Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
6 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2008 - 10:25AM #1
Karma_yeshe_dorje
How do you cook Skippy? The meat is red, lean and very pungent! I chopped it up small, pan-fried it and put it in a crock pot with vegetables.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 10, 2008 - 12:32AM #2
Talamar
When I lived in Montana, we hunted American Antelope.  It too is a pungent red meat.  We always marinated the meat in red wine, red wine vinegar, black pepper, salt, and whatever green herbs struck our fancy.  The marinade mellowed the meat and made it tender.  Afterwards we cooked it however we wanted.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 10, 2008 - 1:29AM #3
Karma_yeshe_dorje
That makes sense. I have all those flavourings except the red wine. And I think I have an Asian soy-based marinade also. Please remind me of the procedure for marinading meat.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 10, 2008 - 12:56PM #4
Gandalf_Parker
I can only compare it to possum. We treated it pretty much the same. Crock pot. And for much of the same reasons. Basically we tended to go with a "gumbo" recipe. But on the other hand, we werent working with an animal large enough to get steaks from so I can see the need for another answer.

New thought... elk and such creatures often make excellent jerky.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 10, 2008 - 2:02PM #5
Karma_yeshe_dorje
Dear Gandalf_Parker:

I marinaded tonight's chopped roo, and it's now in the crock pot with veg.

[QUOTE]a "gumbo" recipe.[/QUOTE]?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2008 - 1:03AM #6
Talamar
1 part red wine, 1 part red wine vinegar, 1 tsp salt, 1-2 tsps black pepper, 1 tsp ea. green herbs.  Make enough to cover meat at least half-way in a glass baking dish.  Stoneware works well too.  Cover dish with lid or plastic film.  Refrigerate at least 2 hours.  Over night works best.  Or set up marinade in the morning so that meat is ready by dinner time.  Turn meat over half way through marinading time if not completely covered by marinade.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2008 - 12:56PM #7
Sholem
Gumbo is a stew containing and thickened by okra. In Louisiana, file' (dried sassafras leaves) is sometimes used instead of okra. And although the word conjurs up some fairly specific associations for some people, I find that the gumbos I've tasted from different parts of the southern U.S. (eg Louisiana and North Carolina) are quite different from one another.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2008 - 9:13PM #8
Karma_yeshe_dorje
Thanks Talamar:

[QUOTE]Refrigerate at least 2 hours. Over night works best. Or set up marinade in the morning so that meat is ready by dinner time.[/QUOTE]I hadn't realised that the soaking needed to be so long. What size do you cut up the meat?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2008 - 2:04AM #9
Talamar
I cut the meat in whatever manner I need for the dish I am going to cook.  If it is a thick cut, like some steak cuts, I sometimes poke the pieces with a fork all over the surface on both sides so that the marinade penetrates the meat pieces better.  That way the meat picks up more flavor from the marinade.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2008 - 4:17AM #10
Karma_yeshe_dorje
Thanks: I bought teriyaki marinade, and added as recommended lemon juice and parsley, plus I put in red wine vinegar.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook