Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View NEW ZEALAND'S CAPITAL OFFENSE ?????!!!!!!!??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????
5 years ago  ::  Sep 02, 2009 - 12:34PM #1
Agnosticspirit

This just in.... A woman in New Zealand was fired because she has an obnoxious habit many of us on internet forums complain about.

SHE TYPES HER EMAILS IN ALL CAPS -- AND BOLD, RED FONTS!!!!!!!!!!!!! WITH WAY TOO MANY EXPLANATION POINTS oh MY!!!!!!!! Which gives the impression that she's too emo... too angry... and very INCONSIDERATE or IGNORANT of the finer points of email etiquette...

If Emily Post or Miss Manners were to comment on email and internet courtesy, I think they'd agree that writing in ALL caps too much bold too many colored fonts and overused punctuation marks is rude and lacking in manners.

But does she deserve to be fired for this? CLICK HERE...

She took it up with the courts, who agreed that she had been wrongfully dismissed. She was awarded a relatively small amount of $$ for being discharged and plans to continue with her appeals. Will Vicki Walker become the NZ version of Erin Brockovich in her new crusade to protect the welfare of white collar workers?

CLICK HERE

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 02, 2009 - 12:57PM #2
Agnosticspirit

After posting this, I was prompted to review my company policy regarding email communications.  No prohibition against using ALL CAPS, bold fonts or too many explanation points...

I exchange many emails with our clients... as a representative of the company that employs me, presenting a professional image is important to build relationships and confidence. I'm pretty sure that if my emails were punctuated by ALL CAPS, bold fonts and exclamation marks, my company wouldn't be too pleased either. It's a tacit understanding that shouldn't need to be spelled out. 

I wonder how many companies in New Zealand are pondering the necessity of re-writing their company policies in the aftermath of Procare Health vs. Vicki Walker?

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 02, 2009 - 1:03PM #3
Tmarie64

Any professional should write an email the same way they would write a letter.

If she can't write professionally, then they should be able to fire her.

James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 02, 2009 - 1:40PM #4
Nepenthe

Sep 2, 2009 -- 1:03PM, Tmarie64 wrote:

Regardless of professionalism, if she failed to follow company policy in regards to her communications, they should be able to fire her. 

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 02, 2009 - 1:43PM #5
Svetlana

I've read the article, and I certainly agree that such a habit is inexcusably annoying.  She, however, seems too stupid to get this.  While such cummunication should not be tolerated, I think she should have been warned before being fired, and may have won the case on that basis alone (being fired without any previous warning).  It is understood in email or online "culture" that to use all caps is to shout, and shouting at someone else should never be tolerated, least of all in a professional setting.  She should be severly reprimanded, should have her emails reviewed by someone with a clue before allowing them to be sent, and face further punishment if she still refuses to get it.

There was a time when it was considered extremely embarrassing to be caught in even unintentional rudeness.  Now, however, people seem to pride themselves on being rude and seeming to get away with it.  These people do not, however, tolerate rudeness to themselves, of course.  What a world we live in!

"No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it."  ~ (common sense)

"Never place a period where God has placed a comma."  ~ Gracie Allen

"I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"I wonder sometimes if we ever give God a headache." ~ Dontay Hall, age 8
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 02, 2009 - 1:45PM #6
Nepenthe

Not too get too far off-topic, but this is yet another in a long string of idiotic examples of a court room believing it can better run a private business than the people running it. 

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 02, 2009 - 1:50PM #7
Christianlib

Sep 2, 2009 -- 1:45PM, Nepenthe wrote:

Not too get too far off-topic, but this is yet another in a long string of idiotic examples of a court room believing it can better run a private business than the people running it. 

One MIGHT say, it depends on what a society finds more important; corporations or people.Cool

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 02, 2009 - 2:26PM #8
Agnosticspirit

Sep 2, 2009 -- 1:40PM, Nepenthe wrote:

Regardless of professionalism, if she failed to follow company policy in regards to her communications, they should be able to fire her.

Hi Nepenthe, pasting a portion of one of the links at the bottom .. A couple of the reasons cited by Employment Relations Authority for wrongful dismissal are explained below....

Apparently she hadn't received adequate warning, the didn't think the problem was severe enough to warrant dismissal, nor was there anything in the company policy regarding email etiquette. I'm curious how many companies will update their employee handbooks as a result?

I would also think the intended audience should be taken into consideration... Internal communications can be less formal, depending upon who the recipient is. External communications by necessity needs to be of higher caliber. Emails are considered LEGAL documents in the US, not so sure whether this is the case in NZ.

Regardless of the legal issues, I think they were right to dismiss her. Email is such an integral part of our communications, lack of legibility can certainly lead to incorrect conclusions and missteps.

Quote from the article:

Authority member Alastair Dumbleton said Ms Walker received no warnings, and while she had contributed to disharmony in the workplace it was not to the extent that dismissal was fair or reasonable.

She had been a capable and competent employee, he said. ProCare did not have a style or etiquette guide for employees using email, so it was not clear what was regarded as unacceptable communication.

ProCare did not respond to a request for comment on the compensation ruling.

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 02, 2009 - 2:32PM #9
Tmarie64

Sep 2, 2009 -- 1:50PM, Christianlib wrote:

Sep 2, 2009 -- 1:45PM, Nepenthe wrote:

One MIGHT say, it depends on what a society finds more important; corporations or people.Cool

Society isn't paying the bills or explaining to customers why this stupid woman is screaming at them in their emails.

James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 02, 2009 - 2:46PM #10
Christianlib

Actually, Tmarie, as a lifelong marketing/communications professional, I agree with you, and, probably, ultimately, with the company.  I'd at least agree that this woman should not have public contact either in person or via electronic communication.

But, all joke aside, there are a couple of things to remember:

1) From a single news story, we certainly don't know as much about the situaiton, and haven't heard all the testimony the court heard.

2) Good Personnel and/or human relations practice, and some counseling and training of the employee, might have solved the situation w/o the draconian response.

Maybe that was tried.  Maybe not.  As I said, we don't KNOW enough.  That's one reason I joke about these GASP!!!! BE VERY ALARMED!!!! stories.  They are not INTENDED  to really inform, they are calculated to inflame.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook