Page 4 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Favorite special ingredients?
6 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2008 - 1:55PM #31
darcamani
I enjoy pine nuts too, and am not a fan of nut loaf.  I use beans and corn and rice in much of my cooking and fresh in season veggies, toasted  nuts more as a snack with cheese and fruit.
I spice the nuts with a bit of sugar and fav pepper of the day and toast very quickly, takes about 30 sec. on high heat stirred constantly, plopped in a bowl and lightly salted.

They do not last long.
  This works for pine nuts too  , reduce to 10 seconds on high heat and keep them moving, add this to some pasta.

Yum!
I swear by smoked paprika and garlic salt for these. 

Dar
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2008 - 5:20PM #32
appy20
Garlic is the wonder spice.  I have always said that if you sautee shoestrings in garlic, they would probably taste wonderful.  Although, I have never tried it. :D
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 01, 2008 - 11:26AM #33
IreneAdler
For your garlic-loving enjoyment:

The Gilroy Garlic Festival:

http://www.gilroygarlicfestival.com/index.html

My parents used to live in Gilroy and, naturally attended every year.  Most unusual food: garlic ice cream.  My understanding is there are many takers, however, Mom didn't find it very appealing.

IRene.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 01, 2008 - 5:03PM #34
MsCGheartofohio
OMG, there are some great pics on that site!  "Mr. Garlic,"  ROTFL.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 02, 2008 - 8:30PM #35
boodlebear
[QUOTE=MsCGheartofohio;425525]I stopped at a friend's house the other night to show her Zeus the pug and pick up some outdoor cushions that she offered me.  She insisted that I stay for dinner, and made delicious oven baked chicken tenders.  The secret ingredient that she rolled them in?

Crushed Potato Chips!!

Oh dear, I'm afraid that they were phenomenal!!  I'm afraid to ask for the recipe - she said she loves them so much she's been making them every week![/QUOTE]

I just this now used crushed potato chips warmed in a small bit of butter and placed that over my gently fried eggs. I'd do it again. The chips just might give the cracker crumbs a run for their money.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 04, 2008 - 1:16PM #36
boodlebear
Has anyone used Bragg Liquid Amino all purpose seasoning?  It's made from soy protein and tastes pretty good. I just spalshed some on my stew meat as it's braising. Smells lovely.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 04, 2008 - 3:49PM #37
darcamani
Yes, I use Bragg regularly,  I almost forget it is a "special ingredient" lol, some times I take for granted what I have in my pantry and forget some of the stuff I have may seem unusual for some.

I keep a jar of Ghee on hand, clarified butter has a high smoking point and awakens the peppers and other spices  I have on hand beautifully.

Bragg I use for darn near everything, I don't bake much so that is safe, it simply adds to a marinade in place of salt and in addition to lemon juice or other acid.

BBQ sauce is also a secret of mine and has actually found its' way into  bread.

My bbq sauce :)  that recipe I don't share unless you are with me while I am making it.

Now here is an off topic question,  the little box I am typing in is about 2" square, um, How did I do that and will it go away?  I hit a button with my broken hand , and is a mystery what I hit to make this darn thing so hard to read.

any help?

Dar
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 04, 2008 - 3:51PM #38
darcamani
oh I don't have chips on hand regularly, yet do use them for crunch and seasoning, usually on chicken. 
My sons love that.

Dar
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 04, 2008 - 9:53PM #39
MsCGheartofohio
dar, sorry about your "mini" window - I have not heard of that one happening yet, hope next time you're on it will be back to normal. 

How is your hand?  Is it out of commission for long?

CG
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 06, 2008 - 6:13AM #40
darcamani
Hi all,

Mini window was fixed, don't have an idea how,  just happy it is.
My right hand is out of work, has been for almost 3 months and will be until??

I will be meeting with surgeon this week  to establish what I can,keep... ow.

No worries tho, just a hand.  I have two.

My life saver here is processed stuff, I never thought I would be so happy to see frozen chopped veggies, ever,  I dont own a food processor, never thought I would need one, took me a long time to practice and perfect knife skills, so why would I ever need one?

Golly.

Now I do.

Or I am reduced to frozen dinners and that plain hurts my everything.

Which leads to my other staple currently available, Stouffers tm.  Mac and cheez, yea.

I get to look at my pantry, dream of what I want to cook and have the benefit of a clean kitchen because right now I am not cooking.

My sons are doing everything and are very sweet, "mom? ya want the spaghettios out of a can or heated and can the can go in the microwave?"

Or my fav,.  I always have pickles on hand, some very  spicy HOT,  my sons do not know the difference yet, I asked for a pickle to go with a tuna sandwich, they found the one not ready for polite company.

I work with peppers a lot, and they know that part, they did not know that vinegar helps carry the heat everywhere.
Everywhere.

Here I am one handed trying to get the extremely sticky oil off everyone. 

My kids owe me on this one.

:)

Wear gloves when handling peppers, and wash completely or you will know every mucus membrane you will ever know, intimately.

If you are like me and work with them every day  warn your partners! 
No kiss, no nothing until the oil is off. 

One handed :)

Thanks all.

Dar
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook