Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Spiritual time in the office
11 years ago  ::  Oct 13, 2007 - 8:49AM #1
ShirleyGoodness
Does your company provide a special space for employees to pray, meditate or perform religious rituals in private?
Quick Reply
Cancel
11 years ago  ::  Oct 17, 2007 - 10:48PM #2
keesiewonder
No, not that I'm aware of. There is a break room with some tables, chairs and a couch, a cafeteria, and I expect there is a meeting room open most times should someone wish to make a private phone call or pray/meditate.
Quick Reply
Cancel
11 years ago  ::  Oct 17, 2007 - 10:48PM #3
keesiewonder
No, not that I'm aware of. There is a break room with some tables, chairs and a couch, a cafeteria, and I expect there is a meeting room open most times should someone wish to make a private phone call or pray/meditate.
Quick Reply
Cancel
11 years ago  ::  Oct 20, 2007 - 10:19AM #4
DustyLady
Most of the places that I have worked in can't afford to designate space for that sort of thing.  Most rooms that are used only for short periods during the day usually end up getting things stored in them for the sake of convenience.  A nursing home I used to work at actually had a room that had originally been set aside as a chapel, but because no one used it it gradually became just another store-room.  (Religious services took place in the dining room, where there was room for more people.)  What I think would be better is a general atmosphere of support for those who wish to take a few moments for spiritual matters, whether that be for prayer or study or just quiet reflection.  This could take place in a break room, at an individual's desk, or in any other quiet corner.

Dusty
Quick Reply
Cancel
11 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2007 - 11:55AM #5
Tmarie64
I don't go to work for spiritual time.  Workplaces have far too many different types of spirituality to offer something like this.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
11 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2007 - 12:16AM #6
delmarvamom
No I have not seen nor heard of that.  I would think if there was a special need, such as one says prayers everyday at certain time, a place could be designated if there was space. I would think a reasonable accomodation could be made.  If it is a less formal need, I see no reason for space to be necessary.

This made me think about when I was pumping breast milk at work. I decided the bathroom stall was just not acceptable. I talked to Human Resources and they had an empty office they let me use. It was not hard to meet my need. I would not expect, however, unless it was a very large corporation, to have a special breast pumping area, or prayer space.
Quick Reply
Cancel
11 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2007 - 2:38PM #7
icecane
That sounds terrific but putting it into practice is another matter.  Where do you draw the line on a refreshing spiritual boost?  A long lunch break, an afternoon in the park, playing hookie for 8 hours?
Quick Reply
Cancel
11 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2007 - 2:42PM #8
icecane
It could be said escapism or blame it on a lack of spirituality is the reason and cure for what goes on in the workplace. It would be the easy way out and probably wrong. The working world is tough no matter what environment you are in or type of work you do. It is the same all over. That's life. It could be worse?
Quick Reply
Cancel
11 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2007 - 2:38PM #9
icecane
That sounds terrific but putting it into practice is another matter.  Where do you draw the line on a refreshing spiritual boost?  A long lunch break, an afternoon in the park, playing hookie for 8 hours?
Quick Reply
Cancel
11 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2007 - 2:42PM #10
icecane
It could be said escapism or blame it on a lack of spirituality is the reason and cure for what goes on in the workplace. It would be the easy way out and probably wrong. The working world is tough no matter what environment you are in or type of work you do. It is the same all over. That's life. It could be worse?
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook