Page 6 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Cat vomiting and diarrhea--worried
6 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2009 - 7:08PM #51
appy20
There are more and more good foods out there for pets and many are just fine.  There is one other thing I do want to mention.  When pet food companies list their ingredients, they are required by law to list from highest content to lowest.  If meat is the first ingredient, that means the food has more meat than anything else.  BUT.  Here's the catch.  It is not required to list percentages of each ingredient.  You can have two pet food brands with, let's say, these ingredients:

chicken, duck, rice, sweet potato, egg,

One food could have  26% chicken, 25% duck, 24% rice  23% sweet potato. 2% egg

The other could have 50% chicken, 25% duck, 15% rice, 9% sweet potato, 1% egg.

Eagle pack canned food has 75% meat plus fiber.  Great supplement package. 

The last time I checked (they may have reformulated since then), Felidae was only 51% meat.  This is just one example. At that time, EP had 75%.

Some premium brands are as low as 25% meat.   

Yet, they all may have the same first ingredients but still be very, very different.

Eagle Pack does a lot testing with a core group of breeders including cat breeders with cats prone to vomiting issues.  Eagle Pack tried a 100% meat product and they got complaints from some of the test breeders who had cats prone to hairball issues.  So, they cut the meat and increased the fiber.  They also found that some fiber works better than others.  So, they reformulated until the problem cats could eat it. 

Now, there is a possibility that your cat has something else wrong.  it might not hurt to test liver function and kidney. 

Half of my cats that all came from the same litter tend to have stomach problems (diarrhea). Now, Magellan didn't come from that litter and doesn't have the diarrhea. He does have the hairball vomiting.  Eagle Pack works for all of my cats.  I don't have any issues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2009 - 9:17PM #52
ManzanitaBear
Thanks for the info, appy. You've been very, very helpful in all this.

Interestingly, this cat, who has never been a fussy eater, is mostly rejecting the Evo.  When I feed her, she'll take a few bites and then meow at me as if I hadn't fed her.

I went to Eagle Pack's website and searched for retailers, and there are some within accessible distance... including a store I've already been shopping at about once a month, just not for cat food.  Wouldn't hurt to get her a little and try it out.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2009 - 6:05PM #53
ManzanitaBear
Well, back to the drawing board:  kitty won't eat Eagle Pack.  She won't eat Evo canned.  She will eat Evo kibble, especially if it's in the bowl with canned Hill's z/d, which she likes.

I tried mixing the canned z/d with pumpkin, and she rejected it completely.  It can't help her if she won't eat it, so that's a wash.

For now, I have her back on Hill's z/d canned food, along with Evo kibble.  And doing about the same as before:  not so sick, but plenty of hairball type puking.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2009 - 2:32PM #54
appy20
Another thing that might help or at least it helps Magellan is continuous feed.  Now, I can do that with Magellan because he isn't prone to gaining weight.  (All that bouncing off the walls has phsycial benefit ;D ).  The other day Magellan slipped out the door and was out for hours.  When he came in, he was starved and gobbled his food too fast.  Puked all over the place.  Recovered quickly and ate an hour later at a slower pace and kept things down.  He has to eat all day long.  I can't do two meals a day with him or he would really be puking all the time.

I don't know if that helps.  Another thing is if your cat eats with another cat, feeding her alone might slow her down some.  Sometimes pressure from other cats will make a cat eat fast.  Magellan eats slower alone or when eating with less dominant cats.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2009 - 3:20PM #55
ManzanitaBear
No other cats in the house at present, so kitty does eat alone.  And while I feed her twice a day, she tends to pace herself so that there's some food in her dish almost all the time.  When she first came to me, she would wolf it down and puke--but she's gotten more sensible about that.

I really think her problem now may be a state of being a hairball puker.  Hard to do anything about it when she rejects the obvious feeding options.  I wonder if I can grandfather in other food by mixing a little with the z/d--that seems to be my only option besides just plain keeping her on z/d.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2009 - 5:21PM #56
appy20
This does not work for Magellan because I can't get him to eat it.  See, if you can get your cat to lick canola oil.  I would leave a jar lid of the stuff out for a few days and see if the baby can acquire a taste for it. Simba had massive hairballs but was not a vomiter.  I noticed that during the winter time, his balls stopped. In the winter, I feed canola oil to the horse.  Simba was licking the bucket.  So, I gave him a jar lid of it to lick to his pleasure.  It got rid of his hairballs forever and there was no diarrhea with it. 

Now, Magellan won't touch canola oil unless it is on the horse bucket.  I think that is just because it irritates the horse :D  Magellan is that kind of guy.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2009 - 1:43AM #57
ManzanitaBear

Update: I did offer her canola oil, and she'd lick it up at first, then ignored it every time I've offered it to her since.

For the last month or two, she was doing better--still lots of hairball puking, but no diarrhea.  Occasionally slightly runny stools, but not as smelly.  In the last week or so, it's started again: more frequent and heavier vomiting, runny stool, and passing gas.  I've kept her on the same diet the whole time, canned z/d and Evo kibble (she won't eat Eagle Pack, or I'd try switching her to that).

Very frustrating.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2009 - 12:04PM #58
appy20

I feel for you.  I had a friend go through this.  The only thing I can think of, and bear in mind, I really don't know is that there is a very stubborn parasite involved.  One that just won't die.  If not that, something with the liver or kidneys.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2009 - 8:24PM #59
lil_lamb

a thought - have you tried califonia natural food?

my new dog has these bouts of stomach upset that have been coming going.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2009 - 11:26AM #60
rasphila

Orestes, who has thicker fur than you can see in a photograph, suffers from hairballs. My daughter gives him olive oil, which he loves. He even knows the phrase "olive oil" and comes running for it. We use a lot of olive oil in cooking, so we always have it around the house, but if you don't, don't worry. A small bottle of ordinary olive oil (not extra-virgin) lasts a long time for Orestes, who gets about 2 tablespoons a week. He has his own supply. Your cat may like olive oil better than canola oil. It's worth a try, and if she doesn't like it, you can always use it in cooking.

Sam, by the way, is one of those fortunate cats who rarely gets hairballs, so he doesn't need oil. So we don't know if olive oil would appeal to him. Bud, who is no longer with us but had luxuriant fur, got olive oil regularly and lapped it right up. On the other hand, he ate anything that was going until very near the time of his death. He was a retired alley cat whose motto was "Eat!"

"Prediction is very hard, especially when it's about the future."—Yogi Berra
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook