Page 5 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Cat vomiting and diarrhea--worried
6 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2009 - 10:34PM #41
ManzanitaBear
[QUOTE=PaulaEdwina;1012885]INow it's time to figure out what she can eat. The tedious way is to start with air (like ZD or HA) and try more complex things (something plus chicken, for example).

Paula[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I'm doing.  I feel like I'm having to go back to the beginning and explain everything all over with this post.

She is on ZD.  She was doing better at first, not throwing up as often and recovering faster when she did.  Now it's starting to go back the other way.  Which makes me wonder if it is an intolerance, or worms, or perhaps intolerance to something that's also in the ZD?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2009 - 12:28PM #42
PaulaEdwina
Is it ZD canned? Then add some canned pumpkin to it (about 1/1) and see if it firms up the poops.

Paula
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2009 - 3:03PM #43
ManzanitaBear
[QUOTE=PaulaEdwina;1013920]Is it ZD canned? Then add some canned pumpkin to it (about 1/1) and see if it firms up the poops.

Paula[/QUOTE]

Again, I'm having to repeat myself.  I wish people would read what I've already written before offering advice.  I thought I made it perfectly clear that it's the vomiting I'm really concerned about.  The vet's instructions have been ZD only, absolutely no exceptions.  I'm trying to figure out if I should go another way, and if so, how.

If I had some indication that pumpkin and/or a different food would help with vomiting, I'd try it.  I'm not seeing clear answers on that, at least not here.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2009 - 3:18PM #44
PaulaEdwina
Manzanitabear, you are confusing me. You say in one sentence that the vet said ZD and no exceptions, but you say in the next sentence you would try something else if it would help with the vomiting.

I don't know which way to jump. If you mean the first sentence, then sorry, I can't help you.  If you mean the second sentence, then try mixing in the pumpkin.

I don't know what else to say.
Paula
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2009 - 3:26PM #45
ManzanitaBear
[QUOTE=PaulaEdwina;1014376]Manzanitabear, you are confusing me. You say in one sentence that the vet said ZD and no exceptions, but you say in the next sentence you would try something else if it would help with the vomiting.[/QUOTE]

The vet did say ZD and no exceptions.  I would try something else if it would help the vomiting regardless of what the vet said, because I get the sense that I'm not getting good help there.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2009 - 5:24PM #46
bluehorserunning
Sorry for jumping in part way through - has the vet tried a steroid shot?

An ex-housemate of mine has a cat with extreme food allergies; the poor thing would only eat when she was absolutely starving, and then have to run to the litter box immediately for liquid stools (sometimes not even making it the dozen feet and leaving a naaasty mess on the floor). She didn't vomit much, but it was clear that eating *anything* made her miserable.  Steroids were the only thing that helped her, but it's not good long-term.

If it's a food allergy, what you need to do is some serious label-reading.  Look at the protein sources (chicken, salmon, beef, whatever) on any food that she has reacted to, and then try to find a food without any of those sources.  You may have to go to raw- or home-prepared to do this.  It's very difficult, but not impossible, to find dry food without chicken; canned seems to have a little more variety, if your cat likes it.  Switch your off of the old food and get the steroid shot to stop the reaction cycle, and then start on the new food.  Try, if possible, to use single-source proteins so that you can switch from type to type more easily, if necessary.

If you read the labels, ScienceDiet isn't actually that good of a food.  If the z/d isn't working, try something else.

Caveat:
my housemate was a vet tech, but I have no veterinary credentials whatsoever and am speaking purely from anecdotal experience.

p.s. you might try looking for a vet with some 'alternative' background creds.  Sometimes 'alternative' practitioners are more skilled in managing diet as a method of treatment than conventional practitoners, for humans and animals alike.

p.s. If she's not able to go outside, does she have access to grass indoors?  The ex-housemate's cat seemed to improve slightly when she was able to eat grass.  It came out totally undigested, still green, but seemed to firm things up a bit.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2009 - 6:15PM #47
ManzanitaBear
No, she hasn't had a steroid shot.  They've never said anything about that being an option--just that putting her on steroids was, because she might have irritable bowel syndrome, or whatever it's called in cats.  From what I know of it, though, her symptoms don't quite match.  And steroids are such harsh drugs, I wouldn't give them to her unless I knew beyond a doubt that it was necessary.

I agree that Science Diet probably isn't the best.  And I tried her on several different cat foods before, so if she's allergic to something, it's probably in all of those.  I have no idea how to find something that wouldn't have it.  I've even looked up the Eagle Pack cat food appy mentioned, and it seems to have similar ingredients. 

As far as finding an alternative vet goes, the clinic I took her to claims to be holistic friendly--but nothing I've experienced there really seems to be.  I don't have enough money to pay off what I already owe there, let alone take her to a new vet.  I applied for Care Credit and was told I don't qualify, so that's out of the question.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2009 - 7:13PM #48
northsky22
I am no expert but if the opinion is that the diet is the problem and all cat foods have many of the same ingredients, I think I would try baby food or a diet of chicken and rice with an occasional vegetable mixed up together in a food processor, if possible, and freeze this as one person recommended in ice cube trays.  You could add a vitamin to the meal and just see if this works.  You don't have much to lose at this point and if it works you will know that your cat needs to eat people food....and not cat food.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2009 - 7:13PM #49
northsky22
I am no expert but if the opinion is that the diet is the problem and all cat foods have many of the same ingredients, I think I would try baby food or a diet of chicken and rice with an occasional vegetable mixed up together in a food processor, if possible, and freeze this as one person recommended in ice cube trays.  You could add a vitamin to the meal and just see if this works.  You don't have much to lose at this point and if it works you will know that your cat needs to eat people food....and not cat food.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2009 - 12:23AM #50
ManzanitaBear
I've given her baby food before, and I've given her chicken.  She didn't much like the baby food, and on neither diet did the vomiting stop.  But, it's true that I had her on it for only a couple of weeks, before trying the z/d.

I decided to try her on a grain free diet (Evo) to see if that will work.  She had a vomiting episode the first day, but that always seems to happen when I switch her diet, so in and of itself, that tells me nothing.  She seems to not want to eat as much... perhaps it's more filling?  I started out giving her Evo kibble with the last can of z/d, and now I'm trying her on Evo canned... two days into it, it's hard to tell how she's taking it.

I may try pumpkin, because it does seem like she's a hairball puker.  The last several times she's vomited, there's been a hairball in there more often than not, or else it's been just stomach juices.  And then she'll be hungry within an hour or less--except this last time, when she didn't want to eat for several hours afterwards.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook