Page 5 of 8  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What's a Degree REALLY Worth???
5 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2010 - 11:01PM #41
jane2

Feb 5, 2010 -- 10:46PM, Seth wrote:

It depends what degree it is. Different degrees are worth different amounts. Science, engineering and math majors make pretty good money. Philosophy and English lit majors don't have a practical purpose, and therefore are not compensated as well. But the real value of higher education is shaping young men into creative, free thinkers, who inevitably give much more back to society than they consume.

If I get an classical education, and I teach another something I learned, and that person uses what I teach him to invent immortality, we're all better off. Education works collectively to elevate the status of all people. But hard work is what people get paid for. Where I live, plumbers make $200,000-$300,000 per year. But plumbing is hard work. Everyone who makes money has to earn it. It really doesn't matter what a person does for a living. If one strives for excellence, he will make a good living.

Females can even make a good living, if they're inclined to work outside the family domestic quarters. I've found most females attending college just end up getting drunk and losing their virginity. Then they're useless as wives, because they can't bear blessed offspring of a fertile obedient submissive holy and chaste womb. Once a girl releases her blood and water, she can never do it again. It's a crying shame.

How warped......................You are off the charts.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2010 - 11:51AM #42
Agnosticspirit

It depends what degree it is. Different degrees are worth different amounts. Science, engineering and math majors make pretty good money. Philosophy and English lit majors don't have a practical purpose, and therefore are not compensated as well. But the real value of higher education is shaping young men into creative, free thinkers, who inevitably give much more back to society than they consume.

Interesting that you forgot to include females in this as well, but hardly surprising given the rest of this loathsome post.

Females can even make a good living, if they're inclined to work outside the family domestic quarters.

Do you have a problem with this?

've found most females attending college just end up getting drunk and losing their virginity. Then they're useless as wives, because they can't bear blessed offspring of a fertile obedient submissive holy and chaste womb. Once a girl releases her blood and water, she can never do it again. It's a crying shame.

Sounds like you're threatened by a woman who's smarter than you, may make more money than you and may be able to make comparisons because she's known other men. LOL! How... insecure, juvenile and hateful on all counts.

Interesting you don't seem to mind that college boys are more likely to participate in their drunken frat parties, but I suppose such double standards are acceptable to misogynists.

I'm curious whether a male who loses his virginity in college is also useless as husband material, or do concerns about "purity" only rest upon the the virginity of women? Why is female purity so much more important than male purity? Authoritarian control, purient voyeurism, paternalism? Yeegads, I hope you don't have any sisters or daughters receiving the benefit of such a twisted sense of "honor".

Feb 5, 2010 -- 11:01PM, jane2 wrote:

How warped......................You are off the charts.

I agree jane2 --- warped, off the charts, and positively medieval. This kind of mentality manifests the disgusting dehumanization some men inflict on females as a whole because of their own deep-seated sense of inferiority. They hate themselves and can only feel better when they tear down others... In this case, men who suffer from these delusions take out their own insecurities on half the human race. This kind of "entitlement" mentality is the underlying foundation of so much harm been committed upon women throughout history. I'd be interested to know where this poster lives and who his god is... Sounds like something the Taliban and other extremely patriarchal sects would laud and applaud. 

BTW Seth, you win the dubious honor of submitting one of the more loathsome posts I've seen lately. Congratulations!

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2010 - 1:07PM #43
mytmouse57

Feb 5, 2010 -- 11:57AM, Erey wrote:

I am glad you echo my experience of going to college right after high school.

This is why I think community colleges should be given a bigger share of the attention in improving education.

I think we do have alot of problems in k-12 but I don't know if there is a whole lot that can be done about most of these issues.  The facts are it is near impossible to take such a buerocratic institution like public education and make it work for each individual child.  And kids also have their own personal issues that school really can't address.

That is why it is important that it never be too late to become educated.  If you can take the time away from your family and work responsibilities and have a few extra hundred dollars you can go and expand your education starting at a community college.  I know this is impossible for some people but the dream should always be there. 

Just because you are not college ready at 18 should not mean you have no chance to improve yourself with education.  YOu might only need vocational or an associates degree which the community college can provide.  Or you might go further to a 4 year school and get a bachelor's degree. 

Community colleges are an awesome idea, for youth just out of high school -- but not focused enough for a university -- or older people wanting to expand their options. They also bring college opportunities to isolated places -- like my little Wyoming town of about 3,000 people -- that might not otherwise have them.

I've been thinking of going back to school myself, even though I'm pushing age 43, because the profession I got my degree was shrinking and losing jobs like crazy even long before the current recession started. And now? LOL, let's not even go there. Anyway, if I go that route, it's good to know there is a community college just down the street from my house.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2010 - 1:13PM #44
mytmouse57

"I'm curious whether a male who loses his virginity in college is also useless as husband material, or do concerns about "purity" only rest upon the the virginity of women?"

Well, I'd like to think I'm good husband material -- even though this will be my second try. But hey, my fiance seems to think so, and I trust her judgement.

Anyway, when I was at college, I didn't "lose" my virginity. I know exactly where it went!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2010 - 5:18PM #45
solfeggio

I agree wholeheartedly with Jane2 and Agnosticspirit that this 'seth' person is most definitely off the charts and somewhere west of la-la land in his/her/its medieval thinking. 

However, I have a feeling that the post was meant as some sort of warped joke just to 'get' to people.  At least, I hope that was what was going on with this person.  Because I'd hate to think that somebody hated women that much.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2010 - 5:39PM #46
IreneAdler

I don't think Seth's degree is worth a whole lot- assuming he has one.

Maybe he should ask for a refund.

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2010 - 10:23AM #47
mytmouse57

Feb 6, 2010 -- 5:39PM, IreneAdler wrote:

I don't think Seth's degree is worth a whole lot- assuming he has one.

Maybe he should ask for a refund.

Irene.

The first part of his post actually makes a lot of sense. If you replace young "men" with young "people," -- it's actually very insightful.

But he lost me with his views on women.

Besides, IMO, no man of good, strong character is going to be interested in a dim-witted, submissive woman for a wife anyway. We like strong, capable women with minds of their own.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2010 - 11:38AM #48
rangerken

My wife's Bachelors and Masters were necessary for her to be a regular army officer and to advance to lieutenant colonel...and they helped her get her current, civilian job. My son's Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) is what got him into the army job he now has, and will enable him to continue in it as a civilian when his enlistment ends next May. My degrees definitely had real 'worth'. I had to have a Bachelor's Degree to keep my commission in the army. Then I had to get a Masters to get promoted beyond major. And then I needed my PhD to teach college courses. On the other hand, my late father ran a 1000 store retail company very well with one year of college! And a close friend has five very successful auto body repair shops and he didn't go to college. Another friend and neighbor is a master plumber, and a fine one... no college there either. The value of any sort of degree depends entirely on what you need it for and what you do with it. Some are indeed 'worthless'... and some are woth pure gold. Some careers need them (medical doctors and dentists, lawyers, accountants, engineers), and some careers only use them as 'dues paying' things while the degree itself means nothing in terms of helping with the job. Non subject specific education degrees come to mind here. the college level courses i had to take to get my Massachusetts teaching certificate in chemistry were totally WORTHLESS!!!!...totally 'dues paying' crap. I was not considered 'qualified' to teach high school chemistry or physics even though I WAS teaching college level chemistry with a PhD at the time! But I wanted to teach high school students so I wasted my time and money and took the ridiculous, meaningless, unnecessary, and worthless ed courses... I have no strong feelings about this of course Smile. I've long been a loud proponent of doing away with this in Massachusetts...with zero success of course... teachers union loves such things so politicians are their usual cowardly selves. I think the union was happy when I retired last June.... no such idiocy re: my college teaching of course.

Don't you just love my subtlety????

Anyway, the whole degree thing depends on the career field... some justifiably need degrees, and many, if not most, do not.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2010 - 11:48AM #49
rangerken

Feb 6, 2010 -- 1:13PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

"I'm curious whether a male who loses his virginity in college is also useless as husband material, or do concerns about "purity" only rest upon the the virginity of women?"

Well, I'd like to think I'm good husband material -- even though this will be my second try. But hey, my fiance seems to think so, and I trust her judgement.

Anyway, when I was at college, I didn't "lose" my virginity. I know exactly where it went!

Neither my wife nor I had 'lost' our virginity in college. Both of us knew exactly where and when we had disposed of it long before we met!

Thank God!

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2010 - 11:55AM #50
LeahOne

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCRRe72mwwY&feat...

Peggy Seeger doing a song that seems singularly apropos ......... 'Engineer' in the UK is a mechanical:  my Dad was a Chem Eng.  He always told us girls 'You have the ability to be anything you want, especially an engineer : ))   I married an art student who turned into a software engineer, among other things.  Our 'spawn' is going to be a biomedical engineer...

Here are the words:

www.mysongbook.de/msb/songs/i/imgonnab.h...

When I was a little girl I wished I was a boy
I tagged along behind the gang and wore my corduroys
Everybody said I only did it to annoy
But I was gonna be an engineer

Momma told me, Can't you be a lady
Your duty is to make me the mother of a pearl
Wait until you're older, dear, and maybe
You'll be glad that you're a girl

Dainty as a Dresden statue
Gentle as a Jersey cow
Smooth as silk, gives creamy milk
Learn to coo, learn to moo
That's what you do to be a lady now......

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 8  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook