Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
6 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2008 - 7:05PM #1
Shihulud
I'm seriously considering homeschooling my son next year when he is supposed to start kindergarten. My husband is retired, and I do not work outside the home. My husband also has a degree in education, and I have a college education as well. I really think it would be a great opportunity for us to really know our child instead of handing him over to the state to teach.
Anyone else here homeschool, or has been homeschooled? I'm reading about all the pros and cons, trying to gather as much information as I can before making a decision.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2008 - 11:49AM #2
windwizard
Home schooling has {as im sure you already know!} has many ups and downs.......one that I find is rather important is the quality time spent with other children.  As we grow taller and wiser, one should always be encouraged to participate in activities that work to build our minds, bodies, and of course emotional needs as well.
Im sure you and your husband have more than enough education to help you son to learn and grow,  however my only concern would be the patience and open mindedness that would be required for your sons best and highest success.
Personally I know parents from both sides of the education spectrum and as you might expect there are good and bad points to both!
Choose wisely, choose carefully and always know that you are free to of course change your mind over time if things are not progressing in the manner you had hoped they would.
All the best to you and your quest for a higher education for your son!  Children need guidence to achieve all their personal goals and the two of you sound caring and loving---which is the perfect place to start, right?

Please keep updating any info you receive as this is a excellent topic and many would indeed be interested in both sides of this coin im sure!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2008 - 8:16AM #3
REteach
There are groups of homeschoolers that do things together so kids can socialize as well.  I think that makes sense.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 17, 2008 - 12:23AM #4
Shihulud

I found a homeschooling support group in my area. They get together and the kids can do activities and field trips together. He would be interacting with children of all ages, not just his age.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 17, 2008 - 1:33PM #5
Cesmom
I totally respect parents having the option to homeschool.  I have an aunt and uncle who homeschooled their kids, and that seemed to work great for them. 

I personally see a lot of value in public schools, as long as the parents at home are very aware and involved in their children's education, of course.  Learning social skills can be acheived by doing activities with other home-schooled kids.  However, I think that kids get exposure to a more diverse group of other kids when they actually go to school, which is a more realistic preparation for the real world they will face as adults.  In addition, I think that the schools really benefit from having such involved parents contributing to the good of their school. 

Just my opinion...not saying home schooling is bad...I just see some additional benefits to public schools that I don't necessarily see with homeschooling.
Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2008 - 1:27PM #6
Earthfreak
[QUOTE=CESMom;766859]I totally respect parents having the option to homeschool.  I have an aunt and uncle who homeschooled their kids, and that seemed to work great for them. 

I personally see a lot of value in public schools, as long as the parents at home are very aware and involved in their children's education, of course.  Learning social skills can be acheived by doing activities with other home-schooled kids.  However, I think that kids get exposure to a more diverse group of other kids when they actually go to school, which is a more realistic preparation for the real world they will face as adults.  In addition, I think that the schools really benefit from having such involved parents contributing to the good of their school. 

Just my opinion...not saying home schooling is bad...I just see some additional benefits to public schools that I don't necessarily see with homeschooling.[/QUOTE]

I would tend to agree with this, I think what a kid misses out on by not entering the world at large at an early age is irreplaceable

At the same time, the homeschooled kids in my (liberal Quaker) sunday school class are some of the most confident, articulate, intelligent kids I know.  I think there are huge advantages to it, but wouldn't do it myself simply because I worry about the lack of exposure to worldviews different from my own.

I do think some of this can be addressed with homeschooling groups, so that kids are not spending all, or even a majority, of their time just with their parents.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2008 - 6:24PM #7
IHOP
I've thought about it for my son, he's just started Kindergarten this year.  But my worry is that I will cater toward my interests, and won't touch things that I'm not interested in, and then he'll miss something... perhaps something that would be important to him.

I was worried about him not fitting in with the other children, and not playing in a developmentally appropriate way, so I had him got to 5 year old preschool, and go to kindergarten when he was 6.  I think it has been much better for him.  He's much closer to the type of play of these children.

So.... I guess my comment would be.... make sure you've got your support.  Make sure you are a self starter.  and you can always decide to start Kindergarten at public school a year later if you want.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 22, 2008 - 7:30PM #8
Sakhaiva
Shihulud,

How wonderful that you are looking into as many options as possible for raising your child... good for you.

I am a single mom of three children. I have my own business and work 2 jobs and am going through yoga teacher training. Starting this year, we can add *homeschooling* to my plate :)

This year I started to homeschool my 12 year old because he was not thriving in the regular school environment. I wish I would have given him this opportunity earlier; we have gone from nights filled with tears and anxiety to an environment where learning is fun and effective. (Right now he's reading a GA Henty book ... a month ago he couldn't even read a comic book.!)

My middle child, OTOH, thrives in a school setting. He has a different learning style, so the environment works for him.

The key is to find what works for your child and their learning style and, most of all, enjoy the process. Learning really is fun for everyone involved.  And don't forget to check out charter schools, where you can receive the best of both worlds.

Peace to you on your journey!

Ps, here is a great learning style link
http://www.ldpride.net/learningstyles.MI.htm
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 23, 2008 - 10:36AM #9
Shihulud

Thanks for the link.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 24, 2008 - 6:09PM #10
mom-6
As far as I'm concerned the primary problem for some people with homeschooling is committment to doing it regularly and consistently.  If you are self-disciplined enough and committed enough, then everything is going to be great.  If not, then it could well be a disaster, as I've seen with a family I know that just doesn't seem to be accomplishing anything.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook