Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Your name is not welcome here, Juan --- er, John
8 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2009 - 1:30PM #1
Agnosticspirit

Unbelievable....a hotel owner takes it upon himself to tell Hispanic employees to change their names.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_trouble_in_taos

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2009 - 2:06PM #2
Erey

I think everyone knows how to pronounce Juan and joachim.  But I do see alot of this with Asians.  They take on an anglo name all the time for professional reasons.  They just don't want thier difficult (for mainstream americans) names getting in the way of their career. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2009 - 3:02PM #3
Roodog

Oct 26, 2009 -- 1:30PM, Agnosticspirit wrote:

Unbelievable....a hotel owner takes it upon himself to tell Hispanic employees to change their names.

Not Good.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2009 - 3:24PM #4
Agnosticspirit

Oct 26, 2009 -- 2:06PM, Erey wrote:

I think everyone knows how to pronounce Juan and joachim.  But I do see alot of this with Asians.  They take on an anglo name all the time for professional reasons.  They just don't want thier difficult (for mainstream americans) names getting in the way of their career. 

Some immigrants voluntarily anglicize their names... I have no problem with that... but for an employer to INSIST that his employees change their names? So Not OK with that

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2009 - 3:39PM #5
TemplarS

Oct 26, 2009 -- 2:06PM, Erey wrote:

Yes, I have seen this.  But it is voluntary, not because their employer is making them do it.  There's something just not right about that.

It's a futile exercise anyway; I would not be surprised if, within a few years, many Hispanic names end up in the mainstream anyway.  You will have kids named Juan Smith.

What does seem strange to me, however, is that at the same time we have Chinese-Americans naming their kids David, we have African-Americans naming their kids JaMarcus.  Go figure.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2009 - 3:47PM #6
Tmarie64

It's not Hispanic names that are tough to say, figure out.... It's the "new age" names...  My sister in law's daughter named her daughter... Shkyla....  YOU figure it out.  I finally had to call her and ask her how the hell to pronounce it.

My other sister in law named her baby... Jaccyn...  Again, YOU figure it out.

Too many Americans are giving their kids names with f***ed up spellings or simply unrecognizable when seen in print. This employer needs to worry about how Americans are saddling their kids with impossible names instead of whether a guy spells his name "Juan" or "John".

If you want your kid called "Shukyla" then spell it "SHAKYLA".

If you want your kid called "Jackson" then spell it right, dammit!

James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2009 - 3:52PM #7
Agnosticspirit

Oct 26, 2009 -- 3:47PM, Tmarie64 wrote:

.... This employer needs to worry about how Americans are saddling their kids with impossible names instead of whether a guy spells his name "Juan" or "John".

I concur the new age names are difficult to  pronounce.... but so are Russian names, Swedish names, Norweigen names.... etc. etc... But I dn't agree that the EMPLOYER needs to worry about how other people are saddling their kids with names difficult to pronounce. Sure, he can have an opinion about it but his concern should end there.

There's a limit to what employers can impose upon employees. Thankfully so....

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2009 - 3:56PM #8
mecdukebec

Oct 26, 2009 -- 1:30PM, Agnosticspirit wrote:

Like myself, when you have a French name, one is asked continually why I have a 'girl's name.'

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2009 - 4:02PM #9
Agnosticspirit

LOL, I was googling to see if Europeans have similar gripes about names that are difficult to pronounce... or spell.... or remember and ran across this....

Not sure how scientific it is, but I thought it was kind of fun. If it's difficult to pronounce it must be risky... LOL! CLICK HERE.

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2009 - 4:11PM #10
mecdukebec

Oct 26, 2009 -- 4:02PM, Agnosticspirit wrote:

LOL, I was googling to see if Europeans have similar gripes about names that are difficult to pronounce... or spell.... or remember and ran across this....

Not sure how scientific it is, but I thought it was kind of fun. If it's difficult to pronounce it must be risky... LOL! CLICK HERE.

You know, I did not learn English until age 8, but I speak it more good, less worst, and really purdier, than most of those in the Colonies.

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook