Switch to Forum Live View In Anticipation of Spring
6 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2009 - 1:18PM #1
Beliefnetsabee

It might be a little early for watering but my planters were looking very dry and the temp is supposed to be in the 50's for a couple of days so I went out and watered them, just a little. I wonder if it's too early for watering? What are you doing now in anticipation of Spring?

I always remember that for every word typed there is a real person sitting behind the keyboard.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2009 - 9:54AM #2
Dah

It is suppose to snow today where I am, it's cold here, the other day it was in the 60°F. I invested in an Aerogarden, found one cheap on close out at my local grocery store. So far for me it has works surprisingly well. I have some lettuce growing in it as well as chive and mint, and I can get a salad out of it each day.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2009 - 10:22AM #3
Beliefnetsabee

That sounds interesteing. I've seen them on TV. Do you think you'll be using it longterm?

I always remember that for every word typed there is a real person sitting behind the keyboard.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 06, 2009 - 4:59PM #4
appy20

I am going to order a rose that I have wanted for the last 5 years and never could justify the expense.  Dag nab it.  I am going to DO IT.   I swear.  I am committing myself on this post. I am tired of looking at that catalog every year and fantasizing about that rose. 

I am also going to spring clean my house.  Top to bottom. 

I may plant a paw paw tree. 

My plum trees have taken off.  I have an entire orchard now and this May/June, it should be exciiting.  These are a native plum that is very sweet, no fertilizers or insecticides are required.  My dog loves them.  My new baby trees produced nice plums last year.  They should produce more this year.  My cat Magellan loves to climb the larger trees and shake the plumbs down for the dog.  The dog will be in heaven this year.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2009 - 1:44PM #5
Teknmage

I enjoy a challenge Appy20 may I ask just when, you are going to do this? Care to share the name of this rose? Or better yet a picture of it?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2009 - 2:06PM #6
Teknmage

Mar 1, 2009 -- 10:22AM, Beliefnetsabee wrote:

That sounds interesteing. I've seen them on TV. Do you think you'll be using it longterm?

I am hoping to use it long term. But I have very mixed feelings when I come to this. There is a part of me that has an issue of paying $20.00 for what amounts to seven seeds, okay so I got mine at close out, and paid half of that, I still feel as if I got rob. The flip side is I don't have a green thumb, plants die for me.

I'm about seven weeks into it now, and it is still alive! Not only is it alive but in my opinion it is thriving, and I've paid far more for seedlings that have died on me. I guess in the end it is something I need to get use to?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2009 - 9:33AM #7
appy20

That is my thing.  Spending $18 for one plant that may fail.   The rose of my dreams is a Black Magic sold by Jackson and Perkins.  Here is a link:

http://www.jacksonandperkins.com/gardening/PD/24754/

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2009 - 10:18AM #8
Teknmage

Here is appy20's link in a clickable form, >  Black Magic™: Hybrid Tea Rose < that is a very beautiful rose in my opinion.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2009 - 12:39AM #9
LuvBear

Hi! I'm going to be putting new roses in this spring. Have you ever heard of such a thing? Roses getting all thorny up and down the stem where you can't touch one bit of the stem? I went to my nursery and the guy there said my roses were reverting back to the olden days about 1,000 yrs. ago, and thats how roses use to be. I never heard of such a thing.

I ended up digging them all up. They were just too hard to handle with all of the thorns. I had them for at least 6 yrs.  I am going plant new ones and hope it doesn't happen again. I had some beautiful roses. A peace rose, Double delight, one that was a lilac color that was called some lace, a Deep dark red one, a beautiful orangy one. Sorry I have forgotten some of the names.

Last year on the late side I redid my back yard. I did a believe it or not a yellow brick road theme. I have a scarecrow, lion, dorthy, and tinman. Only the tinman is outside because we are having rainy weather. I still have to paint the brick yellow but that is all. By the time I was done with this part of the yard it was too late to plant the roses.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook