Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View LA: Meatless Mondays
6 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2012 - 10:38AM #1
Ironhold
link

Los Angeles is "encouraging" the city to go vegetarian one day a week, both for "health" reasons and for concern over the "pollution caused by meat ranching".

Anyone wanna lay odds on how long before they try to make it an all-out law?

I bet people are already stocking up on jerky so that they can sneak a strip or two when no one's looking.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2012 - 11:28AM #2
Roodog

Nov 10, 2012 -- 10:38AM, Ironhold wrote:

link

Los Angeles is "encouraging" the city to go vegetarian one day a week, both for "health" reasons and for concern over the "pollution caused by meat ranching".

I bet people are already stocking up on jerky so that they can sneak a strip or two when no one's looking.

I think that parents ought to raise their concerns with the School Board.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2012 - 11:30AM #3
farragut

The majority of my breakfasts are meatless. I think that's sufficient obeisance to the vegetarian gods.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2012 - 11:42AM #4
mountain_man

It's revealing that vegetarians have to use the government to force their beliefs on others. Vegetarianism is no longer a choice of what one eats. It's become a religion and just like other religions they want to use the government as their spokesperson.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2012 - 12:50PM #5
Ebon

Probably a good idea. Most of us eat too much meat anyway.

Your conservative hysteria is showing again. I will bet my book collection that no such law is seriously attempted within the next fifty years.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2012 - 1:01PM #6
Ken

Nov 10, 2012 -- 12:50PM, Ebon wrote:

Your conservative hysteria is showing again. I will bet my book collection that no such law is seriously attempted within the next fifty years.

Such a law would be unenforceable.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2012 - 1:43PM #7
McAtheist

From the article: "The council resolution referred to the link between livestock and environmental problem, and noted that reduced consumption of animal-based foods can "lower our carbon footprint."

Actually, I would like to see a comparison of the carbon footprint between a cattle ranch and a modern farm that grows crops.  I am not at all convinced that the farm is better environmentally.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2012 - 2:49PM #8
mountain_man

Nov 10, 2012 -- 1:43PM, McAtheist wrote:

Actually, I would like to see a comparison of the carbon footprint between a cattle ranch and a modern farm that grows crops.  I am not at all convinced that the farm is better environmentally.

Ah, there's the rub.... Many of these new GMO's use much less fuel, chemicals and fertilizers to grow. They're better for the environment. Some people cannot understand that since they are stuck behind the hysteria and junk science of the anti-GMO lynch mob.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2012 - 3:54PM #9
Roodog

I wonder if that applies to kids to bring sack lunches to school or go home for lunch.Undecided

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2012 - 4:03PM #10
CoolWarrior

Nov 10, 2012 -- 12:50PM, Ebon wrote:

Ebon:

It's interesting how so many people resist trying to give their offspring a more healthful diet, isn't it?

From a psychological point of view such parents take these minimal attempts to improve the overall health of their children as criticisms of their own lifestyles.

If you ever get to see public meetings where such hapless parents are protesting more healthful food for their children note the size of the parents' lardazzes.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook