Page 3 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Living on the cheap
6 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2008 - 9:49PM #21
klm
I agree with the 1st post.  If you can't afford it don;'t buy it.   
I know many people who have steady jobs with good pay not huge paychecks but good.   It's become very common for these friends of mind to complain ( sometimes with good reason)  they are over extended financially.  However they are buying 100 dollars sneakers for their toddlers,  they have 2 or 3 different winter coats, 2 new cars in the drive and eat out 2 or 3 times a week.  I don't think people realise how much money they'd  accumulate if they gave up the stuff they really don't need.    I don't blame the government for all of our problems.  We've cause a lot of it ourselves.   
Granted many of us can't walk to work and there isn't any public transportation but why do you need an suv or hummer when a little car with good gas mileage works just as well. 
A good friend of mine ( I love her dearly, but ) and her husband take a cruise every spring (charged) and have 2 huge car payments and have the nerve to complain they can't  pay their heating bills.  They want help from the government.   Something wrong here?
You take out a huge mortgage and sign paperwork that says your interest is not fixed then take out loans on it, as a result you can't pay when the interest goes up.  Is this your bad judgement or the governments fault? 
Stop spending America and wake up.  Spending time at home with your family enjoying the little things.  Your finances will improve and hopefully your family life.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2008 - 12:37PM #22
RiverMoonlady
It's amazing how little you can live on when you have to.  And the things you learn carry over into the good times, so you stay out of debt.  I will never have credit cards again, or waste food, or buy things I don't really need - and if I want something bad enough and can justify the expense, I pay cash.

I used to spend hundreds of dollars every month at the grocery store.  Now I shop at a warehouse market that sells overstocks, items that didn't sell well, things that are near their last sale date, etc.  The best deal I found lately was 2 pounds of Land'O'Lakes Swiss cheese for $4.00 - nowhere NEAR the $6.89/pound it costs at a full-price store!  I also do a lot of shopping at the various "dollar stores" - Family Dollar, Dollar Tree, The Dollar Store, etc.  I can buy shampoo and conditioner for $1 or less a bottle and cleaning supplies very cheap.

It pays to shop around and to avoid the big grocery chains.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2008 - 12:29PM #23
natureboy_the0
Moon River Lady,
It's amazing how little we really can survive without period!!!  Native Americans, prior to the European's takeover of our land, lived off of only basics and without money. 

The Unnited States can with the technology they have but it require eliminating money and incorperating the system which will eventually turn into the 666 system (Rev.13:16-17).  I have posted how on #17.
Are you questioning your beliefs, ask I AM THAT I AM to clarify them!
Elijah Alfred "NatureBoy" Alexander, Jr. presenting SEEDS OF LIFE
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2009 - 12:42PM #24
natureboy_the0

Rocko Zakharov wrote:

Sorry world citizen, but boiling your water will only kill germs, not remove minerals, unless you're referring to distillation, which is more complex. Check out http://www.allaboutwater.org/, especially the section on filtration.

NatureBoy, when you refer to eating "raw from any vegetable having a seed," it sounds like you're referring to a fruitarian diet. This of course would include all kinds of fruit, including those that we normally consider vegetables (e.g. tomato, squash), and nuts (which are actually either a type of fruit or a seed), as well as the seeds themselves. I don't know how you could eliminate food costs entirely unless you have an extensive garden, but even that would have up front costs plus maintenance. It is possible however to subsist on such a diet at very low cost, though you would probably want a vegetarian multivitamin.

Buying in bulk can often reduce food prices. I once got oats on sale at Sun Harvest for 39 cents a pound! Hot cereal is cheaper and usually healthier than cold. The glycemic index is lower, and you can control what and how much sweetener you want.

If the taste doesn't get to you, it's possible to use pure baking soda instead of toothpaste. Just pour a small amount on your toothbrush and moisten with water. I've tried this for maybe a month now and have found it more effective than the toothpaste I was using, especially for getting rid of that nasty "carpet" that grows on the tongue. It's also a natural whitener.

I could go on. It's possible to replace so many household cleaning and hygiene products with simple solutions like baking soda, vinegar, lemon juice, borax, and herbal remedies....

Rocko,
You have given to much credit to medical science who tells us things to earn our money, not to aid our health.  My findings is nature has produed all seeding plants, their seeds or fruit for our health.  It was producing them prior to man's altering them with fire and man lived long lives, once we began to alter them then spice them out livews began to becom shorter and shorter.  Medical science is not increasing our lives, as they tell us, it is actually delibertly shortining them.  We accept their stats of how short lives was prior to them so you become doctor dependent.  Wake up and smell the coffee!!!

Are you questioning your beliefs, ask I AM THAT I AM to clarify them!
Elijah Alfred "NatureBoy" Alexander, Jr. presenting SEEDS OF LIFE
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2009 - 12:47PM #25
Evillynnstar
I grew up with the same concept. Food prices are getting higher and higher unfortunately. I never buy the main products, except on rare occasions. But food prices are getting insane and I had hope to go organic this yr!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2009 - 9:25AM #26
mom-6
Something else that helps is to take some time to evaluate all the things you have and determine is this something I really need, something I enjoy, or something that is just taking up space that I could put to better use.

Anything that ends up in that category of just taking up space that could be put to better use is now (mentally) ready for putting on e-bay or in your next yard sale.  You may be amazed at how much 'good junk' you have that someone else might be delighted to get from that yard sale. Kids clothes and toys, maternity clothes, as well as gently used linens and other household items are especially good sellers.  Back in the days when I was expecting and when my kids were little I found absolutely awesome deals on maternity tops and kids clothes...you can't get anything in the store for $1 apiece or less.  Even now that sort of prices is common at yard sales.  No, you won't make big bucks from a yard sale unless you have furniture or appliances, but you will certainly provide a service to those less fortunate than yourself AND you'll get rid of all that stuff taking up space that you could use for something else...like making your own whatever it is that you want to learn how to make (or already do).
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2009 - 5:20PM #27
njfoundation
I think that people are still struggling with the basics, food, housing, transportation, especially those who are unemployed. The biggest problem I've found is the struggle in juggling inflation, items that were inflated when the gas prices soared. These costs are very stubborn and since my income hasn't increase to offset these costs they are still taking a bulk of it. Yes there needs to be more money put out there so wages can be raised but at the same time we need costs to be stablized.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 24, 2009 - 4:23AM #28
stellaf
Hi,

I am Stella and I have gone through with your discussion and I think this is the only way to share something with others. I know living on the cheap is a very critical and problematic situation.

Stella

Alcoholism Information
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 24, 2009 - 4:55AM #29
ItsAllALie
"If you can't afford it, don't buy it" is darned good advice,,,,,,,however, there's a whole bunch of people who could AFFORD it 2 years ago when they bought it,,,,,,but have lost jobs they've held for a dozen years or more, and can no longer afford it,,,,absolutely NOBODY knew this recession would hit this hard,,,

However, you are correct,,,,too many people buy on credit, paying only the minimum on the bills and never paying the principal,,,,,and then they get a new card when they're maxed out,,,,,fortunately, I never fell for that fallacy,,,I remember learning in school how much you REALLY paid for that 300.00 television if you charged it and only paid the minimum on your credit card bills,,,,,way too much,,,,,I saved the 300.00 and bought the TV instead,,,outright.

My husband used to bring home over a thousand dollars a week, counting overtime,,,,,,next week, he'll be lucky to bring home 300.00 after taxes and union dues (only 24 hours of work next week, and we're lucky to have it),,,,However, the one thing I've learned is there is no such thing as a "good week" to buy more expensive items,,,,,if he has an 800.00 paycheck in 2 weeks, it goes into the bank,,,,we might need it the following week if he makes only 300.00,,,,,and that is a pretty valuable lesson,,,

Right now, we're considering giving up cable and cell phones,,,,,or at the least keeping only 1 family cell that you can take with you if you're going out, or we can give the child who's going to a friends house so we can contact them,,,and a couple years ago, we were smart enough to switch to Metro PCS (50.00/month unlimited talk and text with no contract),,,,so all we have to do is simply not pay for next month and they'll turn us off,,,,

A year ago, I would have bought new sneakers just because they're looking a bit worn,,,,,,,but they're perfectly good,,,,,no holes,,,,,not falling apart,,,so I'm keeping them, and not buying any,,,My 17-year-old seems to think that money grows on trees,,,my fault, obviously,,,,,,,,but I'm now teaching her that it does not,,,,use it up, wear it out, or do without,,,,,

We were planning a family camping trip to WDW because it was cheaper than other vacations,,,,,,about 800.00 for the 8 of us (2 nights/3 day passes),,,,,,now I think we'll go camping,,,,,but leave out the Disney part,,,,the passes are just too expensive for the whole family,,,,,the beach is free,,,,,,and the camp ground about 24.00 a night,,,we could actually go for LONGER and pay less,,,,not a bad option,,,

I had an appointment for my dog for the vet for Feb 27 th for shots (a necessity of about 125.00),,,,,,but i'm calling around to find shot clinics,,,,,I can do it for less than half the cost,,,,,

I switched from the day shift to the night shift at work for two reasons,,,,,first of all, the night shift pays 1.50 an hour more,,,It might only be another 30.00 a week,,,,,,but that pays for the gas I use every week,,,,,nothing to sneeze at,,,,,,and secondly, we could get by with two cars for 3 working adults that way,,,,,it works for us,,,,,,I also went from part time 2 nights a week to 3 nights a week, and am looking to pick up another night, maybe 2,,,,,,,my husband makes so much more than me that it used to be senseless for me to work 5 days a week when the kids were younger, and they needed running around,,,,but the kids ar e older now,,,,,,and an extra 100.00 buys groceries,,,,

We're eating less meat,,,,,and cheaper cuts, cooked in the crock pot if necessary,,,,,,it's quick, easy, and darned tasty,,I used to buy boneless skinless chicken breast,,,now I buy regular, and de-skin it myself,,,,if we eat out, we eat off the 1.00 value menu at McDonalds, and much less than we used to,,,,,I rarely go to starbucks anymore, and I no longer buy books,,,,the public library is free, and if my library doesn't have it, they;ll order it for me on interlibrary loan,,,another free service,,,,we buy coffee at the flea market about 1/2 price,,,,or stock up on the buy one get one free deals at Publix when they have it and freeze it,,,,,,we watch movies at home alot,,,,,and pop our own pop corn,,,

What do you guys do for cheap entertainment???

Holly
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 24, 2009 - 3:48PM #30
Pam34
I read a lot. Used bookstores are great, ours takes in books for trade, 2 for 1 with a small fee per book (25cents) - even Amazon has used books for very little. I trade with people. The library is free but rarely has the newer books I want - but it's fine for general reading material. Magazines are at the coffee shop free for the reading. Also at the library - lots of different ones.

Otherwise, I'm here online for entertainment, I guess! We pay for phone service plus DSL internet - moderately pricey but overall, a good deal and indispensable. I have an extensive email correspondence with family and friends - it's essential to us. I'd drop TV cable to save before I'd drop internet service. There are always movies to rent.
Blessed are You, HaShem, Who blesses the years.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook