Switch to Forum Live View Your Mother's Favorite Recipe
6 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2009 - 12:34PM #1
Beliefnetsabee

What is (was) your mother's favorite recipe?

I always remember that for every word typed there is a real person sitting behind the keyboard.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2009 - 2:25PM #2
darcamani

I had to laugh at this one.

My mother suffered from schizophrenia.  Cooking was not something she did well, most stuff that came out of the kitchen were completely unidentifiable.  I started cooking as soon as I was tall enough, and I am now a chef.  ((Thanks mom)).

I can offer some of the most memorable... first thing that comes to mind, was actually my dad copeing with us kids when my mom was in hospital.  Swansons' (tm). Chicken ala King.  It was the only thing he could cook at the time and must have been on sale.  We ate it for 6 weeks, on everything from bread to mashed potatoes whipped into submission the consistency of Elmers Glue. (tm.)  I know it was 6 weeks because it was an entire marking period when I was in 2nd grade.

I started cooking then!  Because I had such firm role models in the kitchen, (sarcasm), I had my own problems because I watched my mom attempt to make sence of the kitchen.  

I was 18 before I found out New England Boiled Dinner was not supposed to be gray. :) I thought salmon came in a can naturally  and liver was supposed to be orange... fudge was to be eaten with a spoon and ice cream was liquid.   I don't recall eating anything green until I left home. I was mystified!

The one thing my mom managed to cook was a basic grilled cheese sandwich, american cheese and white bread. sometimes she would put interesting things on it like mustard, ketchup, mayo or something that would make it extra crunchy, yet che grilled it perfectly everytime.  I still make those . :)

Dar

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2009 - 6:36PM #3
rasphila

My mother's favorite recipe, hands down, was pot roast, which she made superbly. Unfortunately, she never showed me how she did it, so my wife and I have spent a lot of time trying different pot roast recipes to see if we could get close to my mom's. Most of these recipes were good, many excellent. We now have my mother's dutch oven, which was one of her secrets (very good, very heavy cast aluminum pan). But we also have a vegetarian in the house, so recently we haven't been trying pot roast recipes as we once did.

"Prediction is very hard, especially when it's about the future."—Yogi Berra
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2009 - 3:03AM #4
LuvBear

My grandmother's Macaroni & Cheese. I make it today and have for my family since my daughter was very young. The secret is you don't melt the cheese into a cheese sauce, you cut the cheese into sticks; 31/2" long by 3/4" wide. This gets stuck between the macaronit all over as you layer it.  And you take French Bread and make croutons sauted in butter to put on top before you bake it in the oven. You don't use just any cheese either. Only Tillamook mild or medium cheddar will do. No other cheese will work! You haven't had a good Mac & Cheese until you have tasted my grandmother's recipe.  =]

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 26, 2009 - 6:43AM #5
Acts 28:22

I love my Mom's Chocolate Pound Cake, the recipe is below:

1/2 LB. BUTTER                                                          1/2 TSP SALT
1/2 C SHORTENING                                                      4 T COCOA
3 C SUGAR                                                                 1 C MILK
5 EGGS                                                                      1 TSP VANILLA
1/2 TSP BAKING POWDER                                               3 C FLOUR

(HAVE ALL INGREDIENTS AT ROOM TEMPERATURE)

GREASE AND FLOUR TUBE PAN. HEAT OVEN TO 325 DEGREES.
AT MED. SPEED CREAM BUTTER, SHORTENING AND SUGAR 6 - 8 MINUTES. STOP MIXER AND SCRAPE BOWL SIDES AND BEATERS. ADD EGGS, ONE AT A TIME, BEATING AFTER EACH ADDITION.
ONTO A PIECE OF WAXED PAPER SIFT FLOUR, SALT, COCOA AND BAKING POWDER.
NOW, ALTERNATELY, ADD FLOUR AND MILK, BEATING AFTER EACH ADDITION STARTING AND ENDING WITH FLOUR. ADD AND MIX IN VANILLA. SCRAPE BOWL AND BEATERS.
POUR BATTER INTO PREPARED TUBE PAN AND BAKE TIL TOOTHPICK COMES OUT CLEAN - ABOUT 80 TO 90 MINUTES.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 06, 2009 - 5:56PM #6
Urukai

Hello everyone...

The two things I remember from childhood were potato latkes which are a sort of mini fried potato pancake and something called quomki or galumki which I never knew how to pronounce correctly...galumki is cabbage rolls stuffed with hamburger, rice sometimes with mozerella and mint and cooked in water or spaghetti sauce. Now when I make it I use a combination of veggie broth and sauce...Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2010 - 1:12AM #7
Ladysilver

I love my  grandma's meatloaf it is so good.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook