6 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2009 - 11:14PM #1
dcrockett357
After years in retail and food service and customer service and animal care I'm ready for a change.
My biggest question is what can I do with the experience I have from these fields and just an Associates degree.
My past jobs have been pretty good with the exceptions of just a couple of things.
I don't have the patients to deal with CERTAIN customers.
I also would like to get away from too much evening and weekend work.
So for anybody out there who has made the transition or knows other people who have please give me some input.
Peace
Dave
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2009 - 8:14AM #2
IreneAdler
Off the top of my head:

Purchasing.

-needs to have the people skills to deal with vendors, fellow employees. Usually not as messy as dealing with the general public. You are handing the buying tasks for fellow employees–so you are the good guy. And you negotiate with vendors, who want to be on your good side to procure future business
    -needs some understanding of finances
    -needs to be avail during the 8-5 work day to interface with vendors/employees

Administrative assistance jobs/personal assistant
(incl. Human Resources, QA department)
    -front office work – people skills come in very handy when dealing with folks in the office environment.
-need a working knowledge of business computer software
-organizational skills/multitasking abilities
    -personal assistant may not be 8-5 work (depends upon the situation)

(you didn’t say what your Associate’s degree was in)

Irene.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2009 - 12:56PM #3
dcrockett357
Thanks for the suggestions Irene.
The degree is Philosophy.
Peace
Dave
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2009 - 8:57PM #4
Anesis
First, what are your hobbies? Passions? Personality? What is your dream job...a job that would feel more like play.....

The associate degree in philosophy should have provided you with skills in argumentation, critical thinking, communication, information management, planning, administration and some research skills.

All these skills are transferable. You can take them from where you've been into pretty much anywhere you are going, including your dream job...you know, the one you created from your hobbies and passions....

Now, make a list of all the places in your area that have those particular jobs. Create a skill-based resume and tailor a cover letter for each of the places on your list, and have at it.

Here are some options that would be good with those particular skills your associate degree offers...

administration - personnel, financial aid, PR in places like government, prisons, hospitals

business - sales, fundraising, advertising, banking

insurance - agent, broker, underwriter

If you want to go back to school for a couple of years, your associate degree in philosophy is also good preparation for law or MBA undergrad programs.

I am in the middle of a career change in mid-life, and would very much recommend that you spend another two years in college and get an undergrad degree. Two or three years is not a long time, and it would more than double your opportunities.

If you want something completely different, you might think about taking a couple of different online career aptitude tests. They normally provide you with numerous recommendations for possible career paths suitable for your aptitude.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2009 - 12:59PM #5
tattwo

Feb 19, 2009 -- 11:14PM, dcrockett357 wrote:

After years in retail and food service and customer service and animal care I'm ready for a change. My biggest question is what can I do with the experience I have from these fields and just an Associates degree. My past jobs have been pretty good with the exceptions of just a couple of things. I don't have the patients to deal with CERTAIN customers. I also would like to get away from too much evening and weekend work. So for anybody out there who has made the transition or knows other people who have please give me some input. Peace Dave

I can totally relate to you. I'm in the customer service/call center industry too. Right now I'm doing tech support. I also have an associates degree and will be getting my BS in Business Administration in 8/09. Yet, I'm not sure in what direction I want to take with my career. I dont mind customer service because I enjoy working with people. BUT I dont like working/helping customer who thinks they are entitled to everything, has bad attitudes, and just flat out ungrateful for your help. There nothing you can do to satisfy them. Pretty much I want to get out of the call center enviroment.

I've been doing a lot of soul searching lately. I know that I really want to travel a lot. So I dont know...lol!!!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2009 - 11:33AM #6
Karma_yeshe_dorje
dcrockett357:

"retail and food service and customer service and animal care I'm ready for a change"
Eradicate pests.

"just an Associates degree"
Retrain.

"get away from too much evening and weekend work"
Try unemployment.

"Philosophy"
Try something useful like waste management.

tattwo:

"I really want to travel a lot."
The military can fix that problem.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook