Page 4 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Living on the cheap
6 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2009 - 10:32AM #31
RiverMoonlady

Now that I am laid off from my job permanently, I am trying to live even MORE inexpensively.  I decided that I will not buy any more clothing except for jeans and underwear, when the items I have wear out.  Otherwise, I have enough clothes for the rest of my life - as long as nobody minds that I wear things from the '80s and '90s.  I certainly don't care - I am not a fashionista and never wear designer labels.

As for entertainment, I have had a library card since I was old enough to get one, so I go to the library once a week to use the internet and pick up a bag of books.  When my TV died, a friend gave me her old one and it has a VCR built in, so I can watch all our old tapes from back in the day before DVDs came out.   I also adopted a rescue kitten and spend time playing with her and my other cat.  Now that the weather has gotten warmer, I spend a lot of time walking, too.  And since I'm home, I do a LOT more cleaning and cooking those wonderful from-scratch meals that my family enjoys.

Honestly, I don't miss working at all.  My stress level is LOWER than it was because I don't have to deal with long hours, horrible traffic, too much driving, etc.  I plan my errands so that I can do many things on one trip, including visiting friends.  I am saving a lot of money from not driving several hundred miles a week - my oil change is due by time but NOT by mileage, so I can put that off for a month or two.

As soon as the last frost date is past, I will be planting - we don't have room for much except tomatoes and herbs, but they save a lot of money - a summer full of BLTs and tasty cooking!  Several years ago, I began planting more perennials so that I don't have to purchase annual flower plants for the yard.  They self-perpetuate, so eventually I won't need to spend any more money on plants.  Many of my friends are gardeners, so we split and trade our perennials.

Good luck to all of you in these ever-more-tough times!

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2009 - 3:59AM #32
Karma_yeshe_dorje
RiverMoonlady:

"IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT, DON'T BUY IT!"

I take it that means no home loan.

"work - it's 25 miles"

Work at home.

"bicycle to work"

Yesterday's cycle commute was a 23 km round trip.

"Walking is a perfect form of exercise"

I bushwalk a few days per week.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2009 - 8:20AM #33
Karma_yeshe_dorje
I have been reading a real estate magazine. It had tables of prices for comparison. I have to recognise that I can't afford the luxury price. {Sigh}
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 15, 2009 - 9:17PM #34
Karma_yeshe_dorje
Yesterday I got my income & expenditure calculated. I'm overspending! Ideas welcome.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2009 - 11:11PM #35
Debbiefaulkner

SmileMy husband and myself have been poor all our 30 years of marriage.  We have always struggled with money because we didn't know how to manage it.  It seemed that I was always the one in charge of paying the bills, etc. I became sick and couldn't do it anymore; therefore, my daughter-in-law who works with budgets in the county we live in volunteered to step in and help out.  For one year she managed our money for us. She paid 90% of our debt off, and we are now in good financial standings.  We do not have much money saved yet, but we do have the bills paid.  We are better off now with me drawing a disability check then when I worked and had a great check coming in.  With patience, prayer and help we are now at least on our feet.  We pray that one day we can afford to buy us a house to live in.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 20, 2009 - 2:48PM #36
Karma_yeshe_dorje
Hi Debbiefaulkner:

I like your picture.

"I was always the one in charge of paying the bills"
I have read that women tend to be more frugal than men.

"my daughter-in-law who works with budgets in the county we live in volunteered to step in and help out.  For one year she managed our money for us. She paid 90% of our debt off"
Thank her!

"We are better off now with me drawing a disability check then when I worked"
My friends say that my health improved when I retired.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 22, 2009 - 7:01PM #37
Haveittodayray@yahoo.com

For those of you that live in Las Vegas.  Here is a site for free show tickets.

www.Vegas4locals.com

Have been to over 30 shows in past 6 months, all for free, good seats, no strings attached.

Enjoy

RayLanfear

(google me)

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 23, 2009 - 3:47AM #38
Karma_yeshe_dorje
Haveittodayray@yahoo.com:

"live in Las Vegas"

Please find out about the people to whom you are writing. Then come up with more applicable solutions.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2009 - 10:27AM #39
Ellawagemakers

Quoting Elijah:

"overthrow this government to impliment a "service for Survival" government that if a person don't work they don't eat."

This way, you are being unkind and inhumane to the sick, the elderly, the very young, and the partially disabled.  During a recession, it is easy to take the road down to a dog-eat-dog world.  It's an enormous temptation, but not the way to survival.  What you are implying is that you prefer a superior nation, one where everyone has the same level of intelligence, physical strength and moral motivation.  Nowhere on earth are you going to find a nation like that,

As for the recession, simple -- throw away the credit card mentality that tells you you can get something for free.  Don't spend a cent if it isn't in yet (earned or not is not the point).  Do this at every level - the government and the banks, the merchants and traders, the working class (high, middle and low), and the unemployed.  If the whole country turns itself around, the recession will be over before you know it.  Don't observe how others do it ... DO IT YOURSELF.  As the old sayings go, ''Don't count your chickens before they're hatched.'  But, also, 'Don't put all your eggs in one basket.'

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2009 - 7:50PM #40
Karma_yeshe_dorje
Ellawagemakers:

Even the holiday of your avatar, is going to take money!
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook