Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
4 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2010 - 9:10AM #1
appy20

I swear that I am not as irresponsible as this sounds.   This is awful.  Three weeks ago, i called my vet to make an appointment to get Scout neutered.  My vet won't neuter before 6 months.  Scout was 5.75 months old when I made the appointment.   Scout is the only boy of the monkeys.  The only unneutered male period.  I figured, I could get him neutered and then could get the girls spayed paycheck to paycheck.  They could not squeeze him in for 3 weeks. I begged for any opening before then.  He is scheduled for Wednesday. 

I almost made it.  He mated with Molly early Saturday morning.  No signs before then.  NOt a dang thing.  I have separated them.  No sign he mated with his sister. Three lousy days. 

I had two appointments to get Molly spayed but the first, she was already pregnant from  before I got her.  All of my cats then were spayed and neutered.  She was the only one not.  Now, Jasper has been neutered and Winnie has been spayed.   The second time Molly was scheduled for an appointment, she began nursing the monkeys after adopting them.  Now, I was just waiting to get them all in which has been unusually difficult. 

The good thing is that Molly  has small litters.  I will probably keep two and find homes for any others.   She also has unusually great cats.  It is my fault for not keeping them separate so I will accept full responsibility.  I just thought that Scout was still too young.

Right now it is miserable.  Molly and Scout howling all night through closed doors.  Both doors are being damaged.

The remaining monkeys will be spayed as soon as the vet can get them in.  I will bite the bullet and go ahead and get all at once. Even after being neutered, Scout will be fertile for another 3-4 weeks.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2010 - 11:07AM #2
Bohemiangrrl

Aw jeez!!  I'm sorry yo have to go through all that!!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2010 - 12:40PM #3
lil_lamb

oh appy! lol. ok, i'm sorry for laughing. but it's a wee bit funny. but maybe you have to be catholic.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2010 - 4:03PM #4
rasphila

You're not irresponsible, so please don't beat yourself up. Cats will be cats, and things like this happen. I hope everybody comes through it in good health and that you get all the necessary neutering sorted out without further trouble.

"Prediction is very hard, especially when it's about the future."—Yogi Berra
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2010 - 5:38PM #5
appy20

I am pretty sure he didn't get to his sisters.  None of them have shown signs of being in heat.  It might not take with Molly. 

If I HAVE to have a pregnancy, Molly does produce the best cats.  M & M at the library is hers.  Jasper and Winnie is also hers from another litter (all before me).

Scout is the sweetest and most affectionate monkey. He is also very pretty. 

Molly loves being a mother.  The other day, she groomed Jasper against his will. It was hilarious.  He is HUGE.  So much bigger than she is.  LOL.  That didn't stop her much to his consternation.

Only time will tell.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2010 - 8:14PM #6
ManzanitaBear

Maybe Molly was put on this earth to be a mama cat.

A friend of mine had a cat who committed suicide (seriously!) after being fixed at a late age. Hers was male, but... what happens to a cat with that big a change? If they're fixed too young to know the difference, it's different.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2010 - 8:31AM #7
appy20

She is an exceptional mama cat.  This morning she was grooming Winnie Pooh Bear, her daughter.  Winnie is ten months old.    Molly loves her babies. 

The interesting thing is that when Molly was a stray and she had her first litter of kittens, they stayed with her after they were adults.  They were a clowder. 

No baby of hers can ever be classified as a mistake.  She just has the best babies.  I don't think the finest cattery in the world could produce a better pet than she does.

She and her kittens are so cool.  They "pet" me just like I pet them.  Molly "combs" my hair.  They all cup my chin with soft paws.  Winnie pats me gently on the nose with a soft paw.  Molly and Jasper pat my cheeks all of the time.  Jasper and Winnie know exactly how to curl up into my arms and mold my arms to their bodies.   They are so smart.  They know a lot of words.  If I say I am going to feed the horse, they rush to their perch on the side window where they can watch me feed Rebel. 

Jasper is always hanging on to something by a thread and sticking his face through the front door blinds watching for me to come home every day.  He doesn't have a good perch so sometimes he really has to improvise.  He knows my schedule.  He never does that when I am home.  On Tuesdays, I get off late from work.  He is there. On Wednesdays and Fridays I am early.  He is there.  He has my schedule down pat.  He never does that when I am home.

Then Winnie talks.  She can say no.  Her sister that I gave away can say "mine."   Her owner always tells me what a character Cami is. 

They are the coolest cats. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2010 - 8:40AM #8
appy20

Scout is finally at the vet's office for neutering.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2010 - 8:42AM #9
Bohemiangrrl

WHEW!!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2010 - 9:14AM #10
appy20

Jan 11, 2010 -- 8:14PM, ManzanitaBear wrote:

Maybe Molly was put on this earth to be a mama cat.

A friend of mine had a cat who committed suicide (seriously!) after being fixed at a late age. Hers was male, but... what happens to a cat with that big a change? If they're fixed too young to know the difference, it's different.

I do think being a mama kitty is Molly's calling.  She has exceptional genes and awesome parenting skills. Her kittens are smart, good tempered and unusually pretty.   They are unusually personable.  That was brought home to me again this morning as I woke up to affection from Winnie and Jasper, two of the most precious cats I have ever known. Those two are so people like it is almost eerie.

However, I thinkMollywill be fine when she is spayed.  Afterall, spaying will protect her from various cancers.  Also, if she is as old as my vet thinks she is, pregnancy will get harder for her.  She has done her part in the world.  Whether it was appreciated at all by the world at large, she did give the world some very great cats.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook