Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The REAL Kitty Blues
7 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2008 - 12:16PM #1
appy20
I am starting this for MsCGheart.    Hopefully this thread will take.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2008 - 10:53AM #2
MsCGheartofohio
Thanks, appy, it's great to see things back on track after the database issues :)

I had a health scare with Miss Kitty late in the week.  In the space of an evening, she went from her elegant, rambunctious self to lethargic,  dull-eyed, just completely "off." She's only 3 years old, and never had any physical problems, so her atypical behavior really worried me.  I tried to start a thread to get some input from you all while I was waiting to get her in to the vet, and found that you could open a thread with a title, but the body of the message didn't show up.  And of course, we know now that posting was not possible for most of Thursday and part of Friday.

I did get her right in to the vet the next afternoon (Thursday).  Miss Kitty was thoroughly checked over for wounds, bruising, dental issues, fractures, abdominal problems - everything was negative.  We elected to have a blood screen and to start her on antibiotics, while waiting for the blood tests to come back Friday.  The major concern was that she might might have ingested poison somehow - she had caught a mouse when she was outside the previous week, and if it had been in someone's garage and eaten poison, it would be in Miss Kitty's system, too! 

The great news is, the blood screen came back normal.  No toxins, and no real indication of infection.  They said to keep her on the antibiotics anyway,   and I'm so happy to report that she's been a little better each day.  Last night she came to me at bedtime for her usual pets and brushing.  This morning, she ate a more normal breakfast, had a big drink, and chased Zeus up and down the hall a few times!!  Her eyes look "normal," and her stride is slinky and confident again.  She also battled me like the dickens when it was time for medicine this morning! :p

I am really rethinking her outdoor time.  She has never wandered off the premises, never scuffled with any other animals in the area, not really even successfully hunted that I was previously aware of (aside from the occasional cricket).  But I have no control over whether my neighbors put rat poison out on their properties, or if a contaminated rodent may wander onto our turf.  The limits on her outdoor excursions always seemed to keep her safe in the past, but I realize now that the only "safe" place for her is in the house!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2008 - 1:11PM #3
rasphila
Good to hear that Miss Kitty is getting better. I am not a vet, but in our experience a cat with an infection of any kind can be miserable, and treating the infection can make a huge difference.

I think you're wise to reconsider Miss Kitty's outdoor time, too. She has a playmate, so exercise won't be a problem. And cats who live indoors are not unhappy. Cats don't have enormous territories anyway, so the house becomes their territory. Indoor cats live a lot longer than outdoor ones, simply because they don't face as many hazards.
"Prediction is very hard, especially when it's about the future."—Yogi Berra
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2008 - 1:15PM #4
appy20
I wish I had never let my cats outside.  Once you do, though, it is challenging to get them to stay in. Of course, i had the idea of barn cats and the stable I used to board my horses at kept their barn cats forever and never had a problem.  With the dog problem in my neighborhood, I have a problem.

Really, poison is the least of the dangers.  It just takes one run in with the wrong dog.

I am glad that Miss Kitty is improving.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2008 - 9:30PM #5
MsCGheartofohio
She's definitely better each day, thank goodness.  A few minutes ago she sprawled on the floor and offered her fluffy tummy to entice me into a game of shred the hand.

I opened a can of water-packed chicken and gave her a little treat.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2008 - 9:59PM #6
appy20
I'm glad. I know you are worried.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2008 - 11:14PM #7
MsCGheartofohio
Yeah, thanks! 
She took a while to hook me, but I've been reeled in now, no turning back ;)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2008 - 1:44AM #8
Devona
It IS really hard to keep a cat in once it's been outside!  Years ago my cat Whiskers broke his leg and even with a paw-to-hip cast - a very heavy cast at that - he still managed to sneak out on me!  Luckily he couldn't move too fast and I was always able to catch him and put him back inside.  That lasted until the darn cast came off............

Now that I work at a vets, I don't think I could have an outdoor cat again.....(maybe a barn cat if I lived in the middle of nowhere!).........even though I know some cats NEED to be outside.  It would be hard for me to allow it now that I've seen all the dangerous things that can happen.  I never was able to keep Whiskers in and he did live to be 23 years old....

Anyway, if your kitty is responding to the antibiotics, it's likely she had some kind of bacterial infection.  I'm so glad she's on the mend.  I hope you'll be able to keep her in but if she gets out, don't beat yourself up over it.  Some cats (most cats!) have minds of their own and once they've been exposed to the great outdoors, well, it's way too confining to force them to stay in - even though we'd feel better if they did!   If your cat is absolutely miserable inside, then you have to think about her quality of life and weigh it against the dangers. You do the best you can, that's all you can do.

Blessings,
Devona
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2008 - 10:26AM #9
MsCGheartofohio
It is very hard to keep them in, but it is do-able.  One thing I wish I had was an old fashioned enclosed porch.  At least you could catch them in between doors :)

I have considered screening in my deck - it's fairly small, so materials would be affordable.  That would alleviate the do-si-do  stuff between all of us at the door - if she got out, she still couldn't go beyond the deck.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2008 - 12:32PM #10
appy20
MsCG,
I am working on your pictures. Unfortunately, I have dial up at home and that just did not work. I could not download them to my computer.  I don't have time at work but will work on them during my lunch hour.  At least try.  For some reason, even with our high speed internet, your pictures are slow to download.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook