Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Do you have a degree you don't use?
9 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2008 - 1:54AM #1
Sailorlal79
This thread is merely intended to make me feel better for abandoning my career path. I have a masters in it, but it just doesn't do it for me. So I'd love to hear about people who have degrees they don't use, and how they manage to make a living anyway:)
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2008 - 1:54AM #2
Sailorlal79
This thread is merely intended to make me feel better for abandoning my career path. I have a masters in it, but it just doesn't do it for me. So I'd love to hear about people who have degrees they don't use, and how they manage to make a living anyway:)
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jul 26, 2008 - 9:08PM #3
hmstrwheel
I have a BA in anthropology.  I'm back in school for a tech degree in electronics engineering technology.  Why?  With my 4-year degree I was working as a veterinary assistant making $7.00/hr (at age 33).  Having still one more quarter until graduation for the AAS degree I already have a job where I make QUITE a bit more than that.  Sad, isn't it?  :p
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jul 27, 2008 - 4:18PM #4
Sailorlal79
Well, I have to figure out how to make a reasonable income with a MA, but not in anything useful:)
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 14, 2008 - 4:49PM #5
PaulaEdwina
I have a BS in Microbiology but have about had it with being a tech (lay offs, lateral movement, etc) and went back to school back in 2006 for a PhD in Public Health. Got my Master of Science in Public Health earlier this year, and next semester is my last class before dissertation. I want to move out of corporate and into government (Dept of Health) and academia. I've already begun the academia path as I now teach for the University of Phoenix.

There is no crime in changing career paths, the crime is wasting your time being miserable out of some sense of obligation.

BTW here's a hint that I needed to make a change; if you ask me what I do I would more likely tell you I am an instructor, even though it's adjunct and PT, than tell you what I do full time.

JMO
Paula
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2008 - 7:31PM #6
great
I recently got my degree in medical office adminisration and I got an honors degreee and I hate the idea of working in todays medical field. I have been trying anyway to get a job in the field since jan and have had no luck. I have moved to another state and tried to find jobs in any field I can think of.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2008 - 1:52PM #7
DotNotInOz
I'm now old enough (almost 60) that I have an excuse for being a stay-at-home wife, I suppose. Sometimes, though, I regret that I have an MA in liberal arts from an expensive private college that is basically doing no economic good for my husband and me. There is, though, that oft-cited factor of its having broadened my intellectual horizons substantially both then and now. The old "made me a well-rounded person" saw...

I spent almost twenty years teaching which I sort of liked since I really enjoyed working with teenagers but often detested for the "public servant" aspect. Academic freedom is a joke in most public high school teaching. You're essentially expected to teach the textbook. I ended up teaching English much as it was taught to me in the 1960's. Attempts at innovation were not looked upon positively even though I had some ideas that I thought might enable students with learning difficulties to progress. Oh, well...

So, I would say even if you don't use your degree at all in whatever job you find, look for work that fulfills you in some way while, hopefully, paying enough that you can live as comfortably as you desire.

Even though it paid diddly, I was happy for almost a decade working in a large chain bookstore. I could talk books with customers who loved reading as much as I did, and then, there were the challenges of helping non-readers find a good gift for a reader they were trying to buy for. I developed a cadre of customers who would look for or ask for me when they came into the store. That was really gratifying, knowing that my efforts to suggest new reading directions that I thought might intrigue them were appreciated.

Mundane jobs that you might not otherwise consider can be quite fulfilling, sometimes unexpectedly so, if you aren't self-supporting or can get used to a much-reduced lifestyle.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2008 - 2:12PM #8
DesertKat
I have a BA in Anthropology and a post bach certification to teach secondary science.  I am no longer an archeaologist due to having severely injured my knee and no longer a teacher because I hated the monotony.  I went back to school and have a BSN and am a registered nurse working a new job in the psychiatric field.

The thing is, even though you may not actively use a degree anymore, its still there.  Anthropology and education are huge influences on my style of nursing and they have added quite a bit to how I percieve myself and my patients.  So just because you don't use a degree explicitly doesn't mean you aren't really using it.  Never be ashamed of any education you get because it always adds to you and never detracts.  If you change careers, so what- most of us do now adays.  Its part of life.

I wouldn't trade my career path for anyone- its made me who I am and shaped how I think about the world.  And yes, I intend to continue taking classes- not just to get a masters in nursing, but also courses outside my field like history and art.  Once you stop learning you start becoming stagnent and think you know all the answers.  Nothing is farther from the truth.

Good luck with your new path!
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.
Winston Churchill
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2008 - 2:51PM #9
ManzanitaBear
Frankly, I'd have made much more money, and probably had a much better career path, if I hadn't gone to college.  If I hadn't spent all those years struggling to get a degree, like I was supposed to.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2008 - 3:19PM #10
tracikay
This question has been on my mind for quite some time now. Why is a college degree so important? There are people who are not college material but they spend years and lots of money getting a college degree anyway because society has told them that they are worthless without it.
Well, what about those who work in service jobs - custodians, servers, assembly line workers, sanitation workers, road repair, groundskeepers, fast food workers, maids, housekeepers, and other low level jobs. Where is the respect for those jobs? The world can't exist without those workers.
I don't think I ever heard a parent say that they want their child to become a custodian or a fast food worker.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook