was a tiny kitten, but she was allergic and couldn't keep him. He joined a household with three other cats, but quickly fit in. His best friend was a big ginger named Bud, who died in 2008. Bud was the last of the cats who were here when Sam arrived. Since then he has had one companion, Orestes, who is actually my daughter's cat.

Sam is very affectionate and still very athletic. When he was a young cat he could get up on places that no other cat had ever reached, and he could run along walls. He has slowed down some, but still surprises us. He is playful, and can make a lot of commotion in the house, but hasn't got a mean bone in his body. He also likes to sleep in the inbox in my office, helping to keep the bills down.

My favorite thing about Sam is his habit of sleeping between my legs in cold weather. He has done it since he was very tiny. Fortunately, he is not a very big cat, so it is a pleasure to sleep in a heap with him.

"Prediction is very hard, especially when it's about the future."—Yogi Berra
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 03, 2010 - 8:05PM #4
rasphila

This is Orestes. He is really my daughter's cat, but he has become an important part of the family for all of us. He is a neutered male, mixed-breed, about four years old.

Orestes is an unusual fellow in many ways. He came to my daughter when his original people moved to the West Coast from Boston and left him in a no-kill shelter. He purrs almost all the time, loves hanging out with people, and enjoys a good conversation with his friends. He is very big—about 16 pounds (Sam weighs about 9 pounds)—and once had a weight problem. Since he got his weight under control he has become quite agile and quick. He and Sam can create a Very Large Commotion when they chase each other around the house.

His favorite activities are bird-watching and guarding the house from neighborhood cats. He is quite good at both.

Because he has lived in a lot of places (his first home, the shelter, an apartment in Boston, and here in Philadelphia), it takes him awhile to feel completely secure. I've written a lot more about him in a thread called The Orestes Chronicles elsewhere on the Pets board.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 04, 2010 - 8:38AM #5
Bohemiangrrl

I'm so glad we’re doing this!! It’s so wonderful to finally meet the pets we read about all the time!!

Ok, this is Yuna Boonagi Smith. (Sorry, I have 2 pictures I just love so I’m posting both):

She is 7 years old last month, female, mixed breed, blue-cream tortie. 

Yuna has a reputation as a b*tch.  She pretty well hates everyone except me and my boyfriend.  And she’s still not as snuggly with him as she is with me.  She’s terrified of everything and a very nervous cat over all.  Trips to the vet leave her traumatized for days. 

When things are normal though and she’s with me, she is the most loving and affectionate cat I’ve ever met.  To the point of being slightly needy.  She loves to snuggle, and sleeps under the covers with me when it’s cold.  She gives headbutts to my face all the time and purrs so loud it wakes me up.  Her most favorite thing in the world is to take naps on the couch with me.  And anything covered in rabbit fur.  Oh, and as seen in the 2nd photo, she loooooooves stinky socks.

She’s my beautiful baby girl and I love her more than anything.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 05, 2010 - 12:22PM #6
appy20

M & M

Male

Long hair, mixed breed

18 months old

M & M is our library cat and will be retired May 25.  I will be taking him home with me, permanently.  He is about 1 year and a half years old.  His picture showed up in the local newspaper as the Animal Control pet of the week.  He was a funky looking kitten with some Einstein looking whiskers and eye lashes.  A coworker brought the pic to me and suggested that I go get him for the library.  He was so odd looking, he was cute.  I really didn't think animal control would still have him.  I called and he was still there.  His Animal Control name was Midnight Moon which we didn't think fit at all.  We renamed him M & M.  His nickname is Emmie M.  That is the name he prefers to be called by. 

He is a sweet and somewhat prissy cat.  He has a very humorous prissy walk.  He is very spoiled and self-centered.  A bit more than most cats.  He does love a few people. I am fortunate to be in that elite group.  He will hang out and cuddle with me.  He loves to play with a cat teaser.  He never tires of that and will bring his teaser to me when he wants to play.  He will also stand on hind legs and grab my knee when he wants to play.

He grew into a very beautiful cat and we never dreamed he would look as he does.  He is very sweet when he chooses to be.I adore him.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 05, 2010 - 5:11PM #7
Christianlib

appy,

Weird!  I could steal that picture, repost it, and claim it was a picture of our cat, Christopher.

Probably completely different personality-wise, though.

Christopher is beautiful, and stupid beyond measure.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 06, 2010 - 8:28AM #8
appy20

May 5, 2010 -- 5:11PM, Christianlib wrote:

appy,

Weird!  I could steal that picture, repost it, and claim it was a picture of our cat, Christopher.

That is a coincidence.  This kind of cat was not common in the larger urban town I used to work in.  Long hairs are not often strays around here.  His mother is most likely Molly.  My Molly that I adopted.  Molly gave birth after I adopted her to WinniePooh Bear and Jasper.  Jasper looks just like Emmie except for having a milk mustache.  Jasper looks like Rasphila's cat Sam. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 06, 2010 - 9:44AM #9
rasphila

May 6, 2010 -- 8:28AM, appy20 wrote:

May 5, 2010 -- 5:11PM, Christianlib wrote:

appy,

That is a coincidence.  This kind of cat was not common in the larger urban town I lused to work in  Long hairs are not often strays around here.  His mother is most likely Molly.  My Molly that I adopted.  Molly gave birth after I adopted her to WinniePooh Bear and Jasper.  Jasper looks just like Emmie except for having a milk mustache.  Jasper looks like Rasphila's cat Sam. 

I was going to mention the resemblance to Sam (even including a smaller amount of white fur than in most tuxedos). Sam has short fur, and he is much smaller than either Emmie or Jasper, but there's no doubt of the resemblance. Even to the facial expression. Sam is as sweet as can be, but he always looks like he is Up to Something or planning it. A lot of the time he is, which is what makes him a fun cat.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 06, 2010 - 10:11AM #10
appy20

Emmie and Jasper are very different from one another.  Emmie's sense of entitlement is much greater than Jasper's.  Jasper has this very confident, strong affectionate nature.  I always compare him to Barry White.   Dr. Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuv.  A strong romantic soul. 

Emmie fits the stereotype of "cat."  Jasper, not so much.  Both cats are equally bright.  They are both too young to say how bright.  Young cats are still learning.  They are bright enough to call them above average.  However, they may end up in the really bright group by the time they get some experience.  They both learned their names very early in life.  At under 5 weeks of age for both of them which I think is a bit remarkable. 

Jasper gets into more things than Emmie does.  Emmie is more of an observer except when it comes to toys.  He really likes his toys.  Jasper isn't much on toys but he likes to manipulate his environment.  Open that box, pull that cord, open the blinds to see outside, climb on loveseat to wait for me to get home..... His nature is just so loving.  Yet, he is not a dependent nor clingy cat.  He is very, very confident, strong, independent but he loves with great passion. Dr. Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuv.  LOL  Any day, I expect him to croon a Barry White song.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 11  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook