Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
10 years ago  ::  Oct 13, 2007 - 8:53AM #1
ShirleyGoodness
Do you pray in front of your co-workers? If so, is it a silent prayer or a visible/verbal action?
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Oct 17, 2007 - 7:01AM #2
Tmarie64
Prayer and religion are two things that do not belong in the work place because there are people who are not comfortable with it.  I pray, but I do it silently, because I know there are those who don't pray or are not the same denomination as I. 
I pray the way I want anyone else at work to pray... quietly and without drawing attention to it.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Oct 20, 2007 - 10:27AM #3
DustyLady
I don't have a problem with prayer in the workplace, as long as it is done so it doesn't attract attention.  I don't like to be made an unwilling participant in others' religious practices just by virtue of my presence, and so I won't submit anyone else to that same thing.  Recently I worked in a place where everyone else in my department would have group Bible study during lunch.  As much as I really liked these people, this practice made me extremely uncomfortable because they had beliefs different from mine.  It made me feel more than a little bit unwelcome.  I have to admit that I was glad when my time there was over.

Dusty
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Oct 20, 2007 - 6:54PM #4
Crest
[QUOTE=Tmarie64;4036]Prayer and religion are two things that do not belong in the work place because there are people who are not comfortable with it.  I pray, but I do it silently, because I know there are those who don't pray or are not the same denomination as I. 
I pray the way I want anyone else at work to pray... quietly and without drawing attention to it.[/QUOTE]
'Fraid what I was going to say has already been said in this post.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2007 - 5:54PM #5
yes50
I do not pray in front of people in the work place. It can cause problems.  I pray alone in a room with the door shut. Just as Jesus says we should.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2007 - 5:54PM #6
yes50
I do not pray in front of people in the work place. It can cause problems.  I pray alone in a room with the door shut. Just as Jesus says we should.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 5:13PM #7
Seshen
I'm OK with a co-worker praying in front of me, as long as it's quiet (appropriate for the workplace) and I'm not expected to participate in any way.  Now, if they were praying openly for me to not be a pagan, for example, then that directly affects me and it's not appropriate.  But quiet prayer in general?  Doesn't bother me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2007 - 2:09PM #8
JoAllison
I pray at work, but not in front of anyone. Just silently or in the Ladies Room.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2007 - 1:46PM #9
DustyLady
Personally, I believe a prayer can be as short and as simple as a few words said silently as I'm going about my duties.  I work in a nursing home, and have made something of a specialty of working with dementia patients, especially those in the end stages of the disease.  It's not uncommon at all for me to pause for just a moment and silently say something like, "Lord, please ease his pain," or even, "Lord, please take her to you quickly, if it is Your will."  No one knows what I'm doing except for me.

Dusty
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2007 - 1:53PM #10
sydneymoon
I work in a school. I pray silently for wisdom and compassion as I work w/ each student.
Margaret Mead: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook