Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Beer Drinkers Rejoice!
4 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2010 - 5:02PM #11
rangerken

I highly recommend one of the fine, Sam Adams Ale brews. I speak from experience and also in support of thriving, local, Massachusetts business!

'Hic'

And I NEVER tried to get a girl drunk so as to take advantage of her! Since I have the alcoholic capacity of a piss ant...no insult intended toward the arthropod... I was fr more likely to get drunk myself instead. I do not recall any girl taking advantage of me, however Cry.

My wife, being of 75% Irish ancestry and 25% Scottish does not have a drinking problem. She can drink as much as she likes and is still totally 'in charge'...she says! Mary Clare, however, solely in support of her New Orleans birth place, SAYS she prefers Dixie Beer, which any Sam Adams lover considers to be weak horse piss.  But please, do NOT tell my wife I said that!

Ken

PS. Your non PC joke is fine with me, CL. However, if one of my female colleagues in moderation take offense, don't look for help from me!

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2010 - 6:42PM #12
appy20

::smacks CLIB:::

I am a red wine drinker myself.  Can't stand beer.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2010 - 6:52PM #13
Erey

With all that I am reading about mineral deficency in the health lit and in my own family if beer can improve your bone and mineral health it might be worth considering. 

The new aged 50 +female problem is vitamin D defeciency.  Even for women who eat their yogurt.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2010 - 8:47PM #14
solfeggio

Here in New Zealand, the beer of choice would be Steinlager, which is also the most exported beer.  It's also very popular in Europe.

www.beerbasics.com/BEERS/Tasting_Notes/S...

ALSO -

Alcohol increases the levels of 'good' cholesterol in the bloodstream, which can protect against heart attacks and strokes.  Moderate drinkers have a lower risk (25-30% lower) of developing cardiovascular disease than non-drinkers.

What's the definition of a moderate drinker?  That would be something like five glasses of beer per week for a man, or three glasses for a woman, roughly speaking.  And various studies suggest that beer may have more health benefits than red wine.

Men who think milk-drinking is healthier than beer-drinking should consider that fact that milk consumption has been linked to prostate cancer:

www.cancerproject.org/survival/cancer_fa...

www.drmirkin.com/men/8334.html

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2010 - 9:21PM #15
appy20

Nothing trumps genes.  My mother's family were tee-totallers and lived to ripe old ages with a few illnesses in the short months before their deaths.  My father was a beer drinker and died at 73.  My teetotalling mother is 86.  She is outliving him.  My beer drinking brother had a stroke at 60.

If I get my father's genes, nothing will save me.  If I get my mother's genes, I will be long-lived no matter what I do.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2010 - 9:30PM #16
Girlchristian

Feb 9, 2010 -- 6:52PM, Erey wrote:

With all that I am reading about mineral deficency in the health lit and in my own family if beer can improve your bone and mineral health it might be worth considering. 

The new aged 50 +female problem is vitamin D defeciency.  Even for women who eat their yogurt.

Is that because we've been told to avoid the sun like it's the plague, I wonder?

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2010 - 9:57PM #17
solfeggio

Yeah, it's true that we can't change our genes.  We're stuck with whatever we've inherited from our parents and grandparents.  And we can't change our basic personalities, either, which has some bearing on our health, too.

But the one thing we do have a choice over is our diet! 

My mom was a tee-totaller and died a miserable death from diabetes just after her 59th birthday.  My dad didn't drink, either, and died at 79 from a heart attack.  On the other hand, my materal grandmother was a chain smoker who lived to be 86!  And My dad's mother, who ate whatever she pleased and drank what she wanted, got to be 91.

We all know of somebody, relative or friend or acquaintance, who broke all the dietary and life rules and still managed to live a long and happy life, but that doesn't mean that all bets are off where we're concerned.

The idea is to maximise our chances for good health as best we can.  And, as I say, the one thing we can change or modify is our diet.

BTW:

Where the sun is concerned, I do think that people have been told to avoid it because of the danger of skin cancer, which is a valid reason to be careful.  But vitamin D is so important that we shouldn't get carried away.  I try to get outside in the sun every day if possible, and I use sun screen.  I also take Vitamin D tablets, too.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2010 - 10:45PM #18
appy20

Most of my mother's family was morbidly obese with deplorable eating habits and an aversion to exercise.  A lot of depression also.  No diabetes, high blood pressure.  Heart issues and cancer only in the very last days of life.  They live to upper 80s (and I don't want to live longer than that).  My mother smoked for 55 years and finally, six months ago got lung cancer and has been successfully treated for it. However, at 86, she is going to die of something.

Thus far, at 50, I have good stats.  Rock bottom triglycerides, low blood pressure, excellent cholesterol.  My lifestyle requires a lot of energy so I would not consider it a failure to die at 70. 

Like I said, if I get my father's genes (his family were thin and athletic and die young), I would most likely live to early 70s.  My mother late 80s. 

Recently they have found that overweight seniors live longer than normal weight seniors.

There is a lot more we don't know than what we think we know.  We don't know enough about any of it to obsess about any of it. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2010 - 10:00AM #19
Christianlib

An Englishman, an Irishman, and a Scotsman walk into a pub at the same time.  All three order a pint of the house ale.

When the pints come, every one of the three has a fly in it.

The Englishman haughtily shoves his back across the bar and demands a replacement, which he proceeds to sip.

The Irishman simply sloshes out enough beer to get rid of the fly and quaffs the rest.

The Scotsman grabs the fly by its wings and jerks it out of the beer, and shakes it, screaming, "Spit it out!  I said Spit. It. Out.!!"

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2010 - 10:29PM #20
Marcion

There was a fellow who moved to a new town in Ireland. Each day he would visit the pub and order three pints which he proceeded to drink. After a few weeks one of the townspeople approached him and asked if there was any significance to his ritual. The man explained that he had two brothers who had moved; one to Australia and one to the United States. They made a pact that each day they would visit a pub and order three pints to remember each other.

One day the fellow comes into the pub and orders two pints. Thinking the worst, someone asked if one of his brothers had passed away. The man replied that his brothers were in good health. He then asked why he had ordered only two pints to which the man replied, " I am still drinking to my two brothers, but as for meself - I have given up drinking for lent."

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook