Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

3 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2015 - 11:33AM #1
mikeincolorado
Sparked by another thread...
There seems to be an assumtion that self-centeredness cannot be overcome.
Why?
I don't subscribe to the notion personally, but I am interested if it is widespread and how people support it - or if it is even given much thought.
Mike

"When I've learned enough to really live, I'll be old enough to die" - Johnny Cash
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2015 - 2:25PM #2
Seefan

Feb 16, 2015 -- 11:33AM, mikeincolorado wrote:

Sparked by another thread...
There seems to be an assumtion that self-centeredness cannot be overcome.
Why?
I don't subscribe to the notion personally, but I am interested if it is widespread and how people support it - or if it is even given much thought.

For me everything comes down to definition and understanding of terms.  So what is meant by self-centerness?  It can mean caring 'only' for self at the expense of others.  In this case we definitely need to find a way to move away from such a negative condition for it drags us down.  But there is also the self-centeredness that allows us to survive in this life which can be healthy!  If we were purely spiritually we would lack the basic skills to survive for long!  Extremes of the pendulum never works ...

What I subscribe to is that human beings have a dual nature in the sense that we are attached to this earthly life through an ego which allow us to survive in a hostile environment - the earth.  We are also attached to the spiritual realm through our spiritual side of that nature - a higher plain of existence.  While on in this physical existence we are both of the material and physical and have defense mechanisms design for us to survive as long as humanly possible, when all systems work as designed. 

In the sense that we are attached to this physical life we are self-centered to the degree that our survival instinct protects itself from harm.  But the well-balanced human is not so to the degree that we will sacrifice others for our own welfare and comfort.  That situation is created by an imbalance.  The spiritual side of our nature is continually seeking a balance between both sides.  The problem this imbalance creates is for us to be 'controlled' by our ego beyond its usefullness as a productive survival skill.  But we do have the resources to correct this situation through effort.  A process is outlined in the 12 steps ...

In the human world, if we do not understand the divine world, is that a proof that the world of God does not exist?  (Divine Philosophy, p. 117 ... Baha'i Writings)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 25, 2015 - 10:04PM #3
mikeincolorado

Thanks Seefan

Mike

"When I've learned enough to really live, I'll be old enough to die" - Johnny Cash
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook