Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

2 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2015 - 1:33PM #1
Aka_me

After twelve years of strict vegetarianism, she began to suffer from anemia and chronic fatigue syndrome, and she experienced stomach pains for two hours after every meal. "I was completely debilitated," she tells me. "Then I changed the way I ate."

This suggests that roughly 75% of people who quit eating meat eventually change their minds and return to a diet that includes animal flesh. It seems that for most people, vegetarianism is a phase rather than a permanent change in lifestyle.

I dream in my lifetime uhmericans will come to realize hezbollah, hamas, and isis gain followers by helping society AND the only way to defeat them is to perform greater good.

the average person is 8 times more likely to be murdered by a cop than a radical terrorist
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2015 - 1:48PM #2
rabello

Anecdotes about individual people constitute proof of nothing.

I could just as easily conclude from these statistics, charts and graphs, answers to survey questions, that Americans are too lazy to live up to their stated values, when meat-products are so easy for the taking

The articles are more than 4 years old.  What are they doing here, now?   Surely anyone who is anti-vegetarian, anti-vegan can find more current material...

Let's check back with the healthy-looking "raw meat only" blonde in the 4+ old story in another 20 years or so.  Let's see if she ended up needing coronary stents, ended up having a heart attack or a stroke, or was told by a professional dietition that due to her CAD, she needs to go back to vegetarianism.   Then we'll have some data to "talk" about.

Does this 4+ year old report qualify as "US News" and/or "US Politics"?  I don't think so. 

Black Lives Matter
Muslim Lives Matter
There is no such thing as "illegals"
LGBT Lives Matter
Poor Women's Lives Matter

"If we jump too quickly to the universal formulation, 'all lives matter,' then we miss the fact that black people have not yet been included in the idea of 'all lives.'"

--Professor Judith Butler
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2015 - 2:09PM #3
rabello

There is only one known vegan who bothers to post on this board, which means that NOBODY else has the credibility to opine on 4+ year old articles, some of which rely on 10 year old answers to 10 year old survey questions.   Meanwhile, the fact remains, anecdotes about individual experiences prove nothing.  Even the 10 year old survey had less than 100 "ex-vegetarian" respondents -- hardly a legitimate "sample size" from which to draw conclusions.

The thread is meaningless, esp for this board

Black Lives Matter
Muslim Lives Matter
LGBT Lives Matter

"If we jump too quickly to the universal formulation, 'all lives matter,' then we miss the fact that black people have not yet been included in the idea of 'all lives.'"

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2015 - 2:23PM #4
3neez

Oct 10, 2015 -- 2:09PM, rabello wrote:

There is only one known vegan who bothers to post on this board, which means that NOBODY else has the credibility to opine on 4+ year old articles, some of which rely on 10 year old answers to 10 year old survey questions.   Meanwhile, the fact remains, anecdotes about individual experiences prove nothing.  Even the 10 year old survey had less than 100 "ex-vegetarian" respondents -- hardly a legitimate "sample size" from which to draw conclusions.

The thread is meaningless, esp for this board

No it isn't. 

Many vegans aren't really vegans and most revert back to being omnivores.

Are you trying to disrupt the thread?

All Lives Matter

Keep Voting Democrat
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2015 - 2:35PM #5
rabello

There is only one vegan on this board and she doens't need to read anecodotal material presented as fact but meant as an attack/mockery

There is nothing that says "most vegans aren't" 

The thread is meaningless, for this board.  There is a board for vegetarians, vegans and animal rights activists, I believe.  This dated article belongs there. 

Black Lives Matter
Muslim Lives Matter
LGBT Lives Matter

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2015 - 2:55PM #6
Find1Answer

Oct 10, 2015 -- 1:33PM, Aka_me wrote:

After twelve years of strict vegetarianism, she began to suffer from anemia and chronic fatigue syndrome, and she experienced stomach pains for two hours after every meal. "I was completely debilitated," she tells me. "Then I changed the way I ate."

This suggests that roughly 75% of people who quit eating meat eventually change their minds and return to a diet that includes animal flesh. It seems that for most people, vegetarianism is a phase rather than a permanent change in lifestyle.

I do not know the validity of this theory but I read about a case  meat and vegetables.    A vegetarian author and spokesman had a spouse that did well on vegan diet until she did not do well.   Her researched her ancestry and her ancestors came from scandanavian countries.   This meant that her ancestral diet was meat.    His was from southern coastal areas where fruits and vegetables were grown as well as fish made up his ancestral diet.    He espoused that our ancestral makeup dictated our diets.

as to the topic  people for the most part do not acknowledge what they do eat.    not if they are honest.    One can have a vegan mindset but in practice may not follow it strictly.   Fast food  ie greasy hamburger is like a drug.   They say that sugar alters the mind more so than cocaine.    

Human nature leads people to put each other in neat boxes. Some put all women into one category, even though Sarah Palin and Hillary Clinton both exist. Black Lives Matter activists are arrested for civil disobedience nationwide, but we talk about “the black vote” as though Republican Ben Carson isn’t running for president and conservative Clarence Thomas isn’t a justice of the Supreme Court.

The Right Wing and the Left Wing come from the same bird.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2015 - 5:23PM #7
Beliefnet_community

This thread was moved from US News & Politics.

We are listening! Problems, complaints, other issues? Send us a message at Beliefnet_community.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook