Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Favorite special ingredients?
7 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2008 - 1:04PM #1
MsCGheartofohio
What is that ingredient that you like to keep on hand?  Something that just makes things taste better.  It could be an herb or spice, a condiment...

For me, it is frozen chopped onion and bell pepper.  Though I prefer fresh when possible, the frozen package is convenient and ready to use - and economical, too - fresh bell peppers in my area are PRICEY!

I find myself using this mix often.  It is perfect for omelets - just saute a few minutes to thaw before pouring the egg in.  It's good in soups and stews, potato, vegetable and pasta dishes, and can make something fairly basic really taste special.

My mother started using it in hamburger helper - something she and my dad still have about once a week.   She offered me a taste one evening, and it was delicious!  I asked if it was a new flavor and she said no, it was the same kind she always made, but she added the onion and pepper mix this time.   The simmering made the added flavor very subtle - it tasted more like something made from scratch (instead of rehydrated out of a box).

CG
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2008 - 7:25PM #2
boodlebear
I like to use cracker crumbs. I'll brown them in butter and add chopped onion and place over warm eggs. Or combine cracker crumbs with Herbs du Provence. I don't know the herb mixture but lavender buds had been added. That's great on chicken or any light meat. And, don't forget garlic powder. sigh....
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2008 - 8:36PM #3
MsCGheartofohio
that sounds good!  I've used seasoned bread crumbs, but never tried seasoning cracker crumbs before - I will have to try it - I always like something that adds a little crunch:)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2008 - 6:38AM #4
boodlebear
Cracker crumbs are especially good on freshwater fish like crappie or blue gill. Oatmeal is good on ocean fish. Just make a regular egg wash for the dipping.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2008 - 8:36AM #5
IreneAdler
Aleppo pepper!  I use this instead of ground, black pepper. It's like black pepper but with more "character".  "Tis addictive too.

IRene.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2008 - 10:23PM #6
MsCGheartofohio
:eek:  Irene, I do not know anything about aleppo pepper!  :eek:

Foodie that I am, too.  Does it come already ground, or do you grind it yourself?  I'm intrigued!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2008 - 12:48PM #7
appy20
I like this rosemary, garlic, pepper mix I get at Sam's Club made by Tone spices.  Rub that on chicken and put it on a rotisserie and you have heaven.  It is also good in lentils.  It is great on oven fried egg too.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2008 - 10:36AM #8
IreneAdler
[QUOTE=MsCGheartofohio;409468]:eek:  Irene, I do not know anything about aleppo pepper!  :eek:

Foodie that I am, too.  Does it come already ground, or do you grind it yourself?  I'm intrigued![/QUOTE]

Aleppo pepper comes as tiny red flakes.

Here's where I get it:

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysaleppopepper.html

Irene.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2008 - 10:43AM #9
MsCGheartofohio
Thanks for the source, Irene, I will definitely check that out :)

appy, that blend sound very good, and I know exactly where to find it at Sams - I will check that out next time I go.  It's grilling season now, and I think I had better stock up!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2008 - 12:42PM #10
MsCGheartofohio
I stopped at a friend's house the other night to show her Zeus the pug and pick up some outdoor cushions that she offered me.  She insisted that I stay for dinner, and made delicious oven baked chicken tenders.  The secret ingredient that she rolled them in?

Crushed Potato Chips!!

Oh dear, I'm afraid that they were phenomenal!!  I'm afraid to ask for the recipe - she said she loves them so much she's been making them every week!
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook