Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Are you planning your garden for 2008?
7 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2008 - 4:21AM #1
Frootloop67
If I didn't live in an apartment; I believe I could raise the best garden.

What are you planting this spring?

I guess this is a religious forum...so I have to share a "preacher" type of thought..

Dont you think people are like gardens? We sow the seeds we plant?

What type of garden are you planting?  Thistle? or Petunias.....

I know my garden at one time was a thicket....a rabbit couldn't run through it....

but there is another joke that goes along with that....but I cant post it....ha ha.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2008 - 11:35AM #2
MsCGheartofohio
Hello again Frootloop!

Feel free to be religious, spiritual, or not, as you prefer!

I do enjoy thinking about gardening when winter is upon us.   I love working the soil, and seeing things grow.   My Dad's family had a farm, and agriculture was the mainstay of many generations of his family.  My grandma had a true green thumb - she could make anything grow, and I've always wanted to have a have a cottage garden like hers - lots of old fashioned flowers, something in bloom right thru the whole growing season.

For me, gardening is usually like packing for a trip, though.  Being an old Girl Scout, I initially try to include anything and everything that I might want.  But since steamer trunks aren't in fashion, I end up paring it 'way down to key essentials.

Same with plantings.  I have an ultimate design for my front and back yards, which I try to work on each year, but I tend to bite off more than I can chew! ( I actually had a vegetable garden plot the first few years I was in this house, but work demands kept me from caring for  it properly, so I shifted my focus more to flowerbeds with a mix of annuals and perennial plants.)

I have a lot of spring bulbs, shrubs, grasses, hostas and daylilies (my favorite) scattered around, and I usually try to add something in each area every spring.   Some years mowing the yard and keeping the existing areas weeded and neat is about all I can handle!

At the very least, I always buy a mix of flowers and greens for containers.  I have a big planter near my front porch that gets full sun, so I load it with geraniums, marigolds and other drought-tolerant, colorful greenery.  There is a covered deck on the back of the house - I line the steps with smaller pots, and also plant a couple of hanging baskets with cascading flowers.  Containers are a great way to have a splash of color, and I can water them in the morning while I have coffee!

I really love wave petunias - for volume and color, they're hard to beat!

My best,

CG
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2008 - 9:50AM #3
Chicoryhill
For decoration, I've got plenty of bulbs around.  Low maintenance.  I like to put most of my energy into the vegetables.  This year, I hope to till up the soil more so that the root veggies have more room to move around.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2008 - 3:12PM #4
pilahawaiian
If you want a disease free Garden check it out. acresusa.com
Some books to look at too.

Someone ask me once how was I feeding the hungry, I told them by eating one small meal a day.

The books I was telling you guts about.

Does the Bible teach nutrition, by Elizabeth Baker./ Electrolytes the Stark of Life, byGillian Martlew./ Minerals for the genetic code, by Charles Walters,/ Water the ultimatecure, by Steve Meyerowitz,/ Sea engery agriculture, by Maynard Murray,/Fertility from the Ocean Deep, by Charles Walters,/ All these are at www.acresusa.com ....1-800-355-5313
And one more.....Nature's Answer, by Farley M. Anderson.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2008 - 10:03AM #5
FRG
I'm just now really starting to think about it and get excited. I'm *generally* not a spiritual person, but I can think of nothing more spiritual and more calming than planning, planting, and maintaining my garden... I bought my first house this fall, so this will be my first spring here. I can't wait until it get's warm enough to get started!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2008 - 6:35PM #6
myhandsheal
[QUOTE=MsCGheartofohio;184065]Hello again Frootloop!

Feel free to be religious, spiritual, or not, as you prefer!

I do enjoy thinking about gardening when winter is upon us.   I love working the soil, and seeing things grow.   My Dad's family had a farm, and agriculture was the mainstay of many generations of his family.  My grandma had a true green thumb - she could make anything grow, and I've always wanted to have a have a cottage garden like hers - lots of old fashioned flowers, something in bloom right thru the whole growing season.

For me, gardening is usually like packing for a trip, though.  Being an old Girl Scout, I initially try to include anything and everything that I might want.  But since steamer trunks aren't in fashion, I end up paring it 'way down to key essentials.

Same with plantings.  I have an ultimate design for my front and back yards, which I try to work on each year, but I tend to bite off more than I can chew! ( I actually had a vegetable garden plot the first few years I was in this house, but work demands kept me from caring for  it properly, so I shifted my focus more to flowerbeds with a mix of annuals and perennial plants.)

I have a lot of spring bulbs, shrubs, grasses, hostas and daylilies (my favorite) scattered around, and I usually try to add something in each area every spring.   Some years mowing the yard and keeping the existing areas weeded and neat is about all I can handle!

At the very least, I always buy a mix of flowers and greens for containers.  I have a big planter near my front porch that gets full sun, so I load it with geraniums, marigolds and other drought-tolerant, colorful greenery.  There is a covered deck on the back of the house - I line the steps with smaller pots, and also plant a couple of hanging baskets with cascading flowers.  Containers are a great way to have a splash of color, and I can water them in the morning while I have coffee!

I really love wave petunias - for volume and color, they're hard to beat!

My best,

CG[/QUOTE]
By mistake ,or bird, I ended up with tomato plants and sqush mixed in with my flowers and you know what? They thrived and produced more than the prepared veg beds. So, throw some seeds in with the flowers. The pollination from the bees will be great for your vegs. Who doesn't love fresh tomatoes?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2008 - 6:39PM #7
myhandsheal
[QUOTE=FRG;249049]I'm just now really starting to think about it and get excited. I'm *generally* not a spiritual person, but I can think of nothing more spiritual and more calming than planning, planting, and maintaining my garden... I bought my first house this fall, so this will be my first spring here. I can't wait until it get's warm enough to get started![/QUOTE]
get started with seeds indoors. keep them on top of your fridge or on top of your oven. just make sure to water frequently. if you have a south facing window move them after two sets of leaves show but keep a filter like a curtain between them and the window so they don't burn. then you will be ahead of the game when the soil warms up. Have fun, enjoy, lots of free stuff from farmers markets and library trades. ask neighbors for things, too. all gardners like to swap plants. what zone are you in?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2008 - 6:45PM #8
myhandsheal
[QUOTE=Frootloop67;180577]If I didn't live in an apartment; I believe I could raise the best garden.

What are you planting this spring?

I guess this is a religious forum...so I have to share a "preacher" type of thought..

Dont you think people are like gardens? We sow the seeds we plant?

What type of garden are you planting?  Thistle? or Petunias.....

I know my garden at one time was a thicket....a rabbit couldn't run through it....

but there is another joke that goes along with that....but I cant post it....ha ha.[/QUOTE]
do you have a patio? put tomatoes in pots or hanging baskets. so many vegs grow compact now. See if you can find a community garden near where you live. you can ususally plant in a small portin of it and it's a great way to meet people. Grow sunflowers on your balcony, one gigantic one in a pot! Have fun with a little space like it's a big space. when i lived in apts i had aphilodendron vine that wrapped around my living room ceiling twice. I have a need to plant and watch it grow. i am a master gardener. that was a fun class.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2008 - 2:08PM #9
Walsung1of9
Hi I'm an Asatru Heathen.  I have a small canine hospice/retirement facility.  I have both a (fenced) yard and a Garden of Souls.  Yesterday I poured Blot and performed a Funeral for a Lhasa Apso who had cancer-of-the-everything.  I ringed the space with silk flowers and planted turnips over the space to complete the Cycle of Life.  These still have tap roots and tops attached (got them from the Farmer's Market) and once they take hold, they will put forth leaves and flowers.  These will continue to re-seed themselves and are not for consumption.

I have also put in Chayote for border, and Ginger Roots.  Everything grows fast in the Tropics.

Futur Frau Doktor Jeri
Futur Frau Doktor Jeri
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 18, 2008 - 6:52PM #10
fruitloops67
Yes, today I took photos of my pansys because in the next month...they will be history.

I am planing on bring in some color to a north east corner apartment patio. The corner does not get much sun so I have to do with shade plants.

So far I planted some Hostas...they have been in the ground less than a week and they are already up by two inches...or more...and I started buying some hanging baskets...they are going to be great with imapatiens ...hopefully red..lots of red...that will bring in the hummingbirds..and the pinks..that should bring in the butterflys..I know the lizards have made their way back..I saw a little lizard this morning.

I know lizards are my favorite to watch.

Last year I tried to root out the nadina that was planted on the patio so that I could add a sitting area. Now I took the roots and the shoots are coming up by the fence line...I love the nandina because it is a FAST grower. I think that come Summer time...they should reach around 3 feet or so. It does not take one long to grow or fill a spot.

I love spring...so pics will be plenty this year.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook