Page 2 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
6 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2008 - 5:34PM #11
Shihulud

Certainly that is true for families who decide to send their children to state run schools as well. I have no problem raising my own child without the assistance of the government.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 21, 2008 - 10:49PM #12
jesusfreakgal

I agree.  Parents should let children be educated by the form of education that is best for them.  Some childeren might learn best in a traditional school setting while other would benefit from homeschooling.  I know a girl who was homeschooled and then went to a public high school.  The brother is homeschhooled largely because he is seriously bullied in traditional school.

Moderated by Merope on Mar 04, 2011 - 11:03AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 21, 2008 - 10:51PM #13
jesusfreakgal

Shihulud, just wondering but if when ur child is junior high/high school age and they want to attend public school, would u consider it?

Moderated by Merope on Mar 04, 2011 - 11:06AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2009 - 5:18PM #14
Shihulud

Oct 21, 2008 -- 10:51PM, jesusfreakgal wrote:

Shihulud, just wondering but if when ur child is junior high/high school age and they want to attend public school would u consider it?

Hi, I just found this message. Not sure what your questions was. Your post got cut off. I still check posts here from time to time if you still remember what it is you wanted to know. ;-)

Moderated by Merope on Mar 04, 2011 - 11:08AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2009 - 12:09AM #15
Kc7ljj

I have been home educating for 5 years now.  Beore that I taught HS English.  I taught mainly at a private school, but I have also taught in a public system.  The reasons for home schooling are as different as the families that decide on this option.  For us, we needed to bring our twin daughters home to deal with dyslexia.  However, it would be three years after we brought them home that we would have the dyslexia diagnosed.  They are borderline and in the last two years have gone from a 1st grade reading level to a 6th grade level, which is on level for their age. 

Because they are twins there were other issues of educating that I really didn't want to have to deal with.  Some of the same arguments for educating twins, socialization being the main one, are the same ones I've heard against home schooling.  After being in the classroom, I find that reasoning to be bogus.  Most true socialization happens outside of the school.  And you can find a lot of socially inept students that have attended public and private institutions the whole way through.

I like the freedom that home schooling has afforded us.  We can travel with my husband when he has a contract outside of our area if we want too.  We spent a month in Washington DC, and that was an excellent chance to teach.  I also firmly believe that you are not just educating your children, you are continueing to educate yourself.  I am not a history fan, but I have enjoyed teaching it because I get a chance to learn what I missed before.

I say all of this to come to this conclusion.  It is the choice of the parents.  There is a lot more support for families now than 25 years ago, and there are more reasons to do it than just religious ones.  Create a lifestyle and environment for learning, and everything else will work itself out.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2009 - 6:00PM #16
puzzleman

My wife home schooled my daughter from the second grade all the way through high school. She wouldn't have had it any other way the kids were through with school by May and for the most part they were done with school by 1:00 pm. The curriculum materials were not cheap but it was worth the investment.Laughing

If your going to give it a try I suggest buying the text or curriculm the school is using and pace yourself by keeping in touch with someone in your childs class for the first year. Monitor progress by state testing annually usually home schooled kids excel.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 17, 2010 - 7:28AM #17
jesusfreakgal

I see all schooling options as not for everyone (I mean mainly for children, but also parents, particularly financially). I don't think its fair to paint one schooling option (even if it is public schooling) as the 'only option' parents should use to have their children educated. Also, I know of 2 differnt cases relating to this topic. One where homeschooling is good for the kid because he was seriously bullied at school. The other where the parents are homeschooling all but one of their children because for one, the structure of public school seems to be a great thing for him and he seems to be doing educationally better there.

JFG

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2010 - 8:24AM #18
jesusfreakgal

My personal opinion on educating children is that what ever education method is best for a child and/ or a family should first and formost depend on the individual child. One may have children that just don't fit well in traditional schooling. Wether or not its the structure of traditional schooling, bulling, or whatever, those kids, if it is possible, should be homeschooled/ unschooled. I know of a kid who is homeschooled largely because of how badly he was being bullied at school. As far as I know he does much better with homeschooling. His older sister (my friend) was homeschooled for a while, but when she because high school age, she wanted to go to a regular high school and not be homeschooled anymore. She did well in traditional high school and ended up going to university and stuff. Also, there are other factors that play into whether or not a family can home school their children or not. If a family is in a financial situation where both parents have to work (to the point where if they were to have one parent stay home they would have to downsize to an extreme degree, such as having to give up their only car/ van, and move to a house without enough bedroom space for the entire family) then homeschooling might not be right for them. In addition, if a parent does/ can stay at home to homeschool the children, that does not mean they always can. If the parent lacks the skills, or education knowledge (such they are are very poor at a large number of subjects and would need another person to teach most subjects fairly early on, such as like grade 4 or so) to educate their children, then it might not be a great idea for that parent to attempt to educate their children. Now I get homeschooling might not be something that is just often done 'oh so easily' all the time, but that does not mean that if everyone who does it gives it time it will work out. The opposite is true also, that homeschooling is not something that no one should do. I see the point to homeshooling. Sometimes a family cannot afford to send their child to a private (religious) school, and they feel that some of what is taught at public school counters what they/ the religious faith they are a apart of believes in/ teaches. They may not, for example agree with a school's teaching of evolution, or of what the school teaches sex education wise. Or it might be how in some schools (if they are Christian) sometimes christian students are not allowed to pray (well maybe only not out loud), or may not allow Christian students nto have bible studies/ prayer meeting on lunch hour or whatever when students of other religions are allowed more religious freedom (such as can have prayer time/ pray out loud, or meet together for a religious purpose). There have been instances where for example, students have been asked to remove crosses they are wearing, while other religions they were allowed to keep wearinig their religious jewellery. I just learned that that in the  Sikh religion it is one of the "five k's" (the religious rules for dress) to wear bangles, but it is not a rule for Christians to wear crosses. I think that even though this is so, they should all or no students at a school to wear religious jewellery if they have a no jewellery rule for safty reasons. Homeschooling can avoid issues like this, where your child is denied something, like being able to wear religious jewellery to school or hold prayer meedings on school property, or whatever homeschooling could be a good option. This is true even if you are part of a religious faith where things are allowed, simply to avoid people having issues with you  because similar activities of their religion are not allowed at the same school.

JFG

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 14, 2010 - 9:56AM #19
Lilmia77

Well my daughter is 13yrs old & in the 8th grade.  This year I chose to homeschool her as we lost my husband & her daddy and she continues to have major anxiety attacks at school.  She is extremely mature for her age & that to has its ups & downs.  By homeschooling her I can assist her in interacting with kids her age, as in public school she just shuts everyone out.  She sees them as immature,lol ironic huh.  But the life we have lived with Daddy being Epileptic has almost forced my 13, 9 & 7 yr old to grow older then there years.  Atleast this way I am able to find not only home school groups but also ones that she can connect with other kids who also have had to grow beyond there yrs.  Well, if anyone has any Ideas or suggestions that may be in simular situations I'd greatly appreciate it!! We r in Maryland. Thanx & God Bless You ALL!! 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 14, 2010 - 6:55PM #20
Shihulud

Lilmia77,

I'm so sorry about the loss of your husband.

There are lots of resources on the web for homeschoolers, and you might be able to find a group in your area, if that is what you wish. You can also get your kids involved in other activities, like Scouts, martial arts, music, sports at the YMCA or even through the school. There are so many opportunities out there for our children to experience and grow outside of a restrictive school system.

Here's a few links I frequent. Hope you find something helpful.

This one has lots of free resources and information on homeschooling: www.homeedmag.com/

Here's two with lots of links to lessons and worksheets and activities: www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/free-curri... 

www.tlsbooks.com/

Here's some specific to your state:

www.mhrn.com/

www.homeschoolcentral.com/support/maryla...

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook