Page 3 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The REAL Kitty Blues
7 years ago  ::  May 03, 2008 - 8:50PM #21
MsCGheartofohio
After all the calls and agony of waiting and false starts, I am so glad to hear that Spooky is out of that campground!  I can't say I'm surprised that Bruces' mother backed out, and I know your heart wasn't really in that plan.

I hope you are being very careful around him, while he gets used to his new home-for-now.  I bet that being able to pet him for the first time was an amazing moment!

Has he eaten since you got him home?  Since he remembers you feeding him and is getting to know your touch, you might be able to win him over a little more with some special treats.  I know it is probably back to square one with building his confidence, and it will take a lot of patience and kindness, but then you are the perfect person for that!  If he allows you to pet him without growling or snapping, I think that is an excellent sign.  Please just be very careful.

I think going to the media is a great idea.  If you can get some more nice pictures of him, maybe you can even make up some flyers and start a "Spooky Fund."  Knowing so much about the situation he came from, you could write up a nice little blurb about him, and the treatment he needs before finding a permanent home.    You could talk to your vet, and some local businesses to see if you could post flyers there.  Maybe the vets office would even allow donations to be sent directly to them - it would be good PR for them!

My very best,
CG
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 04, 2008 - 11:35PM #22
RememberFriends
Those are some great ideas. I will have to talk them over with Bruce. (By the way it was Terrys mother not Bruces). He is saying we should just put him down!!  I just don't know. I have been able to pet him everyday since we got him here. Usually  he is out of the dog house & i step on the lease so he can't get away & then I pet him. Today he was in  the dog house & I reached in & pet him. At 1st he acted like he wanted to bite me & turned his head towards my arm. All he did was lick my arm though. I just continued to pet him. Then again I had some ice & he was licking at it while I held it. Yesterday though was real fun. Bruce let our dog Missy out & when Spooky saw her he got real excited. Bruce opened the pen & Spooky came out. He was still on the leash. Bruce deciced that Spooky was doing so good at following Missy he would take him for a little walk. Well they got as far as a trailer that my daughter has in the yard & Spooky ran under it & wouldn't come out. I was in the house just getting ready to take a shower. I had to throw some clothes back on & go out there. it took a while to get him out from under the trailer. We literally had to pull himm out & then I had to carry him back to the pen 7 put him in. My back hurt so bad by the time i got him to the pen I could hardly walk. I didn't know if I wanted to kill him or Bruce !!!! That dog has to weigh at least 50lbs & with my bad back, knees & other things I was realy in lots of pain. I couldn't even come in & take my shower. I had to rest first because i couldn't even stand up!!! Like i said i really don't know what to do. With all of the work I put in calling everyone trying to get help I hate to put him down put I have my doubts if he will ever get use to a leash!  He doesn't seem to mind the collar but when we take a hold of the leash he starts  fighting us. With his heartworm I just don't know. Plus although he lets me pet him he doesn't let anyone else. There was one time yesterday when I went to pet him he yelped but I just continued to pet him & he calmed down. We aren't going to find a home for him if I am the only one he lets get near him. Another problem we have is every time we let my daughters dogs out one of thm starts barking at Spooky so we have to bring them back in & that's not fair to them because they are locked up in a hallway all day. So many questions with no answers. I just don't know what to do. Can a few of you tell me your opinion on what you would do??? It would  be a big help I think.
Thanks MAW
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 06, 2008 - 7:59PM #23
RememberFriends
I had some hope that spooky was going to come around because he has been letting me pet him but I dont' think so now.  He runs into his house every time he sees me coming. He is just like me very depressed. I think we are going to have to him put down. Well I guess he didn't starve to death in the campground or go out & get hit by a car. He will die a peacefull death.  That's what I"m being told anyway! !!

MAW
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 06, 2008 - 7:59PM #24
RememberFriends
I had some hope that spooky was going to come around because he has been letting me pet him but I dont' think so now.  He runs into his house every time he sees me coming. He is just like me very depressed. I think we are going to have to him put down. Well I guess he didn't starve to death in the campground or go out & get hit by a car. He will die a peacefull death.  That's what I"m being told anyway! !!

MAW
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 08, 2008 - 11:25AM #25
MsCGheartofohio
:(  Maw, I know that you have been dealing with the situation for weeks, I'm sure its been stressful and, and I know it's been a strain physically and emotionally to try to help Spooky.

I certainly can't tell you what to do, I'm not there to help.  But unless there's more to the story, it just sounds rash - putting him down less than a week after rescuing him, because his personality hasn't changed overnight?  I feel very sad...

CG
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 08, 2008 - 5:46PM #26
RememberFriends
CG - Don't worry we aren't going to rush into anything! ! !  We are still working with Spooky.  It just seems like hhe isn't happy in there but maybe he does feel safe. Everytime I go out there if I start to go towards the pen he runs into his house & will not come out for anything! !   I just went out to give him some treats  & he was outside his house. He saw me coming & ran into his house. I got down & gave him his treats & I put my hand in to pet him 7 he acted like he wanted to bite me. I went ahead & started petting him & I could tell he really didn't like it but at least he didn't bite me like he looked like he was going to do. One of these days maybe he will bite me but oh well!!!   So like I said it's not something we are going to do in the to near future. MAW
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 09, 2008 - 2:41AM #27
Devona
Hi Maw,

One of these days maybe he will bite me but oh well!!!

Don't let that happen.  I don't know about where you live but here in Pennsyvlania, all dog bites are reported to the health dept.  If the dog doesn't have the Rabies vaccine, then he'll either wind up euthanzied or in quarantine.  Quarantine can get expensive too and I know you don't need that.  Even if he's been vaccinated, he'll could be quarantined for 10 days.  So, be careful for both your sakes.

Blessings,
Devona
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 13, 2008 - 7:06AM #28
RememberFriends
Don't worry I am being very careful. One day he acted like he wanted to bite me but just licked my arm. I try  to pet him everyday. Usually when I go in the pen he runs in the dog house. Yesterday when I went in to feed him he went into his out but then came out of it & laid in his pen watching me. I stepped on his leash & walked up & pet him. At least he did come out if his dog house while I was in the pen so that's progess. Bruce was able to pet him so that was good too. Well that's the lastest on him. I will continue to give you updates as they happen. - MAW
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 13, 2008 - 7:17AM #29
MsCGheartofohio
MAW that sounds very positive.  It seems like he is a little more trusting - do you feel like he's doing a little better? 

I still think you could work on a flyer about him.

CG
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 13, 2008 - 7:21AM #30
boodlebear
MAW to tame down my formerly feral kitties (one who is sitting on my CPU) I used the most stinky catfood on the market....... Might work for your pup.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook