Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Switch to Forum Live View Favorite special ingredients?
6 years ago  ::  May 06, 2008 - 10:10PM #41
MsCGheartofohio
Dar, I do hope the hand situation will have a positive outcome.  Meanwhile, you really are a wonderful teacher!

Sounds like your boys are getting handy around the kitchen - one way or another :) 
I always stayed away from pre-prepped produce in the past, more from an economic standpoint, but times being what they are, there are many more affordable options now. 

Stouffer's frozen side dishes are one of my great weaknesses - the corn and spinach souffles, bacon cheddar potatoes, and the baked apples - just like warm pie filling, top with ice cream. 

If I haven't  sent you over the edge with that confession, :)
a little velveeta melted over the canned pasta helps a lot :D

My best,
CG
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 06, 2008 - 10:10PM #42
MsCGheartofohio
Dar, I do hope the hand situation will have a positive outcome.  Meanwhile, you really are a wonderful teacher!

Sounds like your boys are getting handy around the kitchen - one way or another :) 
I always stayed away from pre-prepped produce in the past, more from an economic standpoint, but times being what they are, there are many more affordable options now. 

Stouffer's frozen side dishes are one of my great weaknesses - the corn and spinach souffles, bacon cheddar potatoes, and the baked apples - just like warm pie filling, top with ice cream. 

If I haven't  sent you over the edge with that confession, :)
a little velveeta melted over the canned pasta helps a lot :D

My best,
CG
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 07, 2008 - 11:32AM #43
darcamani
MsC, thank you, you are very kind :)  .

I am actually adapting pretty well, I am fortunate that I am skilled and teaching my left hand what it already knows is proving fun, and challenging, I set out to retrain and relearn  my whole chef experience,  my right brain a solid run :) .

Today I set out to learn how to peel a hard boiled egg perfectly, 1 handed,  I am very happy to say after 1 faulty start, I hard 11 perfectly peeled hard boiled eggs in under 3 min. Not bad for a first time  :).  I happily ate the first one.

It doesn't take much...

Egg salad mmm.  on white bread.

I do have Velveeta lol

Dar
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 07, 2008 - 11:45AM #44
boodlebear
Well done, Dar.  Egg salad sounds delightful.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 07, 2008 - 1:49PM #45
darcamani
Thanks, it turned out great. :)

I quarted some of the eggs and  think  I will  asks my sons  to make an anti pasta platter with the egg and a few jarrred ingredients, they will be opening jars  slicing cheeses, and sharpening their knive skills :)  with my direction..

We really are enjoying this time together, they rarely actually get to see me work and are having fun getting their hands dirty.

I am so proud of those two.  :)

Dar
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2008 - 3:46AM #46
taofornow
Hope none of you mind if I bring this thread back to the top.  One of my favorite ingredients is rosemary; I get the powdered kind from Penzey's, and it blends beautifully into a rich white sauce to use with cauliflower or pototoes, yummm.  I also like to add rosemary to split pea soup, it is just wonderful.

Two blends that I have been using frequently for quick meals when I don't have the time or inclination to do much from scratch (both from Penzey's):  Fox Point Seasoning, which contains salt, shallots, chives, garlic, onion, and green peppercorn, and Bavarian Seasoning, which contains crushed brown mustard, rosemary, garlic, tyhme, bay leaves, and sage.  They are both very versatile.  There is a similar blend to Fox Point that does not contain salt (can't remember the name), but since I seldom add salt to anything I make, the little in the FP is ok with me.   The Fox Point is especially good on broiled or sauteed fish or chicken, and I also like to add it to scrambled eggs, omelets, or quiches, also mixed into mashed potatoes.  The Bavarian is great sprinkled on any meat, particularly pork, but I also love it with chunky hash brown potatoes, or as a sandwich sprinkle.

I'm a barbarian who relies heavily on dried herbs - the fresh ones in the store are too costly, and I am horrible at growing anything.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2008 - 9:12AM #47
IreneAdler
[QUOTE=taofornow;613068]Hope none of you mind if I bring this thread back to the top.  One of my favorite ingredients is rosemary; I get the powdered kind from Penzey's, and it blends beautifully into a rich white sauce to use with cauliflower or pototoes, yummm.  I also like to add rosemary to split pea soup, it is just wonderful.

Two blends that I have been using frequently for quick meals when I don't have the time or inclination to do much from scratch (both from Penzey's):  Fox Point Seasoning, which contains salt, shallots, chives, garlic, onion, and green peppercorn, and Bavarian Seasoning, which contains crushed brown mustard, rosemary, garlic, tyhme, bay leaves, and sage.  They are both very versatile.  There is a similar blend to Fox Point that does not contain salt (can't remember the name), but since I seldom add salt to anything I make, the little in the FP is ok with me.   The Fox Point is especially good on broiled or sauteed fish or chicken, and I also like to add it to scrambled eggs, omelets, or quiches, also mixed into mashed potatoes.  The Bavarian is great sprinkled on any meat, particularly pork, but I also love it with chunky hash brown potatoes, or as a sandwich sprinkle.

I'm a barbarian who relies heavily on dried herbs - the fresh ones in the store are too costly, and I am horrible at growing anything.[/QUOTE]

Oh, yeah, I dig Penzeys too!

Fox Point seasoning is wonderful. 

Lately, I've been putting the Italian sausage seasoning on eggs.  Pretty good.

Irene.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2008 - 9:12AM #48
IreneAdler
[QUOTE=taofornow;613068]Hope none of you mind if I bring this thread back to the top.  One of my favorite ingredients is rosemary; I get the powdered kind from Penzey's, and it blends beautifully into a rich white sauce to use with cauliflower or pototoes, yummm.  I also like to add rosemary to split pea soup, it is just wonderful.

I'm a barbarian who relies heavily on dried herbs - the fresh ones in the store are too costly, and I am horrible at growing anything.[/QUOTE]

Oh, yeah, I dig Penzeys too!

Fox Point seasoning is wonderful. 

Lately, I've been putting the Italian sausage seasoning on eggs.  Pretty good.

Irene.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 months ago  ::  Jan 01, 2014 - 1:07PM #49
deniese

A sweet friend of mine asked that I share the recipe for my "Texas Caviar"..so here it is..

2 cans of Blackeyed Peas (drain)

1/4 cup Red Onion

1/4 cup chopped parsley

1/4 cup red wine vinegar

2 tablespoons of Olive Oil

3 Garlic cloves

2 plum tomatoes

1 small red pepper

1 jalepeno

dash of hot sauce or tabasco sauce

salt and pepper to taste

***I added chopped ham and shredded sharp cheddar cheese***

Mix everything together in a large bowl, allow to chill for at least 3hrs...but better overnight..

and serve with Tortilla Chips...ENJOY!!!

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook