Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Semi-colon - Symbol of Continuation
2 years ago  ::  Jul 12, 2015 - 11:40PM #21
Erey

Jul 11, 2015 -- 11:11PM, in_my_opinion wrote:

Jul 11, 2015 -- 10:31PM, Erey wrote:

Jul 10, 2015 -- 7:37PM, in_my_opinion wrote:

Jul 10, 2015 -- 3:24PM, Erey wrote:

This is actually one movement I could get behind.

I don't like tattoos as a rule.  Not for religious reasons just becuase 99.9% of them are pretty banal or just badly done. 

The one thought I have is since this is such an upworthy idea if everyone is going to get a semicolon tattoo - people that have not dealt with major depression and other problems like that.   Then it will kind of water-down the gesture and make it meaningless.   That would be too bad.  

There are a variety of reasons for it. Some are just grateful that one of their parents, kids or siblings didn't give in to the desire for oblivion and shatter the hearts of those who love them.

Sympathy and love do not water down symbols, they support them, and give them greater acceptance.

It kind of works like a commercial. The more times you see it the stronger pull it has on you.

Personally against tattoos, but many of them are very beautiful, and will compliment those who have them.

Have lots of family members who sport them and they are all wonderful people.

I see and respect your point.  I think my earlier thought had to do with someone in a bad way, struggling can noticed someone with the semicolon tattoo and talk to them.  Then it might be kind of a let down to learn that the person they approached does not have the personal experience you assumed they had.  That this is just another tattoo  they got because they think tattoos are cool.

Ahhh! Now understand your point. That idea had not been considered. Still there are so many different experiences that could come under that symbol. Fighting deep depressions, overcoming other psychological traumas like PTSD, surviving severe abuse, etc.

I get what they are saying is that the person had such a profound problem,  overwhelming challenges that life became unbearable and they did not know how they would overcome and carry on.  Maybe it was heavy suicidal thoughts,  or maybe it was just very profound anxiety or any number of things.   But my impression is that it is a very serious issue that was completely overwhelming.  

Like everyone else I have had bad things happen to me and I have been very despondant and overwhelmed.  However,  I don't think I would qualify for a semicolon tattoo.  I certainly know poeple who would,  but I am not a person with a particularly heavy past.  People are so fast and loose with tattoos I hate to see the symbol used in a trite manner. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 12, 2015 - 11:43PM #22
Erey

I think this relates to the OP but it is a bit of a detour on this topic

www.therebel.media/healthy_24_year_old_b...

In Belgium they have the right to assisted suicide.  This otherwise healthy 24 year old woman who has suffered from strong depression has been granted the right to die.    I do believe she has been in a tremendous amount of pain.  But I have a hard time believing that she can't get better.  I could see her in a year or so as someone with a very legitimate semicolon tattoo.  I personally don't think she should be helped to commit suicide. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2015 - 3:09PM #23
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2015 - 3:26AM #24
in_my_opinion

Jul 12, 2015 -- 11:43PM, Erey wrote:

I think this relates to the OP but it is a bit of a detour on this topic

www.therebel.media/healthy_24_year_old_b...

In Belgium they have the right to assisted suicide.  This otherwise healthy 24 year old woman who has suffered from strong depression has been granted the right to die.    I do believe she has been in a tremendous amount of pain.  But I have a hard time believing that she can't get better.  I could see her in a year or so as someone with a very legitimate semicolon tattoo.  I personally don't think she should be helped to commit suicide. 

Yes, it is a problem that cannot be solved easily. Often such medications as Prozac are useless and the depression comes on without being controllable. There really are a series of palliative therapies but for some people nothing works and it is like continuous mental torture with the only hope seeming to be oblivion, all the time.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook