Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View American Made Pet Products
5 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2010 - 1:36AM #11
Ironhold

Apr 4, 2010 -- 8:39PM, Lumbarpain wrote:

too bad the Billionaires cant bail us out and make some jobs for us Americans here...

It's actually a rather complicated situation.

The long and short of it is that the United States is slowly becoming more and more hostile to business.

For example, foreign nations such as India have far higher graduation rates, with their college graduates having degrees in areas that the US needs.

Likewise, business and labor laws are often arbitrary and can change at the drop of a hat. Making matters worse is that the different regulatory agencies Washington has in place often impose requirements that range from "difficult" to "nonsensical," especially when it comes to products or services that are to be sold to the government itself. For example, at one point in time the requirements for a government-approved glass ashtray ran 100+ words and went into minute detail concerning the size of the tray itself, the maximum number of pieces it could break into if it shattered, and the minimum size of those pieces.

Furthermore, some labor unions and other labor-interest groups are more about "what's in it for the people in charge" than what's best for the actual workers; it's less about synergy and more about $$$. For example, $2,000 of the sticker price for an average Ford goes right straight to the United Auto Workers and other labor unions that work on Ford's US and Canadian lines.

The end result is that it's often simpler and cheaper to outsource.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2010 - 1:56AM #12
Lumbarpain

My brother worked for Ford for 30 years. I own a Ford, so does my whole family.  Supporting these companies to later find out they outsource is sickening....I found out some parts of my car were made in Canada. I became disillusioned.

I know the world is ONE BIG UNIT OF MATERIALISM unfortunatley and its beginning to come to a head.  I gringe at the thought that this ,OUR country. cannot support itself WITH itself anymore.   Very very sad. But I will continue to not buy these horrid Chinese products and thank The Lord there are agencies that protect people and are good watchdogs.!!

And I will continue my frugal life, as God intended me to have.   WE need to build our own  country up again, but with green technology, no coal or oil,  we need the farms back, and hopefully Mr Obama will Do what he promised.......soon.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2010 - 1:59AM #13
Lumbarpain

Ironhold...are you the one who had that kitten dilemma in your yard? Or was it someone else on Beliefnet?  Maybe Appy..

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2010 - 2:23AM #14
Ironhold

Apr 5, 2010 -- 1:59AM, Lumbarpain wrote:

Ironhold...are you the one who had that kitten dilemma in your yard? Or was it someone else on Beliefnet?  Maybe Appy..

Me.

And in all honesty, I wouldn't trust Obama to actually build the nation back up.

For example, not only is Obama's Car Czar a total novice when it comes to the automotive industry, so are the people who were sent in to "run" General Motors. The end result was that the GM leadership had to waste precious time trying to justify even simple things like having the four different brands ("Toyota only has two brands - you can get by on two brands, too!") and trying to create an electric car.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2010 - 12:28PM #15
lil_lamb

you can't trust GM management to do anything about themselves. it's been what, 50 years since they started tanking? you should check out the piece This American Life did on the NUMMI plant this week and why GM couldn't learn anything from Toyota after 30 years. This American Life went and interviewed the workers, including the first bunch to go over to Japan to train in the Toyota system.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2010 - 12:57PM #16
Agnosticspirit

I switched from dry to canned food a few years ago when my little girl kitty went into seizure. After a rushed visit to the vet, labwork indicated she was in renal failure.... I was told at the time that in this stage, canned food is better because it provides more fluids than they would otherwise get. The vet wasn't sure whether or not her reduced kidney function was related to the melanine laced food sources from China, given her age at the time. For a time, I fed her prescription food by Hills Science diet, then opted to move to organic food with lower protein content similar to the percentage of protein in the prescription food. She loved Paul Newman's, Avoderm and Castor & Pollux brown rice, spinach and lamb.

Now that I have 2 younger male cats, I'm back to dry food... Started them off on Max Cat because that was the food the older kitty I inherited from my roommate was used to. (He doesn't take change very well)  Now that I've almost run out, trying a new brand (see appy's pet food thread)... Ordered from THIS supplier. store.allamericanpet.net/index.html

They're based in the Pacific Northwest, better shipping for this SoCal girl. Can't comment on their customer service yet since this is my first order, will post back later.

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2010 - 4:53PM #17
Ironhold

Apr 8, 2010 -- 12:57PM, Agnosticspirit wrote:

I switched from dry to canned food a few years ago when my little girl kitty went into seizure. After a rushed visit to the vet, labwork indicated she was in renal failure.... I was told at the time that in this stage, canned food is better because it provides more fluids than they would otherwise get. The vet wasn't sure whether or not her reduced kidney function was related to the melanine laced food sources from China, given her age at the time. For a time, I fed her prescription food by Hills Science diet, then opted to move to organic food with lower protein content similar to the percentage of protein in the prescription food. She loved Paul Newman's, Avoderm and Castor & Pollux brown rice, spinach and lamb.

Now that I have 2 younger male cats, I'm back to dry food... Started them off on Max Cat because that was the food the older kitty I inherited from my roommate was used to. (He doesn't take change very well)  Now that I've almost run out, trying a new brand (see appy's pet food thread)... Ordered from THIS supplier. store.allamericanpet.net/index.html

They're based in the Pacific Northwest, better shipping for this SoCal girl. Can't comment on their customer service yet since this is my first order, will post back later.

Your best bet is to actually give them both wet and dry at the same time.

On one hand, canned food gives cats the fluids they need to help keep going, as cats in nature tend to get their fluids from the blood of whatever it is they catch and kill; the trade-off is that it fouls their teeth over time.

On the other hand, dry food keeps their teeth clean and free from plaque, but doesn't give them any of the fluids they so desperately need.

What I'd recommend is giving them wet food at least once every 24 hours and then leaving a bowl of dry and a bowl of water out for them to partake of at their leisure.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2010 - 5:06PM #18
Lumbarpain

My cats love the water faucet and drink from it, although I give them a large bowl of filtered water every day.......I make a special raw diet, organic beef usually, sometimes turkey and puree lots of veggies the vet said the cats can have.  then I cut it with can food.  At night I usually give them their dry.  To clean their teeth from the days wet food.  But has anyone heard of cat chew toys??? My cats will chew on plastic bags and such...things that they shouldnt....but Dogs have them....why not cats?    

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2010 - 5:18PM #19
appy20

Low carb foods don't ruin the teeth---dry or canned.  Meat acids actually clean teeth pretty well. Those cheap grocery store foods with high grain contents are just like feeding them cotton candy every day and it really encourages gum issues. Good food is not hard on the teeth.  Magellan is genetically inclined toward bad teeth but after I went to better foods, all his gum issues disappeared.  At age 8, he has all of his teeth.

It is considered by many to be good for cats' kidneys to get some canned.  I am doing a very unscientific, impersonal survey on food and logevity.  My vet has clients with an unusually long lifespans.  It is not not atypical for cats to live 20 plus years here. 25 and even 28 happens too.  I am willing to bet, barring accident, indoor cats live an average of 20 years here.  Every time I am in the vet's office I run into these people. Their old guys look good too.  Here are my results thus far as to what these people feed:

Fancy Feast canned

Little Friskies Canned

Iams Dry.

Scraps and cheap no name brands at Walmart and grocery store.

I prefer to feed both canned and dry.  I am also big in varying up the meat source.  I vary the canned foods. I will buy at least 2 different meat sources a month in the canned.  I do get chicken every month but I will also get something either shrimp, turkey (this was when I was on Eagle Pack) and fish too.

Plus, I add human food to the mix.  They get yogurt. I also buy a rotisserie chicken every Friday night and the cats and Hershey get most of it.  I may get a short thigh. LOL  That is if I am on good behavior.

I also buy jack mackerel.  Jack mackerel is a small fish and supposedly has less mercury than the larger salmon and tuna.  I also feed, as treats, canned sardines. 

Magellan will eat anything and he is allowed treats of pasta, rice, vegetables, cereal or whatever he will eat that is healthy.  He loves spaghetti and mashed potatoes (homemade).

I don't feed any of them junk food except the horse and Hershey get animal or graham crackers on occasion. No candy or cake or cookies or pies.  I rarely have those things at home anyway. I don't have many processed foods. I do like Kashi pizzas and Magellan likes a small bite of that as well.  I don't buy other frozen dinners.  I do buy frozen vegetables and the critters get some of those with the exception of onion, broccoli and cabbage.

I do believe in varied diets.  I think that is why whenever I change foods, I don't have issues.  I have changed foods without transitioning many times but never had a problem.  They have tummies accustomed to more than just one food.  

Some vets are opposed to this but my vet isn't. I never understood the concept of putting an animal on one brand of cereal for their entire lives.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2010 - 5:25PM #20
appy20

I have well water.  My well is in the middle of my property which is a good thing because I don't use lawn products of any kind.  The only downside is that water is heavily mineralized.  It is clean and I have it tested.  It has an awesome taste.  However, the mineral content (calcium carbonate) is so high that the water can be white at times.  I had a filtered pitcher but broke it.  I need to get another one.  I used that for the cat's water. 

Our entire neighborhood has the same type of water and many animals live to ripe old ages here so it must not be horrible.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook