Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View America's Healthiest City to Get McDonald's
3 years ago  ::  Jan 30, 2012 - 12:20AM #11
mountain_man

Jan 28, 2012 -- 4:08PM, solfeggio wrote:

Ah, but once a fast food franchise is established in a city, people will patronise it in droves, as they do everywhere else.

That just means the store is providing a much needed service.

The temptation to stop in and indulge in a quick, cheap, fatty, salty meal is just too great.

No, it is not. Not everyone in that town will eat every meal there. Hyperbolic arguments, especially one blaming someone else for problems, never make for a rational discussion.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2012 - 9:33AM #12
Ken

McDonald's is opening a new restaurant in an American city. This is a Hot Topic?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2012 - 10:47AM #13
mountain_man

Jan 31, 2012 -- 9:33AM, Ken wrote:

McDonald's is opening a new restaurant in an American city. This is a Hot Topic?

It's not a hot topic. The only reason it was news is that the town is overrun with Seventh Day Adventists that believe their god gets upset when they don't eat right. Some people actually believe that McDonalds is unhealthy. I say that if this god really cared it would not have allowed it to be built there.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2012 - 4:45PM #14
Yavanna

Jan 26, 2012 -- 10:05PM, solfeggio wrote:

America's healthiest city, Loma Linda, California, which has never had a McDonald's restaurant, is nevertheless to have a McDonald's one day soon.

www.vancouversun.com/health/McDonald+ope...

Long considered to be one of the world's healthiest cities, Loma Linda has a population of 23,000, half of whom are Seventh Day Adventists.  Adventists are generally known to be vegetarians who don't smoke or drink, and  various studies have shown that they also have lower rates of cancer and heart disease.

veganhealth.org/articles/dxrates#advent

sandiegoadventistforum.org/san-diego-adv...

record.net.au/items/lower-cancer-risk-fo...

In future, it will be interesting to see if consumption of fast foods at McDonald's will show changes in Adventists' health.   

They already have a fast food restaurant in their town and I don't see how a McDonald's being built is going to change their religious beliefs...?

Maybe you think the Golden Arches force people to convert in the public square and eat McNuggets or be beheaded?

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2