Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
6 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2008 - 1:54PM #1
tiverton999
At 50, I am unemployed, between jobs and feeling discouraged.  I have lookied on the internet, applied for jobs, and in person and told friends and family.  I have prayed about it.  What else could I do?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 14, 2008 - 4:52PM #2
PaulaEdwina
Have you posted your resume with any organizations like Monster.com? Does your field have a professional society and a professional publication?

Paula
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 15, 2008 - 8:41AM #3
IreneAdler
Is your resume chronological? Does it list each and every job you’ve ever held? You may be the victim of age discrimination. Or you may be over qualified. Suggest composing a skills-based resume- in addition to a chronological resume.  The skills-based resume doesn’t go into when or where you worked, but what skills you possess (and where you acquired them). It also includes education. But it can hide the fact you are an older worker as it emphasizes your skills.

Also, might want to tailor resume to list only a few jobs- ones most relevant to the job you are currently applying for. Too much experience tends to make some employers shy away as they believe you will either ask for too much $ or scram the moment a better job comes along.

And are you an alumni of a college/university? Can you seek job placement assistance from them?

Also, might consider being willing to relocate.

Lastly, have you compiled a list of all companies -esp. small companies- that are in your field? Then visit their websites or otherwise contact them and submit a resume-regardless of whether they are advertising a job opening.  There's always the chance a job has just opened up and your resume hits at just the right time.  And, don't automatically discount small companies.  They can be more willing to hire older workers than larger companies. 

Irene.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 18, 2008 - 11:24PM #4
Sara333
You mentioned having prayed about your job situation. I don't have any specific advice about landing a job, but I do have some very specific advice about getting prayers answered, so you might check it out at petitioninggod.com.

I wish you God's peace---

Sara
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2008 - 3:15PM #5
tracikay
[QUOTE=tiverton999;639129]At 50, I am unemployed, between jobs and feeling discouraged.  I have lookied on the internet, applied for jobs, and in person and told friends and family.  I have prayed about it.  What else could I do?[/QUOTE]

Tiverton - I am also without a job and very very discouraged. I am age 56. Signed up with Monster, Careerbuilder, etc. Did a long term temp job this year and received a positive reference letter. I am on the computer everyday looking for work. Can't help but notice that almost everybody is using staffing agencies. To me, that is just a way for companies to avoid having job seekers coming in person to their offices. I have applied to so many staffing agencies and they are ignoring me although I contact them every week.
I have also prayed about it. However, I believe that God has abandoned me. If I did not have a good husband who has a good job to help me through this, I think I would try to end it all. It has never never been easy for me to find work throughout my work life. Truthfully, I don't even want to work anymore but know darn well that is not an option for me. Never really found my place in the work world.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2008 - 11:02PM #6
multimom
"I will never leave you, or forsake you..."  Jesus said that.  Dark messages of abandonment are not from our Heavenly Father, admonish them away from you, resist-they will flee.  The world can be a 'big bully'.  Just like a pack of ravenous dogs when they're thrown a pig's leg-so is the clamour over income in our present economy and society.  Tracikay, you are a brave and honest person to have expressed how so many are feeling inside in such an easy-to-understand way.
Together, we share a special purpose God has for us throug Christ Jesus-he knew what your special qualifications were because he put it all there when he made you.
"The children of darkness are in their generation wiser (more clever) than the children of the light..." and..."Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you".
Irene Adler's observations and advice are right-on-the-money! (Are you an HR rep.?).  Sometimes, we can't hear or find an answer that God has there for us because we already have our minds made up it has to be just one alternative.
Unfortunately (yet oportunistically) job search engines have become a quick sand of money-making gimmicks.  Proceed w/ discretion.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2008 - 11:11PM #7
multimom
'There is safety in numbers'.  We've all heard that one.  There are alot of Baby Boomers our there, that age group that is 'in between' everything from their children, their parents, their children's children.  With so many leaning on us, how are we suppose to do all this (maintain health ourselves) and foot the bill w/ no cash?
If it seems ridiculous, obviously it is ridiculous...and it is only a matter of minutes, politcally, until I believe the non-sensical equation most of us feels trapped in is faced.  Lest we become mentally and emotionally taxed and crushed, one positive note is that lean times tend to pull people closer and soften their hearts a bit.  Folks are pushed toward creative thinking, and tap into skills that have laid dormant.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 20, 2008 - 2:41PM #8
tracikay
This week I responded to a job ad on Monster. The employer called me and expressed interest in me. Sent me to a staffing agency that they have just started using for me to fill out an application and for testing. The testing was in 2 parts - a 20 minute timed complicated Math test and a 12 minute timed Abstract test. I did not have to answer all the questions on both tests. Both tests were sadistic and I don't see how it applies to the job. I did not see anything on the job description where I would have to be a Math and Abstract genius to do the job. I was shown the test results and I flunked both. I was never good in Math in school. Could it be that this company is a lot more interested in much younger ones who have not been out of school for over 30 years and still remember what they were taught? What a bunch of crap!
The staffing agency told me that they don't know if the employer would eliminate me because of my testing scores. The staffing agency are supposed to contact me this afternoon to tell me if the employer would still keep me on their candidate list.
Another thing here - I live in a major city in a suburb with public transit. Wherever I work has to be on a bus line and in geographical areas where it would be fairly easy for me to get home from work by bus and/or train. That only means 2 locations for me. Not all areas around me has public transit service. My husband needs our car for his work - works nights until midnight. Next month his shift changes and he will work until 10:00 p.m. So many places I can't apply at because of transportation issues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 20, 2008 - 4:44PM #9
happy2be
First thing to do is stop focusing on the work and start focusing on YOU.  Everyone has a guardian angel just waiting to assist, but can't until asked.  So, first and foremost ask your guardian angel to help you with finding your inner strength, your inner confidence and your inner courage.  Then seek out finding joy in just the tiniest of life's creations.  Ask for help in seeing beauty and joy in creation.  Pick up a book called "Angels" by Silver Raven Wolf and see that sometimes it's not God who is not listening, but we who are not listening. 
Ask your angel and the various appointed angels to open doors for you, to lead your path with the light of faith and  confidence.  Goodness, 50 is not old or nearing old!  Tell yourself you're 40 (I do it all the time).  What you think and believe is what manifests itself in your aura. 
Ask your angel to walk with you and be there to bring out your blessed qualities.  If you wish to shine, then it is imperative to see the inner light and let it radiate outward.  And remember, no matter where you work or what line of work you are in BLOOM WHERE YOU"RE PLANTED.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2008 - 10:41AM #10
peachwithoutapit
Volunteer at your local hospital...I've been volunteering and am now being considered for a job in Patient Advocacy which I've learned is my PASSION.  i'm praying for YOU!!
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook