Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Pause Switch to Standard View Monkey Business
Show More
Flag appy20 January 13, 2010 7:10 PM EST

This has happened several times and I thought I was the guilty party.  Not today. I double checked this morning.  Someone is opening my closet door.  The monkeys have always been obsessed with doors.  They were (all but scout who was at the vet's office today) all closed up in my bedroom.  Again, their work.   They do that all of the time.  They reach their paws under the door and push and pull.  Sometimes, they do it too hard and find themselves closing the door.  Lately, my bedroom closet has been open.

I keep everything I want out of kitty reach in that closet.  I had thought I was very conscientious in closing it.  I have no proof that I have ever left it open. This morning, before I left, I double checked it.  It was closed.  Made a note of it before I left.

I got home, the door was open and the monkeys with Molly were closed up in that bedroom with that closet.  One of the things I keep in there are stuffed animals.  They pulled them out and had them all over the house.  Apparently, they didn't lock themselves in the bedroom right away.

These are very enterprising souls,

Flag rasphila January 13, 2010 8:09 PM EST

Very clever of them. These are smart cats. Watch out!

Flag lil_lamb January 13, 2010 10:01 PM EST

lol. such industry!

Flag appy20 January 14, 2010 8:04 AM EST

Now, the big mystery is how they are opening the closet.  You have to turn the knob to get it open.  I checked it 3 times before I left this morning.  It is closed.  It will be interesting to see if it is open tonight.

Flag appy20 January 14, 2010 8:12 AM EST

Doors are actually toys to the monkeys.  They go at them at a very fast pace.  Two or 3 monkeys get on one side of the door and at least one monkey is on the other side.  Door can be open or closed.  It does not matter as long as there is at least one monkey on one side.  Then they play footsy under the door.  They grab each others legs under the door and slap at each other.  They lie down on their stomachs and even their backs.   They push, pull and even slam the door shut.  It is quite a hoot to watch.

Rasphila, you are right.  They are smart and that is why they are such a handful.  Smart pets are the most destructive.   I am going to have to provide some sort of regular entertainment for them.  It is either that or boarding school. My house is a wreck.  I have too much stuff on the floor because that is another great pasttime. Knocking things off tables, shelves, counters.

If Rebel were not in the yard, I would put out bird feeders.  Maybe, the county will make a decision about my pasture and I can put him back out.  Then I could set up some bird feeders and some scratching posts.

Molly met Rebel through the door the other day.  She was in awe.

Flag rasphila January 14, 2010 11:12 AM EST

Jan 14, 2010 -- 8:12AM, appy20 wrote:

If Rebel were not in the yard, I would put out bird feeders.  Maybe, the county will make a decision about my pasture and I can put him back out.  Then I could set up some bird feeders and some scratching posts.

Molly met Rebel through the door the other day.  She was in awe.

Bird watching is great entertainment for cats. Sam and Orestes both enjoy it when there are birds to watch. Unfortunately, our birds have gone away for the moment because our trees have been host to a couple of hawks—happens sometimes in winter when the hawks get hungry and can't find prey in their other haunts. The birds make themselves scarce for quite awhile when they've seen a hawk in their usual feeding place.

When the hawks leave, as also happens when it warms up, the birds will be back, and Sam and Orestes will have their entertainment again.

Flag appy20 January 15, 2010 12:18 PM EST

Scout is back rough housing with his sisters.  They are a mess. LOL  Molly has been trying to get him to mate with her and he is like "sorry, I have a headache." 

Flag appy20 January 20, 2010 9:55 AM EST

Good grief.  These guys are a handful.  Cheetah jumped off my china cabinet and landed on my mixer.  It was cheap mixer I bought off of Ebay 7 years ago BUT it was a good mixer.  It hit the ground hard to the point that I am uncomfortable about plugging it in again. 

One thing is I need more cabinets to keep things from flying monkeys. 

If I can financially swing it, I begin redoing the house in a few weeks in an attempt to make it more monkey proof.

I do hope they mature into sedentary cats one day.

Flag Christianlib January 20, 2010 10:44 AM EST

These kittens are really fun.

From a distance.Surprised

Thanks for the updates.

Flag appy20 January 20, 2010 12:11 PM EST

I am not convinced these are kittens.  I have never had any like these. 

I thought Magellan was a challenge. 

Flag appy20 January 21, 2010 9:53 AM EST

I do have to give them credit.  Out of 12 cats, it was two of the monkeys that noticed when my roof sprung a new leak.

Flag appy20 January 22, 2010 4:46 PM EST

Scout has been stuck up for a while now.  (M & M went through this but got past it and is quite lovable these days) and now that he is neutered, he is really stuck up.  LOL 

Flag appy20 January 30, 2010 1:44 PM EST

Cheetah had a hard time with the spaying.  She didn't eat last night or this morning.  She slept until late this morning.  The funny thing is what finally got her going again.  While I was worrying over her in the bedroom, her siblings got an empty box full of those styrofoam shipping peanuts.  They dumped them on the floor and had a good time spreading them all over the living room.  While I was sweeping them up and fighting the two monkeys and Scout who was IN the garbage bag I was dumping the debris in, who should mosey in and SIT ON MY FREAKING DUSTPAN AS I AM SWEEPING.  Yes, Miss Cheetah.

Now, I didn't have a single issue with another cat in the household.  Of course, they were all so entertained watching the monkeys that they forgot to create any mischief themselvs.

Flag Bohemiangrrl February 1, 2010 12:07 PM EST

Awwwww!!!!

Glad she's doing better now.

Flag appy20 February 2, 2010 9:18 AM EST

Since Scout was neutered, he has become more charming.  He isn't as obnoxious.  He is acting as sweet as he looks.

Flag Christianlib February 2, 2010 9:21 AM EST

Appy, friend, why do I sometimes get the feeling that you think neutering of males is a good idea FAR beyond cats and dogs?Surprised

Flag appy20 February 2, 2010 9:35 AM EST

Feb 2, 2010 -- 9:21AM, Christianlib wrote:

Appy, friend, why do I sometimes get the feeling that you think neutering of males is a good idea FAR beyond cats and dogs?

Welllllllll.  It might be a good idea. Tongue out

Except, it really doesn't affect men that way.  My brother had a vasectomy and still remained a male chauvinist jerk.

Flag appy20 February 2, 2010 9:47 AM EST

Seriously, I don't like bad behavior.  I get just as much flack for being hard on women who misbehave as I do for men who misbehave.  The difference is that all men get their panties riled when I zero in on a male behavior I don't like.  Only the women guilty of the behavior I criticize get riled when I criticize their behavior. Women are not supposed to criticize men.  Men are supposed to criticize women--as unfairly as possible.  Those are the rules.  It is a double standard.  I just don't play by the rules.

I believe that we have become a culture that coddles those that misbehave.  We belittle those that do.  We no longer have any mores.  Magellan may be cute but grown men who behave the same way are not.  Neither are women.

I behave but I had parents that did not. I don't breed so that my parents' genes won't be passed on.  Others should consider it.  The world would be a better place.

Flag Christianlib February 2, 2010 1:09 PM EST

Feb 2, 2010 -- 9:35AM, appy20 wrote:

Appy, friend, why do I sometimes get the feeling that you think neutering of males is a good idea FAR beyond cats and dogs?

Welllllllll.  It might be a good idea.

Except, it really doesn't affect men that way.  My brother had a vasectomy and still remained a male chauvinist jerk.

Great diff between vasectomy and castration.  Vasectomy ONLY stops the delivery of live spermatozoa,  all the testosterone remains free to flow.

Flag Christianlib February 2, 2010 1:11 PM EST

Those are the rules.  It is a double standard.  I just don't play by the rules.

No argument from Lib.  Right On!, appy.

Flag appy20 February 2, 2010 1:14 PM EST

Feb 2, 2010 -- 1:09PM, Christianlib wrote:

Feb 2, 2010 -- 9:35AM, appy20 wrote:

Welllllllll.  It might be a good idea.

Great diff between vasectomy and castration.  Vasectomy ONLY stops the delivery of live spermatozoa,  all the testosterone remains free to flow.

LOL.  I know.  However, as tempting as it might be, I won't go that far with my brother.  At least he lives in a different state.

Flag appy20 February 4, 2010 8:11 AM EST

They have put a whole new twist to playing with the cat teaser.  I found Magellan's teaser under some stuff in a closet and tried it out with the monkeys.  They loved it.  Scout is very athletic and graceful with it.  After, I quit playing with them, Cheetah grabbed the end of the stick without the feathers and carried it, teasing Scout who chased the feather end.  Eventually, they both were carrying ends of it around the living room.  It was fun to watch.    They had a good time too. 

Jasper and Molly also enjoyed it as well. 

Flag appy20 February 23, 2010 8:44 AM EST

The monkeys are very weird beasts.  Scout has become a serious talker.  Not a lover.  Except when I am about to leave for work or go to bed at night, he frantically begins talking to me.  I have no clue what he is trying to tell me but he is definitely doing his best to communicate. 

The rest of the time, he is just stuck up.  LOL

Flag rasphila February 23, 2010 9:53 AM EST

Feb 23, 2010 -- 8:44AM, appy20 wrote:

The monkeys are very weird beasts.  Scout has become a serious talker.  Not a lover.  Except when I am about to leave for work or go to bed at night, he frantically begins talking to me.  I have no clue what he is trying to tell me but he is definitely doing his best to communicate. 

The rest of the time, he is just stuck up.  LOL

Sometimes we humans just don't get it, do we?

Flag appy20 February 23, 2010 12:16 PM EST

While it is still too early to really say, I do think the Monkeys are going to be smart little beasts.  They may all end up Magellan smart.  Magellan is still more athletic than they are (he was from the time he was 4 weeks old) and is, at the moment,  my smartest cat.  However, they navigate their world with above average savvy.

Flag Agnosticspirit February 24, 2010 1:51 PM EST

Cute thread.... I have a male cat... a rather large male cat I inherited from my former roommate. She thought he was autistic, but I've since diagnosed him as either shy or possibly a little slow. He's a cool cat who's obsessed with doors, although he hasn't managed to figure out how to open a closed door as your have.. That doesn't stop him from trying, however.

He just doesn't like closed doors -- wants them to be slightly open so he can satisfy his feline curiosity.

Flag appy20 February 24, 2010 2:08 PM EST

Check out our Memoes thread. 

Flag appy20 March 5, 2010 4:02 PM EST

Cheetah seems to be calming down.  She often sits in my lap now.  I start concentrating on something else and will look down and there she will be. I don't ever see her getting into the lap. 

Scout is still a mischievous soul.  He woud rather create trouble than eat.  His charm is also developing.  He still talks to me as I am about to leave for work.  I think he may actually be telling me to stay home.  LOL  He does get frantic when I begin to get ready to leave.

Harper Lee and D'Artagnan are weekend cats.  I have to be home a while before they will change their intinerary to have anything to do with me.  They tend to be busy.  They remind me of Yoda Boy as a kitten. I used to always say I had to make an appointment to interact with Yoda Boy.  Yoda Boy hangs with me more now than he used to.  I may actually get a picture of him one day because he tends to be still now. 

They are all looking good, growing like weeds and have excellent coats.  No one seems stressed other than Daphne, the brain-damaged one.  But she was always stressed. 

Flag appy20 March 8, 2010 8:44 AM EST

I am full of pride this morning.  As I was carrying a load of clothes out to my truck this morning, the four monkeys were blocking my path and doorway as I was about to exit.  I said excuse me, will you guys please move?  They parted like the Red Sea.  I was stunned.  All four of them.  It was military precision. 

Maybe I won't kill them afterall.

Flag Christianlib March 8, 2010 9:20 AM EST

When totally frustrated by one of our felines, I have been known to smile at them and say, "Stradivarius."  It gets results.  They seem to know when traditional violin strings came from.Cool

Flag appy20 March 8, 2010 9:25 AM EST

:P

Flag Bohemiangrrl March 8, 2010 9:45 AM EST

Mar 8, 2010 -- 9:20AM, Christianlib wrote:

When totally frustrated by one of our felines, I have been known to smile at them and say, "Stradivarius."  It gets results.  They seem to know when traditional violin strings came from.Cool

LMAO!!!!

Flag appy20 March 19, 2010 8:54 AM EDT

This morning, when I opened the China cabinet, in a blink of an eye, two monkeys leaped inside of it.  I barely saved what little china I have.  Later, I walked into the room and three monkeys were on top of the cabinet playing with a string.  I am pretty sure that string was not on top of the cabinet before. I suspect a monkey took it up there.  Here are pictures from this morning.  Jasper cannot jump that high nor land his large body in the narrow opening between cabinet and ceiling so here he is looking up longingly wishing to be part of the fun.

Flag appy20 March 19, 2010 8:56 AM EDT

All three monkeys.  It was Scout, Harper Lee and Cheetah

Flag appy20 March 19, 2010 8:57 AM EDT

Poor Jasper, left out.

Flag appy20 March 19, 2010 9:41 AM EDT

Here is Harper Lee with Scout

Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement