Page 7 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Switch to Forum Live View Your name is not welcome here, Juan --- er, John
5 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2009 - 8:07PM #61
Agnosticspirit

Nov 1, 2009 -- 7:13PM, TemplarS wrote:

Well, coincidentally, this is true story which happened to me this weekend.

I was at a department store, and at the checkout was a woman (not sure about her ethnicity, possibly Indian).  She spoke English just fine- but her name tag said "Anal".

Now, that's a name I might change on my own...

LOL! I tried babylon.com to see if it can translate this name from Hindi to English and came up with zilch... Yep, I'd change that name too.... but I think we've achieved something very rare and therefore very precious in this thread... CONSENSUS that an employer shouldn't be permitted to force his employees to change their name. Smile

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2009 - 8:41PM #62
MilesB

Nov 1, 2009 -- 1:10PM, Stardove wrote:

Nov 1, 2009 -- 8:16AM, MilesB wrote:

The US has no official language.

Therefore, can not require it of new citizens.

It's ridiculous to believe in Free Speech and require one to speak in a certain language anyway. A few states still conduct official events/administratively multi lingually.

I am all for becoming a multi lingual society. If my country put to vote for it, I'd vote FOR it. It should be up to the community and state if they wish to practice like that.

This hum-drum about English only baffles me. I didn't see the ones who came on the boats the first time forcing everyone to learn the native language :P.

What comes around, goes around.

True the USA has no official language, but it order to become a citizen English is a must in most cases.

Do I need to be able to speak English to become a U.S. citizen?

Yes, you must be able to read, write, and speak simple English. There are some exceptions for some older and long-time residents, and for some disabled permanent residents.

AndYou must be able to read, write and speak English. This is straight forward and there is no room for compromise here. If you can’t read, write and speak English, you have to learn.

What do you think Simple English is?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2009 - 9:35PM #63
jane2

Nov 1, 2009 -- 8:41PM, MilesB wrote:

It's ridiculous to believe in Free Speech and require one to speak in a certain language anyway. A few states still conduct official events/administratively multi lingually.

I am all for becoming a multi lingual society. If my country put to vote for it, I'd vote FOR it. It should be up to the community and state if they wish to practice like that.

This hum-drum about English only baffles me. I didn't see the ones who came on the boats the first time forcing everyone to learn the native language :P.

True the USA has no official language, but it order to become a citizen English is a must in most cases.

Yes, you must be able to read, write, and speak simple English. There are some exceptions for some older and long-time residents, and for some disabled permanent residents.

AndYou must be able to read, write and speak English. This is straight forward and there is no room for compromise here. If you can’t read, write and speak English, you have to learn.

I agree with Stardove. The language of this country is English. Generations who have come here before have learned it.

Exactly who is fighting that or is it a strawman? Are we encountering illiterate immigrants?

Twenty years ago I told my husband I would love to work in a program to teach standard American English to pre-schoolers who needed that help. I'm an English linguist. There was no such program.

Children who cannot speak, read and write standard American English tend to do poorly in school. Their parents have more trouble also. One group stands out--Asian Americans learn English and their children do more than well. We have a large Korean-American community in my county and their children are getting top honors in our school system.

I admire the French-speakers in Quebec Providence, but they were French-speaking from the beginning.

English has replaced French as the diplomatic language. All sorts of diversity is fine with me, but English is our national language and has always been.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2009 - 9:56PM #64
Stardove

Nov 1, 2009 -- 8:41PM, MilesB wrote:

What is the Simple English Wikipedia?

h**p://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_English#Simple_English

Cutting to the chase:  Simple English is similar to English, but it only uses basic words.

Articles in the Simple English Wikipedia use fewer words and easier grammar than the Ordinary English Wikipedia. The Simple English Wikipedia is also for people with different needs, such as students, children, adults with learning difficulties and people who are trying to learn English. Other people use the Simple English Wikipedia because simple language helps them to understand unfamiliar topics or complex ideas.

When the Simple English Wikipedia began, the Ordinary English Wikipedia already had 150,000 articles, and seven other Wikipedias in other languages had over 15,000 articles. Since the other Wikipedias already have so many articles, most Simple English articles take articles from other Wikipedias and make them simple; they are usually not new articles.

This makes Simple English articles a good way to understand difficult articles from the ordinary English Wikipedia. If someone cannot understand an idea in complex English, they can read the Simple English article. For this reason, people writing Simple English articles should put in "interwiki links" to and from the other Wikipedias. Also, it is good to always look at all versions in all languages, to get new ideas.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Simple English is similar to English, but it only uses basic words.

More at link.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2009 - 11:50PM #65
Wmdkitty

@stardove -- doesn't get much more simple than that, eh? Tongue out

"The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments in a courthouse: You cannot post "Thou shalt not steal", Thou shalt not commit adultery" and "Thou shalt not lie" in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians. It creates a hostile work environment." -- George Carlin
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2009 - 11:08AM #66
Stardove

Nov 1, 2009 -- 11:50PM, Wmdkitty wrote:

@stardove -- doesn't get much more simple than that, eh?

Nope!

*note the simple reply.  Wink

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2009 - 12:40PM #67
appy20

Our courts are run and recorded in English

Our bills and laws are debated, voted on and recorded in English.

Presidential documents are in English

30 of our 50 states have English as an official language.

The second most common language in the US, Spanish is only spoken by 12% of the population.

91.4% of our population speaks English.

You must speak English to pass citizenship test.

If all of that does not make us, at least de facto,  officially English, I don't know what does.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 27, 2011 - 3:22PM #68
maddiesfriend

Oct 26, 2009 -- 2:06PM, Erey wrote:

I think everyone knows how to pronounce Juan and joachim.  But I do see alot of this with Asians.  They take on an anglo name all the time for professional reasons.  They just don't want thier difficult (for mainstream americans) names getting in the way of their career. 

Which is amazing!  You would never find an american culture that would do that!  We tend to think of ourselves as the center of the universe.   sad.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 7 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook