Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Heat Wave Recipes...
6 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2008 - 12:33AM #1
mountain_man
How come there aren't any food threads going on? Don't you people eat?:D

What do you eat when it's hot?

It's almost 9:30 pm and it just got down to 80 degrees. It was 110 on my front porch (in the shade with no breeze) at 3pm. Then add to that all the smoke from all the fires around the state. Visibility was about 2 miles.

Needless to say, I didn't feel like cooking or eating anything that was even warm.

Usually I make a big salad with that fake crab and thousand island dressing. It's cold and filling.

Today I experimented - I took a can of tomato soup I stuck in the fridge last night and mixed it with a can of cold water. It was great. Add some chopped onions, some hot sauce, and you have gazpacho. That and a ham sandwich made a nice dinner.

What's your favorite?
Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2008 - 9:07AM #2
IreneAdler
When it's hot, I like:

Go to freezer. 

Take out ice cream carton. 

Scoop out into bowl. 

Return carton to freezer.

Eat.

REally, that's all I can manage when the triple digit temps hit. And sometimes the heat makes me not want to eat anything.

Irene.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2008 - 9:07AM #3
IreneAdler
When it's hot, I like:

Go to freezer. 

Scoop out into bowl. 

Eat.

REally, that's all I can manage when the triple digit temps hit. And sometimes the heat makes me not want to eat anything.

Irene.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2008 - 4:50PM #4
Evillynnstar
I'm a fan of cold cut sandwiches. Fresh tomato, nice cuts of meat and cheese on a roll, with a spicy mustard.
I'm also a hugh fan of cheese, crackers, pepperoni and a good red wine.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2008 - 8:56PM #5
Tamayo
I've become partial to preparing a small package of Jello instant chocolate pudding with about 3/4s of a tub of Cool Whip mixed in. Sure it makes a great filling for chocolate cream pie. But it also is great straight up like regular pudding or mousse!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2008 - 9:03PM #6
mountain_man

IreneAdler wrote:

When it's hot, I like:

Go to freezer. 

Scoop out into bowl. 

Eat.

Irene.

Try those freezer pops made for sick children. They have some electrolytes in them. That's something you'll need if it's hot. Those are also good if you have a sore throat.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2008 - 9:06PM #7
mountain_man

Evillynnstar wrote:

I'm a fan of cold cut sandwiches. Fresh tomato, nice cuts of meat and cheese on a roll, with a spicy mustard.
I'm also a hugh fan of cheese, crackers, pepperoni and a good red wine.

A big plate with antipasto and some good wine is always great on a hot day. In fact, that would go great with my cold tomato soup.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2008 - 7:29PM #8
aws720k
One of my summer time favorites is chopped lettuce with a big dab of cottage cheese and cubed pieces of watermelon and cantaloupe on top. A few honey wheat crackers along side and you're good to go. I even like to have a couple of green onions with this...just for the bite.

Annie
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2008 - 10:30PM #9
mountain_man

aws720k wrote:

One of my summer time favorites is chopped lettuce with a big dab of cottage cheese and cubed pieces of watermelon and cantaloupe on top.

That does sound good.

A few honey wheat crackers along side and you're good to go. I even like to have a couple of green onions with this...just for the bite.

Followed up with fresh fruit for desert.

The problem is that all that healthy food might upset my system.:D

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2008 - 10:41AM #10
red_verge
When it gets this hot, I can't really eat either, unless it's super-light. I like making meze platters- like hummus, babaghanoush, cold beets with cilantro, and Greek yogurt with feta and cucumbers. You can eat all that stuff with pita bread, crackers, chopped vegetables, or by themselves.

I've also recently rediscovered Marino's Italian ices, which are good to have in the freezer. Just water and sugar. Delicious, delicious water and sugar.

Now I'm hungry. Dammit.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook